U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times

Advertisements

You won't be able to pay someone to take your house off your hands in Glenwood Park is Fuqua builds any of what he has proposed so far. Look at the gridlock on Moreland, a four lane road with turn lanes, now that Edgewood Retail is there, and imagine how bad traffic is going to be on al the two lane roads (that can't be widened) near this project.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Default Oops, wrong thread.

Oops, wrong thread.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM

2,677 posts, read 5,076,404 times
Well Glenwood does have its on exit off I-20 and is mere blocks from Moreland which as you point out is a four lane road. I hope we continue the theme started at Glenwood but if you want development there will be cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You won't be able to pay someone to take your house off your hands in Glenwood Park is Fuqua builds any of what he has proposed so far. Look at the gridlock on Moreland, a four lane road with turn lanes, now that Edgewood Retail is there, and imagine how bad traffic is going to be on al the two lane roads (that can't be widened) near this project.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:50 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,003,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Well Glenwood does have its on exit off I-20 and is mere blocks from Moreland which as you point out is a four lane road. I hope we continue the theme started at Glenwood but if you want development there will be cars.
Are you talking about the Bill Kennedy Exit between Memorial and Glenwood? The one with no Westbound exit, and no Eastbound entrance ramps?

In addition to being only half an exit, how many people would be taking the highway to shop at this Wal-Mart, with two others, and a Target inside a couple miles away?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,483,607 times
Quote:
That actually proves my point. Once you get off the main roads, you have to travel narrow two lane residential streets to get to the Wal Mart. That's obviously going to cause problems and destroy the quality of life in the area. Do you know how many 18 wheelers and other large trucks deliver goods to Wal mart every day?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
Quote:
I hope we continue the theme started at Glenwood but if you want development there will be cars.
Yes. But some bring more cars than others. Even an open grass field will bring some amount of cars. But a high-volume car-centric development like a strip-mall WalMart will bring a lot more cars (and trucks) than something like a mixed use, walk-able development.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,826,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why am I not surprised? And people here on these boards wonder why other cities laugh at us and mock us. D.C. does things right. Atlanta 3/4 times does things wrong.
What are you talking about? The city has not approved this. Blame the developers sure, but the city doesn't deserve any blame since it has done the right thing by rejecting the suburban proposals thus far.

And DC has approved more suburban-oriented Wal-Marts in the city in addition to the more urban ones as well. Check out the last 2-3 proposals here: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...ban-some-wont/

Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Isn't there some kind of limit on how many times you can reapply for a project? Or at least some waiting period?

Seems like I heard that after denial you have to wait two years before re-applying.

It doesn't make sense to allow a developer to simply keep pounding away time after time with essentially the same plan.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,655,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Isn't there some kind of limit on how many times you can reapply for a project? Or at least some waiting period?

Seems like I heard that after denial you have to wait two years before re-applying.

It doesn't make sense to allow a developer to simply keep pounding away time after time with essentially the same plan.
He really should be fined at this point. It's a very disrespectful waste of our time. We said no twice already and I think at this point he deserves to be barred from working here or something. Three strikes.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM

9,591 posts, read 10,932,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What are you talking about? The city has not approved this. Blame the developers sure, but the city doesn't deserve any blame since it has done the right thing by rejecting the suburban proposals thus far.

And DC has approved more suburban-oriented Wal-Marts in the city in addition to the more urban ones as well. Check out the last 2-3 proposals here: Walmart's 6 DC stores: Some will be urban, some won't - Greater Greater Washington
Those plans have been reworked. Now four will have apartments built with them. One will be an urban multi-floor mixed retail development similar to DC USA in Columbia Heights. That one will be on New York Ave and the last one will be an urban format that comes right up to the street with garage parking. That one is on Georgia Ave. None will be suburban now and most will include housing. It's good because those formats don't belong in urban areas.

Wal-Mart plans getting reworked by developers - Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or