U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,566,343 times

Advertisements

My parents have been trying to unload their home in Sandestin for 5 years. It is adorable and a great location, but a second home is a huge money drain. You can look forward to frantic phone calls from the rental agency regarding the need to immediately fix broken air conditioners, leaking refrigerators, and, oh yes let's not forget the time they had an electrical fire. Dealing with the rental company is a huge hassle and you have to remove all personal touches from the home. If you can afford it, go for it, but just be aware that buyer's regret often rears its ugly head.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,814,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
My parents have been trying to unload their home in Sandestin for 5 years. It is adorable and a great location, but a second home is a huge money drain. You can look forward to frantic phone calls from the rental agency regarding the need to immediately fix broken air conditioners, leaking refrigerators, and, oh yes let's not forget the time they had an electrical fire. Dealing with the rental company is a huge hassle and you have to remove all personal touches from the home. If you can afford it, go for it, but just be aware that buyer's regret often rears its ugly head.
My in laws own a great condo in Destin, that has been on the market a year now. It was offered to the children but none of us want it. Destin isn't really pop down for a weekend close and the potential rental income probably wouldn't cover the expenses. My in-laws don't rent theirs out, but after the last big hurricane, their building was not open to renters at all, because of construction, no pool etc. Owners could use, of course, but they couldn't rent it out. Big lose of income resulted in a foreclosure or two.

We have good friends who own a home on Orange Beach and lost an entire season one year because of a hurricane the previous fall. When a hurricane does massive or even moderate damage, it takes a while to get things fixed. The construction workers, even with an influx of extra workers into an area, can only get so much done.

Mr Panda, once your kids get a little bigger, you are going to find, that because of their obligations you need to be home on the weekends. My friends who do have places, hardly use them.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,566,343 times
Yep, if I could afford a second home (which, with two private school tuitions, I definitely can't), I'd want a place at Lake Oconee or somewhere within a 3 hour drive. Destin is right over the tipping point for me in terms of driving down for a weekend. You have to leave on Thursday to make a weekend trip worthwhile. And, yes, with school aged kids now who have activities nearly every weekend, we would rarely go. The only way I would consider something like that would be to buy with another family and do our own time-share situation. Of course, you'd have to be REALLY good friends!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM

68 posts, read 105,279 times
Since when are people from suburban GA rednecks? Most the people that live on the northside are transplants anyway.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM

9,579 posts, read 8,655,207 times
I find the north Georgia mountains easily accessible and far far more convenient than the beach. And, frankly, in the winter months - unless you are a beachcomber - it has a romanticism to it that beaches don't provide. Warm fireplaces, cooking great meals at home, charming downtowns, ice skating, sledding when it does snow. And, best of all, it's far more affordable. My wallet appreciates that!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

11,901 posts, read 45,852,705 times
#5.

If I can afford to OWN a "winter home", I should certainly be able to afford a plane ticket. Besides, it's not like I'm there just for the weekend.

So, anywhere in the BVI's, or St. Lucia, Barbados, or St. Vencent and the Grenadines.
And it wouldn't be a "house"- it would be "two HULLS in the water!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or