U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2012, 05:21 PM
 
14,348 posts, read 8,882,221 times
Reputation: 3402
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Uh. Whenever I hear about bicyclists vs. drivers around here, the bicyclists are almost always the ones demonized. Even if they do make mistakes, I feel that they are being singled out.
Well, I was talking about bicyclists vs. pedestrians, not bicyclists vs. cars.

In my opinion, pedestrians definitely get the short end of the stick from cyclists.

If you read the links I posted earlier in the thread here, consider this post from the cyclist in San Francisco who recently killed a pedestrian when he plowed into a crowded crosswalk at 35 mph:
Around 8 am I was descending Divisidero Street southbound and about to cross Market Street. The light turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection, but I was already way too committed to stop. The light turned red as I was cruising through the middle of the intersection and then, almost instantly, the southern crosswalk on Market and Castro filled up with people coming from both directions. The intersection very long and the width of Castro Street at that point is very short, so, in a nutshell, blammo.

The quote/unquote 'scene of the crime' was that intersection right by the landmark Castro Theatre – it leads from a really busy MUNI station to that little plaza where The Naked Guy always hangs out. It was commuter hour and it was crowded as all getup. I couldn't see a line through the crowd and I couldn't stop, so I laid it down and just plowed through the crowded crosswalk in the least-populated place I could find.

As to riding on the sidewalk, it's not only dangerous but illegal. I don't want cyclists to come to harm, but sidewalks are for people on foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,036 posts, read 2,550,703 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Problem is, though, isn't the road a much more dangerous place for them? Aren't they just deferring danger from themselves to walkers?
Uh, but it's ILLEGAL for them to be on the sidewalk. I have a legal right to walk down a sidewalk with my baby. A cyclist has no legal right to do so unless he/she is a child. This was a fully grown man, and an obnoxious jerk at that. This is the very attitude that causes the hostility in the first place. Get on the road or get off the bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,199 posts, read 1,712,704 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Uh, but it's ILLEGAL for them to be on the sidewalk. I have a legal right to walk down a sidewalk with my baby. A cyclist has no legal right to do so unless he/she is a child. This was a fully grown man, and an obnoxious jerk at that. This is the very attitude that causes the hostility in the first place. Get on the road or get off the bike.
As a cyclist, I agree with you 100%. Bicycles don't belong on the sidewalk (except for children). And "the finger" is never an appropriate gesture regardless of the situation. If it is any consolation I suspect that rider is the same guy that would give you the finger after he cut you off in traffic and you dared to honk at him.

I'm sorry that you were treated so rudely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
7,165 posts, read 3,790,885 times
Reputation: 1564
There needs to be driver, cyclist, and pedestrian education.
Hate when cyclist run red lights or stop signs. As a cyclist myself, for commuting not recreation, I just wanna clothes-line those people. Bikes should always use the street and stay to the right, except when turning left and then use hand signals.
Pedestrians that cross mid-block and do not use cross walks. How are we suppose to educate drivers when pedestrians don't follow the rules? Only cross with traffic and/or when the crosswalk light permits it.
Drivers need to know that when turning they must stop for pedestrians. Also, do not stop in the crosswalk as this forces peds into the road. Drivers need to stop before the crosswalk. Pay attention to cyclist had signals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Georgia
2,235 posts, read 1,209,108 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Uh, but it's ILLEGAL for them to be on the sidewalk. I have a legal right to walk down a sidewalk with my baby. A cyclist has no legal right to do so unless he/she is a child. This was a fully grown man, and an obnoxious jerk at that. This is the very attitude that causes the hostility in the first place. Get on the road or get off the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
As a cyclist, I agree with you 100%. Bicycles don't belong on the sidewalk (except for children). And "the finger" is never an appropriate gesture regardless of the situation. If it is any consolation I suspect that rider is the same guy that would give you the finger after he cut you off in traffic and you dared to honk at him.

I'm sorry that you were treated so rudely.
One cyclist doesn't speak for the whole lot of them. Aggression from cars is IMO far more serious than aggression from bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,036 posts, read 2,550,703 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
One cyclist doesn't speak for the whole lot of them. Aggression from cars is IMO far more serious than aggression from bikes.
So you'revsaying what? That because of aggressive drivers cyclists should be able to endanger others by riding on the sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Georgia
2,235 posts, read 1,209,108 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
So you'revsaying what? That because of aggressive drivers cyclists should be able to endanger others by riding on the sidewalk?
Roslyn, if this is what the choice is coming down to, then it's caused by a lack of bike lanes and recklessness all around. Look, I'm sorry for what that idiot bicyclist did to you the other week. He was clearly in the wrong, and I'm just glad you and especially your baby are OK. I just don't want to, in the name of punishing bad behavior such as his, hurt a lot of innocent people in the process.

Cars, bikers, and pedestrians CAN coexist if given the proper education and physical space. But it's an ongoing process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Dunwoody)
2,036 posts, read 2,550,703 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Roslyn, if this is what the choice is coming down to, then it's caused by a lack of bike lanes and recklessness all around. Look, I'm sorry for what that idiot bicyclist did to you the other week. He was clearly in the wrong, and I'm just glad you and especially your baby are OK. I just don't want to, in the name of punishing bad behavior such as his, hurt a lot of innocent people in the process.

Cars, bikers, and pedestrians CAN coexist if given the proper education and physical space. But it's an ongoing process.
That's just the point, there was a bike lane not five feet from where he knocked me down. All the main streets in dunwoody have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Georgia
2,235 posts, read 1,209,108 times
Reputation: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
That's just the point, there was a bike lane not five feet from where he knocked me down. All the main streets in dunwoody have them.
Well then there was no excuse on his part. Not sure why he felt the need to zoom down the sidewalk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 06:40 PM
 
Location: The South
1,151 posts, read 646,531 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I really considered calling the police.
911 is your friend You should have called instantly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top