U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,960,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Chamblee has only annexed residential areas when requested too by the citizens of those areas.

The real worry is how bad a shape is DeKalb going to be in for the next X years? And whether a city, whatever city, can insulate residents from the issues that is going to cause?.
I think that unless these new cities find a way to get their own school systems all of DeKalb is going to look like South DeKalb in the next 10-20 years. IMO, if housing had not collapsed the stampede would have occurred already. I will probably be able to get my oldest through this system before it totally collapses, but either I will send my youngest to private school or we'll be getting out. I'm just stunned at the notion of higher property taxes for even larger class sizes. Either these people are insane or they think we are. They will continue playing race politics until everybody with a functioning brain stem leaves the county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM

5,010 posts, read 2,782,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Right only the residents of the area get to vote -- Doraville has tried (twice?) to annex an island between it and Dunwoody and it has failed twice. If Doraville residents got to vote, it would have probably passed.

DeKalb is there already -- bottom of the barrel and the school system is probably the worse managed in the state. DeKalb is 85 million short for next year and Fulton is hiring teachers, giving step increases to those teachers and not raising taxes. DeKalb is looking at a 1-2 mil tax increase. We will be paying more and getting less.
Well the proposed city of Brookhaven will not be running any schools so that won't fix anything related to Dekalb schools or taxes supporting that.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:25 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,514,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well the proposed city of Brookhaven will not be running any schools so that won't fix anything related to Dekalb schools or taxes supporting that.
No. The city will be over parks, roads, zoning, and I think they are adding a small police force of off duty Dekalb Co. cops.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,611,301 times
I will probably be voting for it. It is pretty split among the street signs in people's yards. If nothing else, I'll probably see a little higher property value as a result.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM

29,289 posts, read 26,226,966 times
If Brookhaven becomes a city, I wonder what would happen if they started annexing parts of Buckhead. Is that even legal?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,065,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Brookhaven becomes a city, I wonder what would happen if they started annexing parts of Buckhead. Is that even legal?
Buckhead would become there own city before they would ever let Brookhaven anex apart of it. And that is very unlikey to happen.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM

207 posts, read 257,382 times
Quote:
No.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM

7,305 posts, read 10,038,902 times
No Georgia city can annex any part of another city. An existing city would have to give up their cityhood first or de-annex a portion of their boundaries first before another city could annex the whole or a part. When Augusta and Richmond county merged last decade, the independent cities of Blythe and Hephzibah remained separate cities untouched by the merger.

Bibb City was the only other incorporated town in Muscogee County when Columbus and Muscogee merged in the 60s or 70s. It did dis-incorporate some years later and merge into Columbus. The small city of Elizabeth existed in Cobb County decades ago, most of the area north of Kennestone Hospital that used to be Elizabeth has been annexed into Marietta, but that was after the city of Elizabeth ceased to exist.

Every example I can think of is of a much larger city taking over what had been a much smaller neighboring city that ceased operations. I can't think of any example of a smaller city taking over any area once held by a much larger city. I can't think of any large city in Georgia that let any property within their corporate limits go for that matter.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
fzx

378 posts, read 386,472 times
Plus what is the incentive for Buckhead to be part of the Brookhaven sys? To pay more tax with a worse school district? How logical.

Quote:

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,307,387 times
Having gone through this before, my advice to those living in the effected areas is this,
if you're wealthy and want the extra, possibly improved (possibly not) services more exclusive address don't mind paying more for it, then incorporation may be for you.

If you're a middle class or lower income person and are having enough trouble keeping up with the rising costs of everything else, and don't have any major complaints about the services provided by the county, then incorporation is only going to make it harder to get by. Then again there is a chance that the new city will become sought after and therefore easier to sell your home and for a higher price than it would otherwise be in an unincorporated area. Of course that would also mean you'd be priced out of buying into the same area again.

Also keep in mind that independent municipalities can charge additional sales and use taxes. One small city I used to live in decided to charge a ridiculous (I think it was 17% or something like that) tax on mobile phone service.

There's no guarantee that the new city will be run by competent individuals. It could end up being in even worse shape financially and even more corrupt than the county.

That's just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
I would vote for the annexation. What is the point of being in the county when the south part has a free ride? If the real estate market in the south does not recover in the next few years and the county is run by self-interested or incompetent officers, I can foresee another mileage increase soon.
The new incorporated residents will still be paying more in taxes. And that will only get worse as the new city will assume the burden of more and more services like code enforcement, PD, parks and rec, wastewater and storm drain management and so on.

Last edited by cittic10; 06-19-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta