U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

7,759 posts, read 9,649,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why would property taxes be expected to go down just because values went down?
I think what people are talking about is their actual assessed values going up, not their tax bill.

I don't know how it is in other counties, but in Gwinnett, your tax bill clearly shows your assessed value, millage rate, and how the amount owed is calculated.

I think people understand if the millage rate goes up and that's what counties need to do if they don't have enough money, but it seems that for whatever reason nobody wants to raise millage rates and instead they just tend to overvalue people's property.

My guess is people will fiercely resist millage rate increases because they fear that when values come back up, the counties will never lower the millage rate, they will just figure out ways to consume the extra revenue. Kind of like Georgia 400, there's always some kind of lame excuse as to why they won't get rid of the toll even though the original deal was it was just until the road had been paid for which it has been many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM

449 posts, read 961,680 times
My peoperty tax assesment in South Fulton went down, I believe. First time in 3 years. The two prior tax assessments raised my monthly escrow payment by about $60/month. Now, the payment amount is back down to where it was when I first purchased.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 PM

413 posts, read 732,906 times
It's a simple formula: govt needs $budget from taxes divided by $tax base. It doesn't really matter what your assessments and overall $tax base is.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM

650 posts, read 1,276,873 times
Fulton dispute form
(only a few days left for residental properties)

http://www.qpublic.net/ga/fulton/ind...istributed.pdf

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

180 posts, read 444,587 times
We bought in 2007, near the peak. That part is ok as we also sold a house around the same time and carried over the cash.

However Fulton county appraised us that year at a whopping 20% OVER the sales price. Owing to their timing we could not appeal that year but did so the next, making it to a session with the Board. They then steamrolled us in a classic display of a jerry-rigged and one-sided process, including outright lies about key person availability. Gave us a token reduction of some 5%.

We kept appealing and getting reductions, and earlier this year received a satisfactory valuation, but not after overpaying (IMO) into the system to the tune of some $6,000 over the past five years.

NOW the fun begins. In May we got a notice that the January valuation was being increased by... wait for it... 45% ! So we are back up close to the 2007-2008 levels. This after we all know values have dropped steadily since then.

Of course we will appeal, but when I think about how much time and grief, not to mention money, this has cost us over the years, I have to say I DESPISE Fulton county and can't wait for Milton county (if it ever does get formed). It will serve them (Fulton) right as they have been stealing from their citizens for years to support their bloated system. Really, it's hard to believe this sort of legalized crime is still allowed.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,235,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
NOW the fun begins. In May we got a notice that the January valuation was being increased by... wait for it... 45% ! So we are back up close to the 2007-2008 levels. This after we all know values have dropped steadily since then.
And again I say, assessments vs real value don't mean a whole lot. They reassess and raise the values so they don't have to raise the milliage rate. If they keep lowering assessed values to match the market, they have to raise the milliage rates in order to keep the incoming tax $$ the same. They're not going to reduce the total incoming tax dollars just because property values went down. Does it cost less to provide police, fire, schools, etc., to you just because your house's value dropped??

Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM

180 posts, read 444,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And again I say, assessments vs real value don't mean a whole lot. They reassess and raise the values so they don't have to raise the milliage rate. If they keep lowering assessed values to match the market, they have to raise the milliage rates in order to keep the incoming tax $$ the same. They're not going to reduce the total incoming tax dollars just because property values went down. Does it cost less to provide police, fire, schools, etc., to you just because your house's value dropped??
Trust me, I understand basic economics (and, I dare say, more), but at 45% increase vs the neighbors (with comparable homes) being at 20% increase or less (and their per sq ft, etc values are far less), I was shocked at the increase relative to others in the same environment. I've done the analysis every which way and there's no justification for these numbers.

I would overall rather see millage raised than individual props as the latter seems to be random/targeted to certain properties (you choose), while millage is uniform and much more fair. As the old saw goes, it's not about how much you have, it's about how much you have relative to your peer group.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,579,089 times
Our assessments (Fulton County) went down this year by 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or