U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,873,868 times

Advertisements

Saintmarks, we must be about the same age, because I remember the Tales of the Okefenokee ride too. It and the Mine Train were my faves. Growing up in Alabama we went a couple times a year, but I probably haven't been since high school (early eighties.) i was bummed by the comments that it had gotten dirty and run down. My son wants to go and I was thinking about taking him in the fall after it cools down a bit. I was heartened by the follow up comment that it's not ghetto at all. I guess we'll just have to judge for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
The comment that it isn't ghetto anymore could be accurate.

I stopped going in the mid 2000s at the height of ghettoification of Six Flags, so it's possible that it's cleaned up since then. I've only been for private corporate events since then where the clientele is much improved over gen pop.

As an adult, I can still handle the Scream Machine, Goliath, and Mindbender, but Batman and Superman have too much of an upchuck factor nowadays! From a roller coaster purist standpoint, our Six Flags tried to be really cheap with Ninja and Batman. They just figured lets turn people upside down as many times as we can so we can say it has 6 loops or whatever. The problem is, good roller coasters give you some straightaways and more track between inversions so you have time to get your bearings before going upside down again. That way, you can actually know what is going on. On Ninja, you just twist and turn so much and so rapidly that by the end of it you don't even know what direction you are facing anymore. It's because Six Flags was either cheap and wanted to limit how much track they built or they didn't have a big enough footprint to buid suitable coasters.

The scariest ride they ever had was Deja Vu if you sat up front. The way it would just dangle you staring face down before it let you go was really a rush. I understand why they got rid of it, though, because it seems like it was always broken. I also really enjoyed the Viper, the way it would jet you off really fast. I'm more of a speed fan than a disorientation fan, which is why I'm glad they finally built Goliath. At least there is one coaster that is pure speed without trying to see how many times it can turn you upside down. I also don't mind the Mindbender because it gives you adequate time between loops to figure out what on earth is going on.

If you talk to real coaster enthusiasts, they will tell you that while Six Flags has an impressive number of coasters, the only ones that are above average are the Scream Machine, Goliath, and Mindbender. It seems like our Six Flags is about the most neglected in the chain because parks like Magic Mountain and Six Flags over Texas seem to get more impressive rides. I don't know if it's a space issue or money issue or what, Lord knows our Six Flags was severely mismanaged for a really long time and I don't think it has fully recovered from that yet. The second golden age of roller coasters is more or less over now, so we probably have a while to wait before we can hope for significant improvement to the ride collection. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing the Scorcher, Batman, Ninja, and Georgia Cyclone removed to make way for better rides in the future. I don't like Superman either, but at least I can see how it is unique and worth keeping.

We used to adore the Looping Starship, but now I can't even look at it without having my stomach turn. I don't even know if they still have it, but it is a cool ride if you can take it.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 AM

1,406 posts, read 2,173,276 times
For many years in the 80's and 90's I went to Six Flags all the time. As a kid my favorite rides were the Daholonaga Mine Train and the log flume. When I got a little older I really enjoyed the Scream Machine and the Mind Bender.

I even worked there for a couple of summers in the late 90's. Haven't been back in over a decade, but maybe I will check it out again on a visit to Atlanta.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
Six Flags was never the same after they got rid of Buford the Buzzard. They really could have used him during the ghetto era to take all the p#ss-ant gang banger wannabes down a few pegs.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:12 AM

6,890 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Six Flags was never the same after they got rid of Buford the Buzzard. They really could have used him during the ghetto era to take all the p#ss-ant gang banger wannabes down a few pegs.
I think one of them put a cap in his... assuming this is probably not PC, tho.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM

175 posts, read 175,846 times
Ive been To Iy also about 7 Years ago I wanna say...Hadda a great time I favored the Georgia Schorcher which was pretty cool...I must say I wished we had drove though...That Express 201 Marta Bus was Horrible,Crowded,Loud as Shyt...U would think people didnt know how to ride a bus. Plus the fact the last bus leaves before the park closes cutting down on the ride time...Considerin Now that Metro Atlanta is well out that way..it wouldve een Nice if they Had the Rail line extended To six flags as a seasonal terminal and Terminate At Fulton Industrial For the rest of the year...Either way though the park was nice considering im from New York and only used to the one we have in New Jersey.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM

403 posts, read 408,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I've got an old photo of Buford from around 1979 or so.

Remember the first day that airplane ride opened and the dang thing malfunctioned? Left a bunch of folks suspended in the air for several hours. Mid to late 80's if I recall correctly.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,035,995 times
I've used the Marta shuttle before with no problem, I found it mutch better than paying there overpriced parking. I thought the last bus left one hour after the park closed, it would not make sense to stop running earlier considing alot of the riders are park employees.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 AM

1,861 posts, read 4,553,436 times
I have a vague memory and don't know if it was from Six Flags or some other park. Was there ever a ride where you leaned up against a wall, the ride spun really fast, the floor dropped, and you stuck to the walls? I might be making that up; I'm just not sure.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM

368 posts, read 414,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
I would not call SFOG ghetto in any way, shape, or form. Mabye 5 years ago, but lately I have noticed they have changed there focus more to family rides and the results have been positive as more families are comming than before. Also the attendents are mutch better trained now a days than they used to be.
I doubt people calling SFOG ghetto have even been there in the last couple of years.

I think you're right on target. Six Flags got really bad in the late 90's / early 2000s. They realized there was a problem, and took a lot of steps to correct it. A new management team was brought in and they changed their growth strategy. They put in place a whole new employee training and reward system. They've also shifted their ride installation plan. Instead of a new coaster every two years, there have been more family friendly rides and attractions. For example, this year's new attraction is 6 new family-friendly shows. Last year was a family-friendly roller coaster (only 95 feet tall) and the year before that was the refurbishment of Monster Plantation into Monster Mansion.

It's still not perfect, and surely can't be compared to the customer service at Disney, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of other Six Flags parks (anyone been to Six Flags America near DC or Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey? Visit those places for a lesson in horrible customer service!)

Anyone who hasn't been in a few years, I highly suggest you give them another shot. As long as you can get past the ridiculous $20 parking fee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or