U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 24,830,430 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the bike/pedestrian issue often gets overlooked.

There have been many unfortunate incidents over the years, and the risk increases as we have more people out walking and biking.

Study Finds Higher Number of Pedestrians Hurt by Bikes More than 500 New York City residents are injured badly enough to be treated in hospitals after being struck by bicyclists each year"

Was the cyclist who killed a pedestrian reckless? "San Francisco's bicycling community is bracing for a backlash following the second recent case of a cyclist hitting and killing a pedestrian..."

Pedestrians, cyclists hope to find unity in safer Katy Trail after jogger's fatal collision 28 year old jogger dies after being struck by cyclist on Dallas' Katy Trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,129,683 times
Kudos to anyone that tries to ride a bicycle in Atlanta. I sure wouldn't do it, that's for sure. I rode a bike as a kid, but the older I got, the more I realized that the car is king.

Maybe bicyclists would curry more favor with the public if they got more involved in the politics of the roads. I would wonder why the truly diehard bicycle enthusiasts don't just adopt a city or county, say like Decatur & Dekalb County, and just invade the heck out of those political domains, such as the Mayor's office, or Commissioners' offices. Then they could put in some more bike-friendly local ordinances and direct that any new road and bridge retrofittings have an accompanying bike path.

Because it's obvious that the pushy "I'm gonna bicycle anywhere I darn well please and to heck with the consequences" approach hasn't really gotten any really significant results beyond the typical piecemeal bike trail or bike path on the road here or there. And all this mindset does is leave the non-bicycling crowd with harsh feelings towards bicyclists...because at the end of the day, it's the non-bicyclists/car drivers who seem to have more pull with your typical Georgia politicians.

At least, that's my take on the situation.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-17-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 02:14 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,885,887 times
That's just the thing, around here bike lanes ARE plentiful. All of the major streets in my neighborhood have them, and cyclists use them constantly. That's why I couldn't understand WTH he was doing on the sidewalk. We had bike lanes up both sides of my street for as long as I've been here. We just got sidewalks. I hadn't given much thought to cyclists prior to that encounter. I have no problem sharing the road, but they get the road and the sidewalk TOO!? I think not. If my baby had been hurt I would've hounded that jackass to the grave.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Maybe bicyclists would curry more favor with the public if they got more involved in the politics of the roads. I would wonder why the truly diehard bicycle enthusiasts don't just adopt a city or county, say like Decatur & Dekalb County, and just invade the heck out of those political domains, such as the Mayor's office, or Commissioners' offices. Then they could put in some more bike-friendly local ordinances and direct that any new road and bridge retrofittings have an accompanying bike path.
I've heard opposition to bike lanes and paths within the city on the grounds that it's just more yuppie colonization. "Why," the argument runs, "should we be spending money so that some 20-something who has suddenly decided it's cool to move into the city can sport around on his $1200 bike?" Not that I entirely agree, I'm just saying that sentiment is out there.

For what it's worth, the issues for bicyclists and pedestrians really aren't the same, other than the fact that they can both be mowed down by a car.

I started this thread because I think that in order to make Atlanta more pedestrian friendly, pedestrians need to do their part as well. They need to know the rules for safe walking, and be able to interact with bicycles and motorized vehicles.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:24 PM

That's relative.

I'm speaking in general here, not just some piecemeal stuff here or there. What I'm talking about here is about bike paths that can be utilized in the same exact way as you would drive a car on the road in any given part of Decatur or Atlanta.

There are no bike paths in my neighborhood, not even sidewalks until you get on the main roads, and that's the reality for a lot of older pre-1960s-built neighborhoods in Dekalb. There's no bike path going down Church Street from downtown Decatur, there's no bike path that leads from the Dekalb Avenue straight into the downtown Atlanta, and not one on Ponce de Leon from Decatur towards Atlanta.

It would be easier for folks to have more affinity with the bicyclists if the paths were more present in many parts of the metro Atlanta. Otherwise bicyclists can continue to expect the frosty reception that they've always had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
That's just the thing, around here bike lanes ARE plentiful. All of the major streets in my neighborhood have them, and cyclists use them constantly. That's why I couldn't understand WTH he was doing on the sidewalk. We had bike lanes up both sides of my street for as long as I've been here. We just got sidewalks. I hadn't given much thought to cyclists prior to that encounter. I have no problem sharing the road, but they get the road and the sidewalk TOO!? I think not. If my baby had been hurt I would've hounded that jackass to the grave.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-17-2012 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM

That's why I suggested that bicycle enthusiasts should learn to get into politics and start electing people that will curry favor with them. In the south, it's power that matters. And amassing political power is the only way to get things done around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've heard opposition to bike lanes and paths within the city on the grounds that it's just more yuppie colonization. "Why," the argument runs, "should we be spending money so that some 20-something who has suddenly decided it's cool to move into the city can sport around on his $1200 bike?" Not that I entirely agree, I'm just saying that sentiment is out there.

For what it's worth, the issues for bicyclists and pedestrians really aren't the same, other than the fact that they can both be mowed down by a car.

I started this thread because I think that in order to make Atlanta more pedestrian friendly, pedestrians need to do their part as well. They need to know the rules for safe walking, and be able to interact with bicycles and motorized vehicles.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,885,887 times
Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. An issue we have here in Dunwoody pertains to people walking their dogs in the early morning hours on the streets that don't have sidewalks. I'm convinced that one of these days I'm going to hit one because they insist on walking their dogs at the same time that people are taking their kids to school. It's dark, they're in dark, non-reflective clothing walking the wrong way!!! I always obey the speed limit, but a lot of people don't, and will pass on these narrow, hilly roads. It's a tragedy just waiting to happen.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
That's why I suggested that bicycle enthusiasts should learn to get into politics and start electing people that will curry favor with them. In the south, it's power that matters. And amassing political power is the only way to get things done around here.
True, although the bicycle enthusiasts will have to rely on their smarts and good looks, since there aren't enough of them to win on numbers.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. An issue we have here in Dunwoody pertains to people walking their dogs in the early morning hours on the streets that don't have sidewalks. I'm convinced that one of these days I'm going to hit one because they insist on walking their dogs at the same time that people are taking their kids to school. It's dark, they're in dark, non-reflective clothing walking the wrong way!!! I always obey the speed limit, but a lot of people don't, and will pass on these narrow, hilly roads. It's a tragedy just waiting to happen.
I hear you, Roslyn.

The morning and evening hours are especially dangerous in my opinion. I am a big pedestrian advocate and try to always be VERY aware of people on foot. But I can't tell you how many close calls I've had pulling out of my driveway in the morning or early evening. Even when you are watching carefully, if someone comes running down the sidewalk (with headphones on and oblivious to the world), it may still be hard to see them until they are right there.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM

You're right on that one.

I would add that the few bicycling enthusiasts I've met by far are usually pretty self-interested and clique-ish. Definitely not the types that could inspire anyone outside of the bicycling community to join their cause.

Not that I'm saying that all of the bicycling crowd are like this, because I know a lot of regular joe food delivery types who are very laid back.

But the yuppie crowd? The ones with the professional biking gear...a lot of them tend to move around with their heads up their hindquarters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
True, although the bicycle enthusiasts will have to rely on their smarts and good looks, since there aren't enough of them to win on numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or