Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:34 PM

16,647 posts, read 29,360,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My opnion is that counties shouldn't be in the city business anyway. Atlanta and its suburbs should be incorporated across the board, none of this county run stuff. When the county grows to a certain point, it becomes too unwieldy. First Fulton, now DeKalb. Gwinnett won't be far behind. So far Cobb is doing ok, but looking at the example of DeKalb, can't hold onto this forever.

Counties should do basic county stuff, not try and compete with municipalities. Municipal services should be provided by cities. Let all of metro Atlanta incorporate I say... if it is developed and needs municipal services (water, police, libraries, trash, etc, etc). An area should remain unincorporated when it is rural, when it needs services, let it become a new city or annexed into an existing city.

Exactly this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 09:23 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
It's amazing how in 25 years, a county can go from one of the best run, best managed counties in GA, to a county that's so incompetently run, both on the governmental and school level.

In the last 8-10 years or so, it's as if the only interests being represented in DeKalb are the South DeKalb interests.
No doubt about it.

Even sadder, it doesn't seem to have helped south DeKalb all that much either.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,006,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My opnion is that counties shouldn't be in the city business anyway. Atlanta and its suburbs should be incorporated across the board, none of this county run stuff. When the county grows to a certain point, it becomes too unwieldy. First Fulton, now DeKalb. Gwinnett won't be far behind. So far Cobb is doing ok, but looking at the example of DeKalb, can't hold onto this forever.

Counties should do basic county stuff, not try and compete with municipalities. Municipal services should be provided by cities. Let all of metro Atlanta incorporate I say... if it is developed and needs municipal services (water, police, libraries, trash, etc, etc). An area should remain unincorporated when it is rural, when it needs services, let it become a new city or annexed into an existing city.
I strongly agree, but of course there are people against this idea, especially (it seems) folks from some areas near the east coast that seem to do the same thing we did in the midwest, but badly.

Not all implementations of a completely incorporated metro are bad ones. Some seem to work far better in practice than what I see in the Atlanta metro, at least in my opinion, but of course my views are subjective.

Smaller, independent units (cities) are often better off than larger ones (counties). Conservatives seem so concerned about that when talking about states rights versus the federal government, so I don't really understand when I see arguments against doing exactly the same thing at the city/county level.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:36 PM

562 posts, read 1,120,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No doubt about it.

Even sadder, it doesn't seem to have helped south DeKalb all that much either.
South DeKalb is still just as void of amenities and retail as ever. Other than a few new sidewalks and a couple of road projects, they haven't benefited from the ever increasing DeKalb taxes.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Vote on new city of Brookhaven may be pivotal *| ajc.com

Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
I would think looking at Sandy Springs would be a good example. They have privatized and had good leadership. Does Brookhaven? I would also say a big savings would be in school taxes. I have not been able to find enough pros and cons to do a cost analysis and find a budget on how the Brookhaven gov't is going to be funded. However I do know the majority of my property tax is school tax. If that can be diverted to fund a new gov't, it might be worth it. IF it is managed properly and things are annexed and privitized as they SEEM to have been in Sandy Springs.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwlkr View Post
I would think looking at Sandy Springs would be a good example. They have privatized and had good leadership. Does Brookhaven? I would also say a big savings would be in school taxes. I have not been able to find enough pros and cons to do a cost analysis and find a budget on how the Brookhaven gov't is going to be funded. However I do know the majority of my property tax is school tax. If that can be diverted to fund a new gov't, it might be worth it. IF it is managed properly and things are annexed and privitized as they SEEM to have been in Sandy Springs.
You are wrong about the school taxes. The schools remain part of DeKalb County and therefore, you see no savings in school taxes, which currently make up over 70 percent of DeKalb County's homeowners tax bills and will rise a bit, because of a 2 mil increase this year from the school system. The GA constitution does not allow for new school systems and thus, Dunwoody schools are still part of DeKalb, all those new cities in Fulton, including Sandy Springs, are still part of Fulton schools and Brookhaven, if incorporated, will still have its schools controlled by DeKalb.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
The GA constitution does not allow for new school systems and thus, Dunwoody schools are still part of DeKalb, all those new cities in Fulton, including Sandy Springs, are still part of Fulton schools and Brookhaven, if incorporated, will still have its schools controlled by DeKalb.
What a shame. The city of Decatur is a good example of what a small city can do with its school system if allowed to operate independently. Cities like Dunwoody and Sandy Springs are much larger but they could easily do the same thing.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,619,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What a shame. The city of Decatur is a good example of what a small city can do with its school system if allowed to operate independently. Cities like Dunwoody and Sandy Springs are much larger but they could easily do the same thing.
Absolutely, without a doubt.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:03 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,607,023 times
I'm really surprised that with all the money spent lobbying for the creation of all these new cities they didn't work to change the constitution. Without localized school control all of Dekalb is going to look like south Dekalb in twenty years. If I didn't have the new baby I'd ride it out, but no way are we hanging around now. I mean seriously, they cut teachers rather than eliminate transportation to a freaking magnet school? That's so idiotic it leaves me gasping for breath. I had desperately hoped we could go back home, but it looks like we may be leaving the region altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta