U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,968,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
This is a good point. I am in the Danbury Parc subdivision, which is part of the new proposed city. If it does not go through, I could definitely picture Chamblee trying to claim us in the future. I don't care to have a Chamblee mailing address.

As a side note, even if the city does get changed to Brookhaven, you can still use an Atlanta mailing address (since the zip code is not changing). I read that a lot of businesses in the new Sandy Springs and new Dunwoody kept their Atlanta mailing address for the prestige factor.
I live in Dunwoody, but apparently my zip code regiters as either Doraville, Atlanta or Dunwoody depending on the sender's mailing system. I always use Atlanta, but sometimes when I'm typing something on a company's website when I plug in the zip code it changes it. I din't really care, but it's weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:59 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,829,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dumb question, but what would be the advantages of annexation into the city of Atlanta? I'm not arguing against it, but most of my friends who live in the part of Brookhaven that's within the city limits are not exactly wild about it.
Because I think it would be easier to do things and healthier for the whole region if Atlanta was bigger and we didn't have so many tiny cities each wanting to do their own thing.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM

7,439 posts, read 10,087,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Chamblee has only annexed residential areas when requested too by the citizens of those areas.

The real worry is how bad a shape is DeKalb going to be in for the next X years? And whether a city, whatever city, can insulate residents from the issues that is going to cause?.
I don't think the whole of what would become Brookhaven is slated to be annexed by one of the other, but chunks of that area has been discussed. Residents in those areas like the idea of being their own city rather than a part of the other.

Counties in GA, especially suburban counties, act like cities in other parts of the country. For most of Atlanta's history, this has worked fine. But Fulton became too big, too unweildy and unresponsive to citizens' concerns and now almost all of Fulton is incorporated into one city or another. DeKalb has been an excellently run county in the past, but there are fears that it has become like Fulton.

As for Chamblee annexations, after decades of maintaining their small footprint, they have annexed up to 285 recently and have another large annexation vote coming the same time Brookhaven votes.

Governor Deal Signs Chamblee Annexation Bill - Brookhaven, GA Patch

This could lead to a domino effect in the county. Found this site proposing a group to study what central DeKalb could do in response, might see a city of Druid Hills coming into being in the not too distant future.

Central DeKalb: exploring cityhood or annexation | Clairmont Heights Civic Association

Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,829,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
This is a good point. I am in the Danbury Parc subdivision, which is part of the new proposed city. If it does not go through, I could definitely picture Chamblee trying to claim us in the future. I don't care to have a Chamblee mailing address.
If Chamblee tried to annex Brookhaven, would there have to be another referendum on that? I can't see the residents voting for that.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM

970 posts, read 3,502,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
If Chamblee tried to annex Brookhaven, would there have to be another referendum on that? I can't see the residents voting for that.
Someone told me if Chamblee tried to annex parts of Brookhaven, Chamblee residents would get to vote on it also. So it wouldn't just be up to the Brookhaven residents. This is just heresay so not sure if it's true.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM

29,408 posts, read 26,365,268 times
With a few exceptions, annexation in Georgia requires approval of the area to be annexed. I don't think the voters in the city that's proposing the annexing vote on it directly.

Annexation Methods in Georgia

Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,071,404 times
Quote:
With a few exceptions, annexation in Georgia requires approval of the area to be annexed. I don't think the voters in the city that's proposing the annexing vote on it directly.

Right only the residents of the area get to vote -- Doraville has tried (twice?) to annex an island between it and Dunwoody and it has failed twice. If Doraville residents got to vote, it would have probably passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

DeKalb has been an excellently run county in the past, but there are fears that it has become like Fulton.
DeKalb is there already -- bottom of the barrel and the school system is probably the worse managed in the state. DeKalb is 85 million short for next year and Fulton is hiring teachers, giving step increases to those teachers and not raising taxes. DeKalb is looking at a 1-2 mil tax increase. We will be paying more and getting less.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 PM

7,439 posts, read 10,087,256 times
Quote:

This link seems to leave out some options. I am specifically thinking of when an area wants to be annexed but the city isn't interested. Seems like Decatur residents voted down an annexation request by some neighborhoods who wanted to come in to Decatur fearing it would overwhelm the school system. This has been rather recently, like in the last few years if memory serves me right.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:43 AM

6,562 posts, read 7,684,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This link seems to leave out some options. I am specifically thinking of when an area wants to be annexed but the city isn't interested. Seems like Decatur residents voted down an annexation request by some neighborhoods who wanted to come in to Decatur fearing it would overwhelm the school system. This has been rather recently, like in the last few years if memory serves me right.
The city has to agree to the annexation and be willing to negotiate how services are provided with the county... -AND- the parts being annexed need a majority vote for it.

Unless there is something I haven't seen Decatur residents can't vote for it. The vote would be only for new annexed areas, but the city of Decatur (acting on behalf of it's citizens) may not approve of any annexation requests to start with.

The other side to this is the state legislature. They can create individual laws for specific annexations/new cities. This is how the dispute between the name of Brookhaven vs. Ashford came up. This is also why many of the new cities/major annexations are occurring to the north in Republican friendly areas. These areas, when desiring cityhood/annexation are getting help from the legislature to obtain it. They are still voting for it nonetheless, but they are often choosing where the boundaries are and how it is voted very carefully.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:24 AM
fzx

385 posts, read 389,121 times
I would vote for the annexation. What is the point of being in the county when the south part has a free ride? If the real estate market in the south does not recover in the next few years and the county is run by self-interested or incompetent officers, I can foresee another mileage increase soon. The scary part is, if the south part is depressed for a while, many houses will become inhabitable, which could potentially bring down the whole area.

The only downside is, if the system is not set up correctly, the new city could be prone to huge investment risks, which a smaller city cannot afford.

A prestige address or not really is not my concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta