U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,308,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's an exaggeration. but if you don't believe me take a survey at your local suburban school or workplace to see how many folks frequent panama city or destin in particular. they're not the only people that go there but for gosh sakes when i take a vacation i'd like to not take it with the entire county.
Rep Points for you!

Agree I got people mad when I made comments about who goes to the FL Panhandle. But it is the truth it tends to be far suburbs/exurbs very competitive and snobby people. It is a trash with money area. It was about 300 miles from my house in Atlanta to Rosemary Beach. It was an at least six hour drive with minimum traffic.

Last edited by GeorgiaLakeSearch; 06-13-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
redneck rivera is more like it. that's where everyone from rural and suburban north georgia goes to vacation, and i mean everyone... it's like travelling 500 miles to get away from it all with all the people you thought you left at home.

pensacola and santa rosa island of course is an exception— they seem to get a lot less traffic and if you like the panhandle it's a place to go, there are other spots along there as well. but destin and panama city? hell, i'll go to lake lanier if i want to see white trash beaches.
Thanks for writing this so I did not have to and get called snobby.

The better GA lakes are Oconee, Burton, and Rabun(my favorite).

Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
1. Florida Panhandle? : Panama City, Santa Rosa, Pensacola Beach etc.
2. Savannah, GA
3. Golden Isles - Brunswick, GA - the southeastern tip of Georgia.
4. Jacksonville, FL
5. Other - Where??

Which area has the most natural beauty? I left out Southeast and southwest Florida as it is too far to drive to.

- GregLakeSearch... you there?
If you want more of an "small urban/sophisticated" experience definitely Savannah. I would stay away from the FL Panhandle(and I have owned property their before people get mad at me for saying that. Now my son owns the property because he inherited from my ex-wife).

Jacksonville for me is just another city. Nothing that would make me buy something there.

Golden Isles-Brunswick would be my first choice. I would specifically go with St. Simons or Sea Island. It is much easier to go vs. FL Panhandle. You can take more "side" roads. St. Simons and Sea Islands are expensive but they do hold value better then other beach areas. The big locations people come from for Sea Island are: Atlanta, Macon, NYC, Fairfield County CT, some midwesterners(the ones I have met come to escape the winters), and a couple from other cities in the south. For example one family I know on Sea Island comes from Manhattan because they looked in the Hamptons but went with Sea Island because of the amenities and the warm weather in the winter. The Cloister at Sea Island is a much more formal beach resort then say what you will find at most beaches in FL or SC. It has kept a lot of its "southern elegance."

If buying on Sea Island I would also look at the Beach Club Residences & Suites(the residences are true condos, the suites are basically hotel rooms). They are nice because there is no maintenance. They do have fractional ownership condos called "The Cloister Ocean Residences."

Sea Island offers full rental/property management. My parents do not rent out the house but know people who do and they say the services they provide are great.

Most of the renovated houses on Sea Island sell. The other listings that need a lot of work and are overpriced sit until somebody comes along who wants a place to renovate.

Like I said before SC has many gorgeous areas but with a higher risk of Hurricanes and higher property taxes(for secondary homes). If I were looking for costal property in SC I would choose Kiawah Island(I like how it is also fairly convenient to Charleston) first and Hilton Head second.

I am in the process of purchasing on Lake Rabun but, if my mother did not have a home on Sea Island I would have went there. (My mom and dad also encouraged me to get a place on Rabun vs. Sea Island because they wanted a place they could use. And it also has more things for my children to do vs. the mountains of NC which I also looked at.)

And anything else you are wondering about just ask.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM

3,962 posts, read 4,555,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post

Golden Isles-Brunswick would be my first choice. I would specifically go with St. Simons or Sea Island. It is much easier to go vs. FL Panhandle. You can take more "side" roads. St. Simons and Sea Islands are expensive but they do hold value better then other beach areas.
if you travel to the golden isles from atlanta, i would definitely recommend you take the golden isles highway. it is another destination in itself and is an absolutely beautiful ride, and you become engrossed in the culture of south georgia, however it is a long ride from atlanta. if you're one of the people who thinks the journey is just about as important as the destination i'd give it a try— you'll never take 16 again.

Peaches to the Beaches - Home

as for sea island, i'm sure the beach is nice but the entire island is just houses and it's all private, very elite and hoity-toity. for a more organic experience visit saint simons and little saint simons.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM

953 posts, read 2,776,360 times
GeorgiaLakeSearch,
The weather is warmer in the Golden Isles than the Panhandle. I really am a beach person at heart, how is the beach in the Gold Isles? Is this area also vulnerable to hurricanes?

Tell me a little bit more about the Golden Isles. Is the area developed or a developing area. How does the natural beauty of the area compare to the FL Panhandle? The driving distance is the same between the Panama City and Brunswick, but the weather is a litte warmer in the Sea Islands.

I am looking at some Google images of Sea Island and it looks beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
If you want more of an "small urban/sophisticated" experience definitely Savannah. I would stay away from the FL Panhandle(and I have owned property their before people get mad at me for saying that. Now my son owns the property because he inherited from my ex-wife).

Jacksonville for me is just another city. Nothing that would make me buy something there.

Golden Isles-Brunswick would be my first choice. I would specifically go with St. Simons or Sea Island. It is much easier to go vs. FL Panhandle. You can take more "side" roads. St. Simons and Sea Islands are expensive but they do hold value better then other beach areas. The big locations people come from for Sea Island are: Atlanta, Macon, NYC, Fairfield County CT, some midwesterners(the ones I have met come to escape the winters), and a couple from other cities in the south. For example one family I know on Sea Island comes from Manhattan because they looked in the Hamptons but went with Sea Island because of the amenities and the warm weather in the winter. The Cloister at Sea Island is a much more formal beach resort then say what you will find at most beaches in FL or SC. It has kept a lot of its "southern elegance."

If buying on Sea Island I would also look at the Beach Club Residences & Suites(the residences are true condos, the suites are basically hotel rooms). They are nice because there is no maintenance. They do have fractional ownership condos called "The Cloister Ocean Residences."

Sea Island offers full rental/property management. My parents do not rent out the house but know people who do and they say the services they provide are great.

Most of the renovated houses on Sea Island sell. The other listings that need a lot of work and are overpriced sit until somebody comes along who wants a place to renovate.

Like I said before SC has many gorgeous areas but with a higher risk of Hurricanes and higher property taxes(for secondary homes). If I were looking for costal property in SC I would choose Kiawah Island(I like how it is also fairly convenient to Charleston) first and Hilton Head second.

I am in the process of purchasing on Lake Rabun but, if my mother did not have a home on Sea Island I would have went there. (My mom and dad also encouraged me to get a place on Rabun vs. Sea Island because they wanted a place they could use. And it also has more things for my children to do vs. the mountains of NC which I also looked at.)

And anything else you are wondering about just ask.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM

808 posts, read 2,828,406 times
For winter home, I would go further south. Every winter, we go to Siesta Key beach, on the west side of FL. It's about 550 miles from our house (just under 8 hours driving at 75 mph). White sands, wide beach, free parking with on-site facilities (bathrooms, small to go restaurant, etc).

Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

7,688 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Quote:
Is this area also vulnerable to hurricanes?
If you're on the coast, you're vulnerable to hurricanes.

Don't let anybody tell you different. I know people on the First Coast (Jacksonville/St. Augustine) like to think they are somehow immune from hurricanes. It's true, they don't typically target that area. I don't know why, wind patterns, water temperatures, whatever....

But that doesn't mean that the area is not vulnerable to hurricanes. One COULD hit any season.

There may be other things you can look into, such as how bad would the storm surge be, is insurance easier to manage in Georgia than Florida, and so on. However, if your heart and soul is the beach, then you just have to accept that hurricanes are a possibility.

I will say that if you look in Florida, I would only look at properties that were constructed after Hurricane Andrew building codes went into effect. Most buildings constructed after Andrew are built like fortresses. That helps a lot for wind damage, but if you're low enough to be affected by flood waters, that's what can really nail you and no building code can protect you from that.

I actually kind of like the suggestion of Orlando. It's 7 hours away, but a straight shot and interstate the entire way. People there take day trips to the beach all the time, its relatively easy to do. Orlando does get hurricanes, but they are usually pretty weak by the time they get there and a tree falling on your house is probably the biggest concern. The nicest thing is no matter how many times you go, you'll never run out of things to do. Most small beach towns start to get pretty old by the time you've been 10 or 11 times and have done everything they have to offer and eaten at every restaurant they have. Of course, there's no denying, it's not the beach. I pretty much feel like I'm in a "beachy" area in Orlando, though, because of all the palm trees and lakes everywhere. It even has seagulls.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 AM

550 posts, read 757,688 times
Highlands/Cashiers. Or if you want the beach, Kiawah, Sea Island, Fernandina.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:08 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,874,321 times
I'm trying to figure out why anyone inAtlanta would need a winter home. If it were me, I'd be looking for a SUMMER home, preferably in the mountains somewhere. Winter is fine here, it's summer that's an absolute misery.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,958,769 times
Since I am not a beach person, I would take a home up in the Georgia or North Carolina mountains, but that would defeat the purpose of having a winter home in a way since it is colder in those areas than here in Atlanta.

If I were to choose a beach area, probably would go with some nice place along the Georgia coast, since most of it is somewhat the closer to drive to than these other places mentioned in Florida. I like the areas around St. Simons, Jekyll and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or