U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,359,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Honestly, I am glad I got out of Atlanta before I got caught in the crossfire of one of those ignorant-ass rapper feuds that seems to occur on a monthly basis down there.
Yeah that happens all the time, not. Atlanta ended the 2011 with under 80 murders, how many did DC have?
I think a WalMart here is a bad idea. It works for Vine City as a foothold for an area that needs retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
JPD

11,907 posts, read 14,561,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The Avondale store is what, 6 years old, maybe? Doubt they will be scuttuling that one in the near future.
I give it two years from the date Suburban Plaza store opens.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,608,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yeah that happens all the time, not. Atlanta ended the 2011 with under 80 murders, how many did DC have?
I think a WalMart here is a bad idea. It works for Vine City as a foothold for an area that needs retail.
Where are you getting your figures from, boss? According to this article in CL, Atlanta had 87 murders in 2011

Atlanta's murder rate was down (again) in 2011 | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

DC had 109. If you factor in the population difference(Atl 420,000 D.C. 618,000) then it's pretty hard to argue that DC was really more violent than Atlanta in 2011. That said, I'll readily admit that DC has a crime problem but as far as I can tell in my limited time here it's restricted to the SE and eastern edges of the city. I tend to stay out of those parts of town and honestly I'm not missing much by doing so. In Atlanta, most of the handful of interesting places tend to be either in bad parts of town or are bordered by them.

Not to mention the fact that some Atlanta suburbs like East Point, College Park, Clayton county and even parts of Cobb and Gwinnett counties have crazy crime rates.

Anyway, DC gentrification is still going strong while Atlanta's appears to have stalled out. That can only push the crime rate lower.

Oh wait a minute, I live in Arlington which hasn't had a single murder in 2 years: Arlington County Homicide Free for Two Years / Arlington County Virginia

Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM

22,352 posts, read 16,359,253 times
Quote:
Where are you getting your figures from, boss? According to this article in CL, Atlanta had 87 murders in 2011
Okay so I was off by 7. Congrats to Arlington, can't hate on that.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM

112 posts, read 251,074 times
I live in Ormewood Park, and I would welcome Walmart to the area. lol Though, I would agree that I'm not sure the roads in the area are big enough to handle the kind of traffic it could bring.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 AM

9,996 posts, read 6,991,612 times
This development has been officially announced: Fuqua plans big Glenwood retail project - Atlanta Business Chronicle

It says it will have a 155,000 sq ft anchor, but it does not say who. Foqua is the same developer as the disputed Buckhead Walmart.

More:
http://www.fuquadevelopment.com/file...nwoodplace.pdf
Fuqua Development - Our Projects

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,435,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
^I think working in a bar or restaurant is the only way to have a livable wage while flexibility for auditions. That's why virtually every struggling actor/model/singer is working in food service. Hey, with tips, it isn't half bad! I haven't met anyone who got well off waiting tables (Except a select few creme of the crop fancy restaurant waiters, who usually aren't wannabe actors at that point)... but itsb etter than $9 an hour as a receptionist with no hope for tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post

It doesn't happen all the time. Now heroin overdose in the northern suburbs happen all the time and why do people who move from Atlanta are always in our forum

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 09-19-2012 at 08:06 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,435,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Atlanta's murder rate was down (again) in 2011 | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

DC had 109. If you factor in the population difference(Atl 420,000 D.C. 618,000) then it's pretty hard to argue that DC was really more violent than Atlanta in 2011. That said, I'll readily admit that DC has a crime problem but as far as I can tell in my limited time here it's restricted to the SE and eastern edges of the city. I tend to stay out of those parts of town and honestly I'm not missing much by doing so. In Atlanta, most of the handful of interesting places tend to be either in bad parts of town or are bordered by them.

Not to mention the fact that some Atlanta suburbs like East Point, College Park, Clayton county and even parts of Cobb and Gwinnett counties have crazy crime rates.

Anyway, DC gentrification is still going strong while Atlanta's appears to have stalled out. That can only push the crime rate lower.

Oh wait a minute, I live in Arlington which hasn't had a single murder in 2 years: Arlington County Homicide Free for Two Years / Arlington County Virginia
I see you left out PG County which had 97 murders. Fyi, this is the Atlanta forum. If you want to talk about dc go to the dc forum. We don't care about dc here

Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,019,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This development has been officially announced: Fuqua plans big Glenwood retail project - Atlanta Business Chronicle

It says it will have a 155,000 sq ft anchor, but it does not say who. Foqua is the same developer as the disputed Buckhead Walmart.

More:
http://www.fuquadevelopment.com/file...nwoodplace.pdf
Fuqua Development - Our Projects

Interesting. With the newly renovated highschool, and this development across the street, traffic in the area is really going to stink without some major changes to the roadways. I think I pointed this out earlier, but you've got three primary entrances to Glenwood Ave in that area. All of them already suck. Hope they've got solutions planned for some or all of these.

1) Via Bill Kennedy (from Memorial Drive or I-20 East). The Memorial/BK intersection has no protected turn lanes, and heavy traffic. Frequently gets very backed up during peak commute hours. Because the Belt Line goes through right there, and bikers have appointed themselves above traffic laves, you always get bikes trying to cross three lanes of traffic going 45 mph.

2) Via Moreland (from East Atlanta Village). This intersection takes for-freaking-ever if you are crossing Moreland on Glenwood, because of the dog-leg bend in the road, and creates a really long light cycle. Not uncommon to wait 2-3 cycles to get though the light as it sits today.

3)Via Boulevard (from Grant Park). There is a median down Boulevard that prevents left turns onto, or off of, Glenwood.

Finally, Glenwood is only one lane in each direction in the area of the development. Widening it will be difficult to impossible, because of all the residential housing that fronts on it.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 AM

28,278 posts, read 24,886,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Interesting. With the newly renovated highschool, and this development across the street, traffic in the area is really going to stink without some major changes to the roadways. I think I pointed this out earlier, but you've got three primary entrances to Glenwood Ave in that area. All of them already suck. Hope they've got solutions planned for some or all of these.
Hm, looks like they are heading for the same issues that are involved at Lindbergh, i.e., another big box in a parking lot.

The website says: "At grade surface level parking provides easy access for the retail customers."

So how many acres of surface parking does that translate to?

Like Lindbergh, this is also in an area set aside for TOD (in this case, the Betline). Will the city approve an auto oriented project there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or