Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:34 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
Plus what is the incentive for Buckhead to be part of the Brookhaven sys? To pay more tax with a worse school district? How logical.
Even if this were to happen, the parts of Buckhead affected would still be in Fulton County, not DeKalb County, so they wouldn't go into the DeKalb school system. They would no longer be in the Atlanta city system either, so don't know what they would do. Most likely they would default to Fulton County Schools. For this reason alone, this will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The new incorporated residents will still be paying more in taxes. And that will only get worse as the new city will assume the burden of more and more services like code enforcement, PD, parks and rec, wastewater and storm drain management and so on.
Actually, at most the citizens of Brookhaven would be paying the same they are currently paying. However, it is projected that the citizens will be paying much less. There will also be a millage rate cap to prevent the property taxes rising.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

426 posts, read 1,446,188 times
I will be voting in favor of the new city. I was living in the slice of DeKalb County that is in the City of Atlanta when Dunwoody incorporated. And my bleeding heart liberal self viewed it as an elitist, racist, self-serving maneuver. Well then I moved to unincorporated DeKalb County... I continue to be flabbergasted by the utter lack of services provided by the county. My old neighborhood in City of Atlanta had great parks, decent trash pickup, responsive police, and a city council person who always attended our neighborhood organization meetings. The only thing that didn't get WORSE moving to unincorporated DeKalb was trash pickup. And who really needs twice a week trash pickup?

I think in civil society we should pay taxes for services that benefit the public good. And I don't think that public good necessarily means a direct benefit to me. I am voting for the new city NOT because I want lower taxes, less government, or any of that neocon crap. My vote is my way of rejecting a government that seems to reject just about everyone they represent. While at the same time building a multimillion dollar soapbox derby track (and Burrell Ellis is actually a huge improvement over Vernon Jones!).

Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I will be voting in favor of the new city. I was living in the slice of DeKalb County that is in the City of Atlanta when Dunwoody incorporated. And my bleeding heart liberal self viewed it as an elitist, racist, self-serving maneuver. Well then I moved to unincorporated DeKalb County... I continue to be flabbergasted by the utter lack of services provided by the county. My old neighborhood in City of Atlanta had great parks, decent trash pickup, responsive police, and a city council person who always attended our neighborhood organization meetings. The only thing that didn't get WORSE moving to unincorporated DeKalb was trash pickup. And who really needs twice a week trash pickup?

I think in civil society we should pay taxes for services that benefit the public good. And I don't think that public good necessarily means a direct benefit to me. I am voting for the new city NOT because I want lower taxes, less government, or any of that neocon crap. My vote is my way of rejecting a government that seems to reject just about everyone they represent. While at the same time building a multimillion dollar soapbox derby track (and Burrell Ellis is actually a huge improvement over Vernon Jones!).
these are all the reasons brookhaven should be annexed into the city of atlanta and not another independent community.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 AM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
these are all the reasons brookhaven should be annexed into the city of atlanta and not another independent community.

Yes. This.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
But that isn't going to happen. Period. So what option does that leave?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
But that isn't going to happen. Period. So what option does that leave?
i haven't heard it being ruled out except by the people who are really gung-ho for an indepedent city. i'm sure it's a possibility, even if brookhaven does incorporate they may later vote to be annexed into the city. atlanta would love it because it would mean a high income area gets added to the tax base, versus their reluctance to annex sandtown which is a relatively low income area.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
What's driving the city of Brookhaven movement is the fact that folks up there have been getting poked in the eye by DeKalb County for several decades despite their hefty tax contributions. They simply don't get a fair shake on spending for parks, police and similar quality of life issues. In the meantime the county's payroll ballooned to massive levels (nearly twice those in Gwinnett or Cobb) and taxes kept going up. Their representative on the county commission lives 20 miles away.

DeKalb could have headed this off long ago if they'd been a little more attentive to the north side of the county. However, if you take advantage of people long enough they will eventually become dissatisfied. It's similar to what happened in Fulton County.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:44 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's driving the city of Brookhaven movement is the fact that folks up there have been getting poked in the eye by DeKalb County for several decades despite their hefty tax contributions. They simply don't get a fair shake on spending for parks, police and similar quality of life issues. In the meantime the county's payroll ballooned to massive levels (nearly twice those in Gwinnett or Cobb) and taxes kept going up. Their representative on the county commission lives 20 miles away.

DeKalb could have headed this off long ago if they'd been a little more attentive to the north side of the county. However, if you take advantage of people long enough they will eventually become dissatisfied. It's similar to what happened in Fulton County.
It's amazing how in 25 years, a county can go from one of the best run, best managed counties in GA, to a county that's so incompetently run, both on the governmental and school level.

IMHO, before, it's all said and done, most all of DeKalb north of 78 will end up being incorporated. I think people in Druid Hills, Tucker, and the 30087 zip, which includes Smokerise and a few, mostly upscale subdivisions along the DeKalb/Gwinnett line are sitting back awaiting the outcome of the Brookhaven annexation efforts. If Brookhaven is successful, then, the incorporation snowball will pick up steam.

In the last 8-10 years or so, it's as if the only interests being represented in DeKalb are the South DeKalb interests.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
My opnion is that counties shouldn't be in the city business anyway. Atlanta and its suburbs should be incorporated across the board, none of this county run stuff. When the county grows to a certain point, it becomes too unwieldy. First Fulton, now DeKalb. Gwinnett won't be far behind. So far Cobb is doing ok, but looking at the example of DeKalb, can't hold onto this forever.

Counties should do basic county stuff, not try and compete with municipalities. Municipal services should be provided by cities. Let all of metro Atlanta incorporate I say... if it is developed and needs municipal services (water, police, libraries, trash, etc, etc). An area should remain unincorporated when it is rural, when it needs services, let it become a new city or annexed into an existing city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta