Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you guys saw in the news about Six Flags in Atlanta turning 45.

Trying to make this fun for the kid in all of us. What are some of your best memories of Six Flags? I mostly went there as a kid back in the late '80s and early '90s. Any great concerts you saw there or other events?

I road all the rides I could. The Mind Binder, Georgia Cyclone and the Scream Machine were my favorites. I never could deal with the spinny rides no matter what age. Nowadays, I could not stomach most any of the rides, other than the Carousel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Six Flags Over Georgia.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
I only visited Six Flags over Georgia once---a CocaCola night. I was already a few years too old to ride a couple of the rides we tried . Pretty cool.

However, my most vivid recollection was of the flooding back in the late '90s/early Zins??? The entire park looked to be under water with only the tallest rides/structures visible. It was remarkable how quickly they got the park back into condition.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Growing up in Alabama, they sold discounted Six Flags season passes at the Turtles record store. You barely had to go more than once to make the price worth it.

My friends and I would pile in the car and leave at 7am (we had to leave early for the 2 hour trip, plus Alabama is an hour earlier). Even back then we knew the food at Six Flags was disgusting, so we brought a cooler and would stop at Subway in Villa Rica on our way there, keep the sandwiches in the cooler, then go out and picnic in the parking lot for lunch. I remember the inaugural seasons of the Ninja, the Z-Force, and the Georgia Cyclone. We would get there when it opened and stay until it closed. Even back then, I never understood why the park closed at 9 or 10p when it doesn't even get dark until 9:30 in the summer and amusement parks are so much more fun at night. We all knew Six Flags wasn't the best park in the county, having been places like Cedar Point and Magic Mountain, but it was close and it was something to do. I remember having to bring two or three dollars in quarters to use at the pay phone because my mother insisted that I call her to let her know I arrived safely then again when I left so she knew what time to expect me home. Having lived in Atlanta, she knew how dangerous the highways were, but she never fully "got" that you really don't hit Atlanta at all when coming from I-20 west. I'm still amazed she let me go at all when I was only 16 with my friend who was a crazy driver.

I also remember we would ritually stop at Quincy's in Anniston on the way home to have a cheap steak and big fat yeast rolls to come down from our day in the heat on the rides. Back then, our biggest enemy was church vans. They would bring huge numbers of people. But we quickly learned how to address the park. What you do is walk past all the rides and start from the back and move forward because most people are so excited when they get there that they can't resist riding the first thing they see.

I've been as an adult, and I can't believe how ghetto and dirty Six Flags has become. As I said, even back then we knew it wasn't the greatest park, but we had fun anyway. I don't know if I just never noticed the filth and thugs at the joint back then or if it's gotten worse over time. Seems like nowadays there are lots of people that try to cut in line. Back then, I remember how much white trash was there. I distinctly remember waiting in line for the Cyclone and catching a glimpse of some guy who had a tattoo of Yosemite Sam carrying two Condederate flags. Even back then I was like, "Wow, that is the nastiest most redneck thing I have ever seen."

Does anyone else remember how filthy the waster on Splash Waterfalls would get? I used to bring extra pairs of socks and shoes because I hated walking around with wet feet. I think the most pathetic and wrinkled I've ever seen my feet look was after a day at Six Flags where I forgot to do that and walked around with wet feet all day long. Remember, this was back before men were really wearing sandals or flip flops in public places, so I always had socks and sneakers.

Remember the Chevy Show? Remember making pennies float on the Free Fall? Remember the Z-Force and that kid who died on it? I remember all that stuff!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM

37 posts, read 76,299 times
My best memory was a UGA night in the early 90s, where the park is open to UGA students and alumni from like 6-midnight. I went with a couple of friends and had a blast! Hardly any lines, either.

I really don't enjoy Six Flags now. Dirty, rundown, and the ride attendants all seem to be surly teenagers who don't seem altogether concerned about safety. I spend more time worrying about whether I'm going to die on any given ride than I do actually having fun!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:51 AM

20 posts, read 41,356 times
I bought a season pass for myself and my two preteen children a couple years ago when we lived there. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I don't know what it was like previously but I do know it's far better and cleaner then what I remember of the times I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain 10 years ago. From what I hear the gangs are a problem and it's in constant threat to be shut down still today.

If we still lived there I'd definitely have bought us another season pass.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:36 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
I would not call SFOG ghetto in any way, shape, or form. Mabye 5 years ago, but lately I have noticed they have changed there focus more to family rides and the results have been positive as more families are comming than before. Also the attendents are mutch better trained now a days than they used to be.

I doubt people calling SFOG ghetto have even been there in the last couple of years.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
In the late 1990s, I remember seeing Gary Puckett, of the Union Gap, and Johnny Rivers perform.

As for rides, the Marthasville and Rabun Gap Railroad is my favorite as some of us has a fascination with our steam train heritage.

It would be nice to return to celebrate the festivities.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

284 posts, read 590,368 times
I remember when Six Flags was still very "southern-themed" before it took on the warner bros characters -- I loved Buford Buzzard, the Mine Train, and the old cars as a kid. When I was in grade school I remember the biplane ride opening -- the planes actually swung in and out to make it seem more like dogfighting. My sister loved them but I was terrified of rides like that and wouldn't go near it (and the great gasp, later the freefall, etc--but I ended up loving the mindbender!)One hot day their cables got tangled and one of my friend's sister dangled upside down while people had to get rescued. They still give me the chill just thinking about them!

The old monster plantation was amazing to me as a child...I haven't been in over a decade, but considered it just to see how they updated it. I also loved z-force and was bummed they had to shut it down due to all the whiplash incidents. I have a love/hate relationship with the wooden coaster. Its like volunteering to be in a car wreck!

And as a kid my parents would always get me one of those neon glow-necklaces...pure alchemy to a young kid! We'd try to lengthen their life by putting them in the freezer, which coaxed just enough life out of them to wear to school the next morning and show your friends.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I can outdate almost all of you. I was 7 for the first time I went, the park had only been open a few years at that time. This was a Six Flags pre-Scream Machine, pre Carousel, pre all roller coasters except for the Dahlonega Mine Train. The park was divided into 6 sections to commemorate the 6 different flags that have flown over Georgia. I guess having a Confederate section became un-PC somewhere along the line.

The biggest rides were the Mine Train and the Log Flumes. The one that went thru a tunnel was the line to get in. The Chevy Show, HR Puffnstuff and the Crystal Pistol where the indoor shows from which to escape the heat. There were sports type cars and a large track where the Gasp later came, there was an old timey car ride where the second wooden roller coaster later came just to the right of the front entrance. The indoor water ride was Tales of the Okeefenokee and featured Uncle Remus characters. I can still hear the little ditty that played on an endless loop while you were in the line.

The Scream Machine and Carousel opened up the backside of the park sometime in the 70s. I had a season's pass my high school years, the Mindbender was the latest greatest thing.

Have only been back a handful of times since then. The last trip, I noticed a definite downturn in the overall shape of the park. It used to be pristine.

Fun memories. However, age must do something to the inner ear cause the thought of most of the rides these days is not of much interest to me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta