U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,058,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Try getting some new material, Tony.
Just speaking the truth. We never had 70+ shootings in one weekend like some cities do.

The End
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,766,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
Just speaking the truth. We never had 70+ shootings in one weekend like some cities do.

The End
Atlanta STILL has more crime than all other major cities with much larger populations, including my hometown which you like to hate on so much. The end.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Atlanta STILL has more crime than all other major cities with much larger populations, including my hometown which you like to hate on so much. The end.
Chicago had over 500+ murders last year in 230+ square miles. Atlanta had 90 murders in 130 square miles.

Chicago had over 70 shootings and 10+ murders in one weekend this past summer. It would take Atlanta months to have that many shootings.

More than 70 shot, at least 12 killed in Fourth of July weekend Chicago shootings; WVON radio calls for peace | abc7chicago.com

Chicago is over $200 BILLION in debt, they have the highest parking rate in the country, extremely high taxes, they have the most gang members in America, toll roads everywhere, you have to pay to park on the street as a resident, it is the most segregated city in America,etc. Just speaking the truth.

BTW, I dont hate Chicago. I have no reason to hate Chicago because that would not benefit my life. I think it is a cool city if they get rid of the ghetto thugs and the corruption. I'm actually planning to visit Chicago next summer. I love the Chicago skyline, the restaurants, public transportation, the river downtown, the downtown beach, the festivals, etc. I wouldnt mind living there temporarily if it wasnt for the cold winters and taxes

Last edited by gerrythesnake; 12-23-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 09:35 AM

4,704 posts, read 3,232,252 times
Quote:
Chicago had over 500+ murders last year in 230+ square miles. Atlanta had 90 murders in 130 square miles.

Chicago had over 70 shootings and 10+ murders in one weekend this past summer. It would take Atlanta months to have that many shootings.

More than 70 shot, at least 12 killed in Fourth of July weekend Chicago shootings; WVON radio calls for peace | abc7chicago.com

Chicago is over $200 BILLION in debt, they have the highest parking rate in the country, extremely high taxes, they have the most gang members in America, toll roads everywhere, you have to pay to park on the street as a resident, it is the most segregated city in America,etc. Just speaking the truth.

BTW, I dont hate Chicago. I have no reason to hate Chicago because that would not benefit my life. I think it is a cool city if they get rid of the ghetto thugs and the corruption. I'm actually planning to visit Chicago next summer. I love the Chicago skyline, the restaurants, public transportation, the river downtown, the downtown beach, the festivals, etc. I wouldnt mind living there temporarily if it wasnt for the cold winters and taxes
Per capita, Chicago has less crime than Atlanta. You're comparing a city with almost 3,000,000 people to a city with 500,000.

And crime this year in Chicago is the lowest in 40 years. Chicago is the safest it has been since the late 60s early 70s

Enjoy your trip to one of the greatest cities on Earth.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:40 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,766,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Per capita, Chicago has less crime than Atlanta. You're comparing a city with almost 3,000,000 people to a city with 500,000.

And crime this year in Chicago is the lowest in 40 years. Chicago is the safest it has been since the late 60s early 70s

Quote:
All of this, yet Chicago is still an Alpha+ world city, and Atlanta still has more crime. I don't deny Chicago's problems unlike some people who pretend that Atlanta is Utopia. When I first moved to Atlanta, I just naturally assumed that Chicago had more crime because it was bigger. Boy was I wrong!

In Chicago you really can avoid the crime by avoiding certain areas. In Atlanta, not so much.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,108,829 times
Quote:

He gotcha on that one Tony!

Comparing Atl to the Chi is not apples to apples. However some of the stories coming out of Chicagoland are downright disturbing, and there is definitely a problem there.

With regards to crime per capita, Chicago has 500+ murders, and NYC has been below 500 murders for the last 8-10 years now. Chicago approx 3M people, NYC approx 9M people. So yes, there is a problem there.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I dont compare crime per capita, I compare square miles vs homicides.

BTW, Chicago isn't the greatest city on earth. That title goes to either Paris, London, Tokyo or NYC. Within the USA I would rank Chicago #2 behind NYC in a "real city" ranking. As I said before Chicago is a good city. I wouldn't live there long term but I love the skyline and my fav childhood movie "Adventures in Babysitting" was filmed in Chicago

Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
He gotcha on that one Tony!

Comparing Atl to the Chi is not apples to apples. However some of the stories coming out of Chicagoland are downright disturbing, and there is definitely a problem there.

With regards to crime per capita, Chicago has 500+ murders, and NYC has been below 500 murders for the last 8-10 years now. Chicago approx 3M people, NYC approx 9M people. So yes, there is a problem there.
No. People use that per capital statistics to make themselves feel better. If I live in the bad area in Chicago I'm not going to say "Well 70 people were shot this weekend on my side of town but per capita I feel safe" lol. No matter how dense an area is most crime happens outside. You can't really justify the lower crime rate stat because those same crimes still happen in the street. It doesn't matter if 30k people live on a block in Chicago or if 5k people in Atlanta live on a similar block. If that street with the 30k people on it have lets say " 50 shootings" and the 5k block has 2 shootings you cant say the 30k block is safer because it has 50k people. That block still had more shootings

Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,108,829 times
Quote:
I dont compare crime per capita, I compare square miles vs homicides.
That's interesting, because people commit homocides not square miles.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
That's interesting, because people commit homocides not square miles.
I mean that I compare the murders within the square miles of a city verses the murders per capita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or