U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 AM

161 posts, read 205,306 times

Advertisements

I was looking into the requirements for registering my car when I complete my move to Atlanta. I have a vehicle that I'm still making payments on, and either I'm over-thinking this and making it unnecessarily complicated, or it really IS unnecessarily complicated.

Here's what the Revenue department's website (http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/R...RegReqmts.aspx) says is required:

Quote:
1) A valid Georgia driver's license or identification card

2) Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.

3) An application for a Georgia tag must be made concurrently with an application for title when a Georgia title is required and a Georgia title has not already been issued in the applicant(s) name(s). The same application, Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application, can be used to apply for both a tag and title.

4) Proof of Ownership - Your vehicle's original valid title, manufacturer's certificate of origin* or registration certificate from a non-title state/country must be submitted. A completed and signed Form T-22B Certification of Inspection must accompany a registration certificate from a non-title state/country, completed by a duly constituted city, county or state law enforcement officer, your County Tag Agent or his/her designated employee after making a visual inspection of your vehicle's ID plate, a/k/a serial plate.

- a) Issued in the applicant(s) name(s)* or properly assigned to the applicant(s) using his/her full legal name(s).

- b) If your lender or leasing company is holding your out-of-state title, when a Georgia title is required, complete and sign Form T-17 Affidavit of Title being Held by Lien or Security Interest Holder or Leasing Company and submit with your original registration certificate in lieu of your title.

- c) The processing office will then contact your lender or leasing company by mail requesting the submission of your out-of-state title for the issuance of a Georgia title.

- d) When the Georgia title is issued, it will be mailed to your lender or leasing company. If your vehicle is not financed or leased, the title, when

5) New Requirement - If you are applying for a tag only because a Georgia title is not required and your vehicle is currently registered in a non-title state/country, you must submit the vehicle's original valid registration certificate, issued in your name or properly assigned to you. If the registration was not issued in your name and there are no spaces for transferring ownership, original signed bills of sale must be submitted establishing a complete and correct chain of ownership from the registered owner up through you, the current owner. You must also submit an original Form T-22B Certification of Inspection.

6) Proof of Insurance

7) Emissions Inspections - If, applicable.

8) Proof of Residency - Lease, deed or closing statement for new residence, final utility bill from previous residence, moving bill, shipper's bill or truck rental agreement, or, final paycheck stub or a signed letterhead statement from your former employer.
Now, hopefully just because it's so late, I'm just reading this and thinking, "Huh?" I mean, I understand the proof of residency stuff, proof of insurance, etc., but I looked at some of the forms that were listed and I'm kind of lost.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM

38 posts, read 68,546 times
It sounds bad and highly confusing when you read it. I went through it two years ago in DeKalb county - and it was bad (and involved 3 drips to the title office, despite me thinking I had everything exactly as they specified it) - and I had one business week to get mine done, because my AZ tags were expiring on the last day of the month that I got here.

Even though it says the state rep will do it, I had to get something from my lienholder - I think it was the title or a copy of it? Whichever it was, though they'd mailed it, I was able to get them to email me a scan that they had, and that sufficed for the tag/title office.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,997,476 times
First get your license, and your emissions inspection.

Then go to the tag office with: Form MV-1 (tag/title application), Form T-17 (Title held elsewhere form), Proof of Insurance, Proof of Residency, and the Emissions test report (they can access these electronically, but you might as well bring it).

Not too difficult. Most of the stuff you posted applies to cars from states where a title isn't required, so one does not exist.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 AM

455 posts, read 966,495 times
It wasn't that bad. I had everything I needed the first time I went. Do exactly what the person before me just said to do. I came from NYS and we had a title for our car so we brought that along with our GA license, emissions report, copy of insurance and the MV-1. They said I didn't need proof of residency because I had just done all that to obtain my GA license. One of our cars had a lien and one did not. The car that didn't have a lien on, I already received the new GA title. The car that has a lien, the title is held by the state (or lien holder not sure but they took care of it all) until the lien is paid off which was different than NY where we did hold the title. Overall, it wasn't so bad.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Its not bad, just make sure to bring all the info and it'll be a breeze at the DDS office. Get there early or else it'll take hours.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:37 AM

412 posts, read 726,832 times
See my post Griping about public service. Just be prepared for anything, really, anything.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
Your eyes do not deceive you.

It IS complicated (most states are complicated though).

But if you think that's bad, just wait until you get your drivers license.
Have those papers ready.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 AM

7,014 posts, read 9,323,911 times
Any advise for someone that holds a NY State license, domiciles in NY but has secondary property in Ga? Want to buy car in Ga and not give up the NY license.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 AM

4,143 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its not bad, just make sure to bring all the info and it'll be a breeze at the DDS office. Get there early or else it'll take hours.
Your county tag/Tax Commissioner office not the DDS.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,997,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Any advise for someone that holds a NY State license, domiciles in NY but has secondary property in Ga? Want to buy car in Ga and not give up the NY license.
Just register and title the car in NY once you've bought it in GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or