U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
At the end of the day, it is incumbent on both driver and pedestrian to take responsibility for their own safety.
/thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Depends on the intersection. I've been down there before. Some intersections, it's not too bad; others, it's a steady stream of jaywalkers. GSU students really need a talking-to about pedestrian safety.
It's not even just at intersections. There are lots of people, and not just students, crossing streets mid-block, too.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Are you talking about where a pedestrian is headed towards a crosswalk? If so, you have to assume the worst, and that is that they would cross your path. If so, you have to stop and wait.
Many places in Downtown, there are lots of visual obstructions. You can see people in the crosswalk, but you often can't see people approaching the crosswalk. They're obstructed by buildings, delivery trucks, crowds of people waiting to cross the street in the other direction, canvassers standing on corners, construction equipment, etc.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Many places in Downtown, there are lots of visual obstructions. You can see people in the crosswalk, but you often can't see people approaching the crosswalk. They're obstructed by buildings, delivery trucks, crowds of people waiting to cross the street in the other direction, canvassers standing on corners, construction equipment, etc.
Drivers should slow down and anticipate the pedestrian they do not see, but also pedestrians should not just run out in front of a car approaching if there is not ample room/time for them to stop.

Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 AM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Very true. Pedestrians need to be aware of their environment as much as motorists and cyclists.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:00 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
I've been noticing some bad driver behavior when it comes to pedestrians in my neck of the woods.

Frequently at the crosswalks on Main St in front of the East Point MARTA station, cars will instantly stop when pedestrians start walking towards the crosswalk. The ped certainly has not entered the crosswalk and appears to be paying attention. But some drivers think that a when a ped wishes to cross, cars must stop.

Now, in the land of under-educated drivers, this causes a very unsafe situation as it is 3 lanes wide here. Some cars will stop and essentially motion for the peds to enter the crosswalk (stupid) while other drivers don't see this happening and will fly past in other lanes (more stupid). I have been seeing too many close calls in this regard and someone will likely be seriously injured from this soon.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 AM

560 posts, read 306,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I've been noticing some bad driver behavior when it comes to pedestrians in my neck of the woods.

Frequently at the crosswalks on Main St in front of the East Point MARTA station, cars will instantly stop when pedestrians start walking towards the crosswalk. The ped certainly has not entered the crosswalk and appears to be paying attention. But some drivers think that a when a ped wishes to cross, cars must stop.

Now, in the land of under-educated drivers, this causes a very unsafe situation as it is 3 lanes wide here. Some cars will stop and essentially motion for the peds to enter the crosswalk (stupid) while other drivers don't see this happening and will fly past in other lanes (more stupid). I have been seeing too many close calls in this regard and someone will likely be seriously injured from this soon.

That's why Ga law says it is illegal to pass a car stopped at a crosswalk for pedestrians.

TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 5 - RIGHTS AND DUTIES OF PEDESTRIANS
§ 40-6-91 - Right of way in crosswalks
(d) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,375,674 times
Yeah, but just like the folks stopping for people just approaching the crosswalk, people don't seem to care about what the law says.

IMO, it's time to revoke all drivers licenses and make a challenging test that many current drivers probably can't pass without failing a couple of times. Watch the vehicular fatality rate crawl down a bit, I guarantee it.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yeah, but just like the folks stopping for people just approaching the crosswalk, people don't seem to care about what the law says.
I can't tell you how many times I've waited to turn because I saw a pedestrian approaching the intersection, only to have motorists behind me blowing their tops for me to to go ahead. I won't do it.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:58 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've waited to turn because I saw a pedestrian approaching the intersection, only to have motorists behind me blowing their tops for me to to go ahead. I won't do it.
Don't let other drivers influence how you drive, that is the definition of aggressive driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or