Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM

187 posts, read 403,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Oh dear God no...

This is a terrible idea and I'm not one of those anti-Wal Mart loons. Glenwood is nowhere near big enough to accommodate that sort of traffic and I doubt the yupsters living in GP(Glenwood Park and Grant Park) would have it. I sure as hell wouldn't as it totally does not fit in with the overall design of the place. Besides, there already is one Wal Mart not 3 or 4 miles away on Gresham Road and it's a breeze to get to via Flat Shoals. Not to mention the other WM just a couple miles farther away down Memorial. That's just not the sort of development intown needs. It needs smaller scale, walkable areas(just like I thought Glenwood Park was going for but...) that can be interconnected(possibly by the Magical Trolley Beltline). Please don't totally destroy my old hood.
Why do you STILL post in a city forum you no longer even LIVE in?

Here is your SUPERCENTER to-buy list: (1) a LIFE and (2) a way to get OVER your obsession of a city that ate you up and spat you out. Glenwood Park is TEN times better than anything ARLINGTON (a SUBURB of the DISTRICT) could ever offer, and NOTHING you can say will change that.

ATLANTA'S intown neighborhoods are imperturbable enough to pull off a Wal-mart. Yeah, I said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,547 times
Glenwood Park continues to struggle to fill in the ground-level retail spaces. A new wine store just opened, but the frame shop just closed. A mega-mart sure won't help lure in prospective small businesses around the corner.

I live less than 2 blocks from the site. I'm just a renter, and will likely be gone by the time any ground is broken, so I'm not speaking on behalf of my own property values here. I agree that the infrastructure is really not there to support it. You can't turn left onto Glenwood from Boulevard, so the only access from North of I-20 is via Moreland and Bill Kennedy. The light at Glenwood and Moreland is already a disaster because of the "dog-log" in the road and lack of turn lanes. The belt-line is slated to run over Bill Kennedy, so making into a high-traffic throughfare is ill-advised. The dead-end into Memorial is another cluster-F waiting to happen. There isn't much room to widen roads or add turn lanes. Just seems like it'd be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Something small-scale is probably doable and would be welcomed, particularly if they actually had decent produce (looking at you, Edgewood Kroger).

Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Quote:
Target on Peachtree and Roxboro and I'm in and out with out ever waiting in a line!
It's a great little Target!

The big secret that nobody seems to know is even if the store was crowded, which it never really is....there are check outs upstairs that hardly anybody knows about. You can always sail by up there!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 66,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Glenwood Park continues to struggle to fill in the ground-level retail spaces. A new wine store just opened, but the frame shop just closed. A mega-mart sure won't help lure in prospective small businesses around the corner.

I live less than 2 blocks from the site. I'm just a renter, and will likely be gone by the time any ground is broken, so I'm not speaking on behalf of my own property values here. I agree that the infrastructure is really not there to support it. You can't turn left onto Glenwood from Boulevard, so the only access from North of I-20 is via Moreland and Bill Kennedy. The light at Glenwood and Moreland is already a disaster because of the "dog-log" in the road and lack of turn lanes. The belt-line is slated to run over Bill Kennedy, so making into a high-traffic throughfare is ill-advised. The dead-end into Memorial is another cluster-F waiting to happen. There isn't much room to widen roads or add turn lanes. Just seems like it'd be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Something small-scale is probably doable and would be welcomed, particularly if they actually had decent produce (looking at you, Edgewood Kroger).
Thank you for elaborating on this! These are the exact reasons why I think it's a BAD IDEA!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Why do you STILL post in a city forum you no longer even LIVE in?

Here is your SUPERCENTER to-buy list: (1) a LIFE and (2) a way to get OVER your obsession of a city that ate you up and spat you out. Glenwood Park is TEN times better than anything ARLINGTON (a SUBURB of the DISTRICT) could ever offer, and NOTHING you can say will change that.

ATLANTA'S intown neighborhoods are imperturbable enough to pull off a Wal-mart. Yeah, I said it.
You are a real piece of work "hipster." I actually like that part of town(if you had any grasp of reading comprehension, you'd be able to figure that out) but honestly, Glenwood Park isn't anything more than a suburban subdivision in the middle of a rundown industrial area. Honestly, I am glad I got out of Atlanta before I got caught in the crossfire of one of those ignorant-ass rapper feuds that seems to occur on a monthly basis down there.

Have you ever been to Arlington? Doesn't seem like it. It's a helluva nice place and you're right, it is a suburb of the District and I am perfectly fine with that. So, I won't really be heartbroken if a Wal Mart is slapped down in such an idiotic location. It really wouldn't surprise me knowing Atlanta.

By the way, you're a f*#king weirdo.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post

If anybody had any sense they'd open up a Trader Joe's in one of the vacant spaces yesterday.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:22 AM

I work within spitting distance of the Trader Joe's in midtown, but I'd take another one within walking distance of home.

Same roadway issues exist though . . . simply being a chain that people don't hate does not cure the problems with choking up the roads.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:33 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,463 times
Quote:
You are a real piece of work "hipster." I actually like that part of town(if you had any grasp of reading comprehension, you'd be able to figure that out) but honestly, Glenwood Park isn't anything more than a suburban subdivision in the middle of a rundown industrial area. Honestly, I am glad I got out of Atlanta before I got caught in the crossfire of one of those ignorant-ass rapper feuds that seems to occur on a monthly basis down there.

Have you ever been to Arlington? Doesn't seem like it. It's a helluva nice place and you're right, it is a suburb of the District and I am perfectly fine with that. So, I won't really be heartbroken if a Wal Mart is slapped down in such an idiotic location. It really wouldn't surprise me knowing Atlanta.

By the way, you're a f*#king weirdo.
I am still alive and I live in the city limits!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Oh dear God no...

This is a terrible idea and I'm not one of those anti-Wal Mart loons. Glenwood is nowhere near big enough to accommodate that sort of traffic and I doubt the yupsters living in GP(Glenwood Park and Grant Park) would have it. I sure as hell wouldn't as it totally does not fit in with the overall design of the place. Besides, there already is one Wal Mart not 3 or 4 miles away on Gresham Road and it's a breeze to get to via Flat Shoals. Not to mention the other WM just a couple miles farther away down Memorial. That's just not the sort of development intown needs. It needs smaller scale, walkable areas(just like I thought Glenwood Park was going for but...) that can be interconnected(possibly by the Magical Trolley Beltline). Please don't totally destroy my old hood.
This is what Wal Mart does. They build too many stores. Then they close the older stores, leaving empty, crime infested shells that are too large to lease out to other businesses.

We'll see this happen soon after they build the store at Suburban Plaza. They'll wind up closing the Avondale store.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is what Wal Mart does. They build too many stores. Then they close the older stores, leaving empty, crime infested shells that are too large to lease out to other businesses.

We'll see this happen soon after they build the store at Suburban Plaza. They'll wind up closing the Avondale store.
The Avondale store is what, 6 years old, maybe? Doubt they will be scuttuling that one in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta