Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,582,443 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are contemplating a move to Atlanta from Boulder, Colorado since my husband was offered a job at Emory. We are looking to stay in a more urban, exciting part of the city and are in our late 20's. We want a two bedroom apartment with a nice balcony. We are also hoping to have a shortish commute. I would likely work in Buckhead. Our budget is small though...1100/month TOPS.
Are we out of our minds for thinking this could work??!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 12:11 AM

Just some additional info- We have no kids and so we don't care about schools, but safety is important obviously.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:26 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Is the budget 1100 + utilities or 1100 which already included utilities?
You both could use public transportation.
Not sure about the balcony

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

That wouldn't include utilities and neither one of us is wanting to use public transportation. My husband will do it if necessary, but I won't because I work retail and don't want to stand out at the transit station by myself at weird hours. We are spoiled by having always had our cars. I had no idea how expensive atlanta is!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are contemplating a move to Atlanta from Boulder, Colorado since my husband was offered a job at Emory. We are looking to stay in a more urban, exciting part of the city and are in our late 20's. We want a two bedroom apartment with a nice balcony. We are also hoping to have a shortish commute. I would likely work in Buckhead. Our budget is small though...1100/month TOPS.
Are we out of our minds for thinking this could work??!! Thanks!
You can find something in your price range but I would avoid older apartment complexes for the most part. It is tougher inside the perimeter (285) near Decatur area. You could do better to look around in Tucker which is not too far from Emory. Some poster here suggests on a regular basis of using Promove to find a good apartment complex.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM

I guess we want all the conveinences (sp?) of the suburbs and yet all the amenities of the city as well which isn't really possible. What about Decatur? Is that kind of a combo of both?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Sorry to keep posting, but it we could squeeze and contribute another 100-150/month would that really change things or are we not even in the ballpark. I have looked at apartments online, but I am just seeing things that are VERY expensive like 2500/month, etc. I am also unsure where to look. We are going out there in a month, but I we have a limited amount of time and a lot to accomplish while there so it helps to narrow the areas down. Thanks for everyone's help so far...

Someone asked me to say if I we are HBCU alumni. I am not sure what this is or why it is relevant, but the answer is no. We both went to the University of Colorado and then my husband went back to school for his BSN at Denver School of Nursing. He has a job offer at Emory and I will likely (unfortunately) work retail because that is all I've ever been able to do with my English degree.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Quote:
Sorry to keep posting, but it we could squeeze and contribute another 100-150/month would that really change things or are we not even in the ballpark. I have looked at apartments online, but I am just seeing things that are VERY expensive like 2500/month, etc. I am also unsure where to look. We are going out there in a month, but I we have a limited amount of time and a lot to accomplish while there so it helps to narrow the areas down. Thanks for everyone's help so far...
Check out Craigslist as well. You can find something decent for 1000-1200 a month. You can also try renting from a private owner who has a condo or townhome. That might give you more options, just use reasonable caution.

If at all possible, visiting the area beforehand definitely would address more of your initial concerns.

Understandably, areas near Decatur can be hit or miss. The key with Decatur is finding something close or within the City limits. The city of Decatur generally is expensive to rent in. It is very desirable overall for intowners.

Another area around there to consider that are mostly nice is Avondale Estates (just inside I-285). Avondale is very convenient to Emory. The zip there is 30002.

In Dekalb, near I-85, Chamblee and Doraville may work out, but some of those areas can be very hit or miss.

Sorry, I don't know other zip codes off the top of my head, but if you keep looking online, you can find something reasonable.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:

Someone asked me to say if I we are HBCU alumni. I am not sure what this is or why it is relevant, but the answer is no.
HBCU = "Historically Black Colleges and Universities". Sounds like someone was trying to sniff out whether you're black, without coming out and asking directly.

BTW- when you say your husband will be working at Emory, are you talking about the university, or one of the hospitals? Emory has facilities all over the metro area.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,165 times
I can't imagine wanting to live in Atlanta over Boulder, but that's just me.

You should have numerous options in your price range, depending on where you look. I second the suggestion for Promove.

What does "more urban, exciting part of the city" mean to you? We can help with locations if you define that a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta