Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,813,219 times

Advertisements

PATCH VOICES: On 800 Glenwood, Neighborhoods Have 'Right' Strategy - Business - East Atlanta, GA Patch

Quote:
Last week, we lost a battle to appeal the developer's SAP... but the war is not over. We believe the Board of Zoning Adjustment ruled incorrectly on the issue of standing and therefore did not hear all of our arguments detailing why the SAP was issued in error. In the coming days we plan to take our challenge to the next level. Our friends and neighbors from all over Atlanta need to be prepared for the long haul and for it to be a bumpy ride. We will have ups and downs, but in the end we know we have the right strategy.

As an additional note, this Saturday is the "38th Grant Park Mothball HOOTENANNY". Proceeds from the event go to support the 800 Glenwood fight and local schools.

MOTHBALL 2013 THIS Saturday! HOOTENANNY! - MOTHBALL 2013 THIS Saturday! HOOTENANNY! | Grant Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,619,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The "city" does not have absolute control over this. I think the planning office is at fault and the elected officials could fire people over this as planning officials did not act in the best interest of the citizens. But the damage has been done.

The city did change the zoning, so undesirable future permits will get rejected. However, it will be interesting to see what approach can be used to stop this already approved SAP. Regardless, I think we are still going to court.
Can any official be held liable?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I doubt it. Unless someone is able to prove the planning office is getting direct bribes from Fuqua.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:03 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,558,623 times
Quote:
I doubt it. Unless someone is able to prove the planning office is getting direct bribes from Fuqua.
The planning office only makes recommendations. The decisions are made by the the city, and it is not bound to follow the planning department.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The planning office only makes recommendations. The decisions are made by the the city, and it is not bound to follow the planning department.
The SAP and building permit for 800 Glenwood, as I understand it, were approved by the planning office and did not require any actions by the mayor or city council nor was there really an opportunity for them to stop the approval in the process.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:59 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,287,116 times
If you live in City of Atlanta Council District 1, you can chose to: vote Carla Smith out of office.

Regardless what people think on the surface, that lady is pretty much a stooge for Jeff Fuqua and the potential Wal-Mart big box development to go up in 800 Glenwood block.

There is a young fellow campaigning there who goes by the name of Robert Welsh.

I would ask anyone to give this guy some special consideration for Carla's seat.

Rob Welsh for Atlanta City Council District 1 - Carla Smith Dropped the Big Box Ball - YouTube

BIG MONEY CARLA - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post

Last edited by AcidSnake; 10-20-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 06:10 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,287,116 times
Apparently, City Hall slept on the revamping of Atlanta's zoning ordinances.

And that bureaucratic laziness unfortunately, has made it possible for visionless commercial property developers like Jeff Fuqua to come in and totally scew around with the Master Plan for the Atlanta Beltline.

Check out page 5 of the Sept 2013 CL article on Jeff Fuqua.

This man and his last name is slowly becoming a dirty word in Atlanta (for good reasons, I'd say).

Jeff Fuqua: Atlanta's Most Controversial Developer | Cover Story | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,558,623 times
Quote:
The SAP and building permit for 800 Glenwood, as I understand it, were approved by the planning office and did not require any actions by the mayor or city council nor was there really an opportunity for them to stop the approval in the process.
Well, that's a good point. As I recall, on SAP's the planning department makes recommendations to the BZA, which can either accept or reject them.

I would think the city clearly has the right to decide whether it's going to direct its law department to fight for the applicant, however.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would think the city clearly has the right to decide whether it's going to direct its law department to fight for the applicant, however.
True. At least push them to not take sides and stay out of it.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM

The neighborhood has appealed the zoning ruling that the residents did not have standing to challenge the development.

Grant Park Appeals Zoning Decision on Fuqua Project - Business - East Atlanta, GA Patch

Read the actual appeal here: http://gpna.org/Files/gpna/2013/Appeal110813.pdf

GPNA also is holding a City Wide 800 Glenwood Conversation at the Zoo Atlanta ARC Building Coca-Cola World Theater on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta