U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,301,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_RN123 View Post
there are some very dangerous hoods (Buckhead
I can tell you haven't been here that long lol. Buckhead is not a "very dangerous hood". It's one of the most upscale sections of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM

743 posts, read 652,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_RN123 View Post
Well, you probably know that $600,000 in Atlanta can buy you A LOT of house. I've never lived in CA but i have lived in FL before I moved to GA. I like it here, I actually like the weather (except for the humidity in the summer but it's better than FL) About crime and all that, it really depends on which suburb or neighborhood in Atlanta you choose. Some suburbs have very low crime rates (Woodstock, Roswell) while there are some very dangerous hoods (Buckhead, parts of Decatur) Traffic is maybe a little better than L.A. but not much.
....what?! Please tell me you meant "Bankhead".

Old 06-14-2012, 07:44 AM

95 posts, read 216,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Short story... live in Los Angeles area, profession is a Sr. Software Engineer, make good money (north of $120k) but still can't make it due to the insane cost of housing in this city. A entry level single family home with a backyard, 3-4bd, 2000sqft in a neighborhood decent enough to raise kids costs upwards of $600,000 here (no, this is not beachfront property LOL! areas very inland and what would be considered average in the rest of the country!)

So, being in my late 30s with a single income and wanting to buy my own place I am finally thinking perhaps I HAVE to move out of LA if I ever want to be able to buy something without going dangerously into debt.

Can anyone who has lived in both places give me a brief comparison between Southern California and Atlanta Pros and Cons of moving.

I have already identified a few pros: Closer to the Caribbean (I love to SCUBA and I love the ocean) , solid in terms of IT jobs, cheap housing

Cons: Crime? (not sure about this), commuting/traffic (probably same as LA though), worse weather, no ocean (but I guess it's close enough - Florida or the Caribbean)

I would miss the geography of the west coast though (the Sierra Nevadas, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, the beautiful Pacific Coast etc.) but oh well, that would be a compromise to get ahead.

Edit - can someone also comment on good neighborhoods to live with good school districts and generally on the upper scale of things. Thanks.
I was in almost the same exact position, senior software engineer living in an insanely overpriced city. Atlanta IS the Solution. But you need to get a job somewhere close to where you live, so it's an easy commute. You want to live on the north side somewhere around Alpharetta, Roswell, John's Creek or Suwanee. Beautiful wooded area's with no aircraft noise (airport is 50 miles away, and east-west). But get a job First then plan on where to live. I paid cash for my house and it's huge. I love this place, really enjoying the lower cost of living, mostly good weather, and really nice scenery. My pay is a bit lower (a bit over 90k) but I can accept it. I am debt free.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 AM

19 posts, read 26,253 times
OP should abandon IT.

Best of Luck.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:08 AM

738 posts, read 1,117,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
OP should abandon IT.

Best of Luck.
Did you just get fired from your IT job? You've posted exactly the same thing on two threads.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 11,680 times
Default Don't Move Here

The City of Atlanta is a cesspool of crime and thugs. The police are nothing more than traffic cops and have abdicated all responsibility to fight crime at any level. Stay away from here at all costs. There are much better cities in the US which have a better run city and state government.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 PM

86 posts, read 134,122 times
I thought Buckhead was a nice area to live?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 31,222 times
Whoa, WHY did I say Buckhead, I certainly meant Bankhead, my apologies everyone!!! Buckhead is the nicest place in Atlanta to live; maybe a little snobbish and expensive, and the traffic can get heavy, but the crime is NOT a big factor, haha.

But I should also add that you won't be making 120K here, maybe more like 60K or thereabouts, but that can still buy you a good 200K house, which is very nice in Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM

9,553 posts, read 8,612,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yes, definitely stay away from buckhead. It is truly frightening.
Oh dear God yes! Those millionaires really are scary fellows!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM

468 posts, read 778,274 times
North Fulton will have most of the IT jobs. As far as pay, I think that perm positions may pay a bit low here but contract jobs (which are very common in it) do pay in the 6 digits. A software engineer should not have a problem making 100k around here. If you are looking for housing for a family and you are an IT job, I would look in N. Fulton, E. Cobb, or S. Forsythe. Maybe even SW Cherokee. I am in IT and have been making north of 100k for a while. Once you are established at a high rate, you will find it's easy to stay at the high rate. The trick is building up to the Sr. Level rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or