Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dunwoody is now a city so my company should use Dunwoody and quit trying to piggyback on the distinction of Atlanta.
Isn't the city of Atlanta also piggybacking on the success of its suburbs? After all, that's where about 93% of metro Atlantans live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Isn't the city of Atlanta also piggybacking on the success of its suburbs? After all, that's where about 93% of metro Atlantans live.
WTF is wrong with you? Atlanta was hear way before the suburbs. This is the center of commerce for the state.
That is all am going to say about this, we are getting off subject and I don't wanna make cry baby AtlantaGreg mad.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times
Quote:
No, just from another state. All I'm saying is why should companies outside of Atlanta get to use the world-wide distinction of Atlanta on the address if they choose to locate outside of the city limits. Nobody knows where Sandy Springs, Alpharetta are outside of Georgia. My company is in Dunwoody, but the address says Atlanta. Dunwoody is now a city so my company should use Dunwoody and quit trying to piggyback on the distinction of Atlanta.
My guess is they use whatever city the post office tells them to use based on zip code. My zip code says Atlanta. According to my car insurance company it's Doraville. Amazon says it's Atlanta too. Personally I don't care, but I'm not willing to fight with the postal service (or Amazon) for the "privilege" of a Dunwoody address.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
Can i still list my address as "Atlanta" even after "Brookhaven" is put up?
From what I've heard, yes you can, since the post office only cares about the zip code, not what you put for the city, to determine where to route mail.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:28 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not really, because the suburbs would never have been here in the size that they are today if the urban core had not been.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
I guess the Dallas Cowboys need to become the Arlington Cowboys since that's where they play.

I could make a list like this forever, but I won't waste my time because I think you all understand the point. Metro areas are metro areas, city limits mean diddly squat outside of where residents get services, pay taxes, etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'll address this point in a second, but first....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! Are you for real??????? The PRIVILEGE of using Atlanta in your address?????? Really?????? Nobody cares about your address anymore, it's just for the post office!!!!!!!!!

Which brings me to the answer. Addresses are strictly for the post office, thus your address is whatever city's post office services you. That's why a huge portion of Cobb county puts "Marietta" in their address instead of "Unincorporated Cobb County, Georgia." And guess what? They don't pay Marietta city taxes. Yet, they magically get the DISTINCT PRIVILEGE of using Marietta in their address.

You, cqholt, are a piece of work. You're an alien from another planet, but a piece of work just the same
That's not exactly true. There is some degree of prestige attached to certain addresses, and a certain amount of stigma and/or unknownness (for lack of a better word) attached to others.

When Tucker was talking about incorporating, it was determined that the Northlake commercial area would need to be included in order for the budget to work. Some businesses in Northlake opposed this in part because they wanted to keep their Atlanta addresses.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
When Tucker was talking about incorporating, it was determined that the Northlake commercial area would need to be included in order for the budget to work. Some businesses in Northlake opposed this in part because they wanted to keep their Atlanta addresses.
Boom, suck on that ATLTJL! Businesses not residents like to have the Atlanta name on the address.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Only those companies and residents within the city limits should have the privilege of using Atlanta in their address. Not fair that Perimeter Center uses Atlanta, but does not pay City of Atlanta taxes.
Well in that case, when traveling only residents of the city of Atlanta should be allowed to answer "Atlanta" when asked, "Where are you from?" We all know that people throughout the Metro just say "Atlanta" rather than Cumming, Snellville or Hiram. I live in Savannah, and when people around here ask where I'm from originally I say Atlanta though all my family is in Fayette County.

Fact is, including your city on addresses is unnecessary. People may do it out of habit, pride or prestige, but the ZIP code is all that's required as far as the Post Office is concerned. I imagine people in Brookhaven couldn't care less.

Interesting side note: Peachtree City officials had a cow a couple of years ago when a new shopping center opened just across the line in Coweta County, and both Sam's Club and a muliplex theater began advertising themselves as "Peachtree City." The city council passed some ordinance stating that Peachtree City is a brand name and could not be used outside the city, then directed the city attorney to draft a "cease and desist" order to the awful offenders. Though I don't think such a thing is enforceable and would no doubt lose a court challenge, the guilty parties complied. There were even a handful of churches over there that had to drop Peachtree City from their names. That entire part of eastern Coweta County has a Sharpsburg ZIP and addresses, though it's not really a town.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Quote:
Boom, suck on that ATLTJL! Businesses not residents like to have the Atlanta name on the address.
I have never heard of that before.

But by your logic, it's a moot point anyway, you would say that they shouldn't be allowed to use Atlanta even now regardless of whether or not Tucker incorporates.

What, pre tel, then should they be using?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta