U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Atlanta, did you make the right choice?
Yes 19 52.78%
No 10 27.78%
Between Yes and No 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,444,494 times

Advertisements

My mother moved to Georgia from Western NY as well and still loves it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:09 PM

103 posts, read 226,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Atlanta has a decent amount of what NY has, but not really. Atlanta is just a different city. What is that you are looking for?
How different is Atlanta?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:31 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
very

Old 07-01-2012, 03:55 AM

3,962 posts, read 4,556,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
atlanta is interesting, i don't know of another city exactly like it. we have several "urban cores", the most developed of which is the midtown/downtown corridor. however, it's entirely linear, going north to south. one mile either east or west of this urban area and you're in historic residential neighbourhoods— what many NYCers might call suburban. most of the quirky and interesting spots are in these residential neighbourhoods, surrounded by a lot of historic homes and with a huge tree canopy. a good example is little five points.

image removed (copyrighted watermarked stock photo image)

basically you aren't in a sea of concrete like you are in new york. atlanta has parks and forests and stuff right in town, and while things are spread out a little bit more, you also have an extremely diverse geography in a very small area which makes up for the lower population density.

for example, all this is within two miles of each other:

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-11-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM

439 posts, read 696,886 times
How different. Atlanta seems like a long strip mall to me. There are a few quaint communities here and there but nothing impresses. It is like a cheap spin off of the big cities. They like to compare themselves to the established metropolis of 100s of years but they have a long way to go. I call Atlanta an urban province. Northerners bring the professionalism and competitiveness that annoys the generational Southerner who is used to the connection handouts of family and friends for jobs. It is like they did not wake up to the sudden growth of the city and feel they can be laid back when they actually can't afford that anymore. Like the traffic light changed to green and no one honks, they are stuck in the 80s. Their education is catered to GA. They have no notion that there is a world beyond their borders, their children are educated to stay put and not compete with the rest of the country or the world. Hence their unemployment rate. Hence the massive intrastate transfers from large corporations established in Ga or elsewhere. Despite having a degree, they are grossly under-educated and under-employed. That's how different. NYers come and do what Northerners do: mind their own business. If you are searching for reasonably priced real estate (I always say it is cheap for a reason) and maybe just maybe a better quality of life (and by that I mean being able to save, retain income and invest), by all means move down.

Do not fall for the NY of the South as Atlanta is way too young a city to be compared. It is not even close.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,195,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
How different. Atlanta seems like a long strip mall to me. There are a few quaint communities here and there but nothing impresses. It is like a cheap spin off of the big cities. They like to compare themselves to the established metropolis of 100s of years but they have a long way to go. I call Atlanta an urban province. Northerners bring the professionalism and competitiveness that annoys the generational Southerner who is used to the connection handouts of family and friends for jobs. It is like they did not wake up to the sudden growth of the city and feel they can be laid back when they actually can't afford that anymore. Like the traffic light changed to green and no one honks, they are stuck in the 80s. Their education is catered to GA. They have no notion that there is a world beyond their borders, their children are educated to stay put and not compete with the rest of the country or the world. Hence their unemployment rate. Hence the massive intrastate transfers from large corporations established in Ga or elsewhere. Despite having a degree, they are grossly under-educated and under-employed. That's how different. NYers come and do what Northerners do: mind their own business. If you are searching for reasonably priced real estate (I always say it is cheap for a reason) and maybe just maybe a better quality of life (and by that I mean being able to save, retain income and invest), by all means move down.

Do not fall for the NY of the South as Atlanta is way too young a city to be compared. It is not even close.
Bwahaha someone made the move and isn't happy about it!

Anyway, I'm from Atlanta and now live in Manhattan. With regards to,

Quote:
Northerners bring the professionalism and competitiveness that annoys the generational Southerner who is used to the connection handouts of family and friends for jobs
I have never seen more "Oh, your brother needs a job? Send him by my office tomorrow!" in my life than I have here. It's rampant. Not with higher level/executive jobs of course, but run of the mill stuff.

And as far as,

Quote:
NYers come and do what Northerners do: mind their own business.
this made my morning. Northerns love to gossip just as much as the next person. Also, you do realize that the term "northerner" refers to a wall street executive pulling in $800k a year just as much as it refers to a retired person who spends his days fishing on a lake in New Hampshire, right?

I mean you're making sweeping generalizations about millions upon millions of people that don't necessarily have anything at all in common except their geographical location. I would say that people who do that are idiots, but then I'd be falling into the same trap, so of course I won't!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 PM

103 posts, read 226,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,176,351 times
I'll be moving to Atlanta from NY shortly. I'll update the thread in about a week to share my initial impressions.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
You have made me feel so much better. We are Long Islanders and are considering a move to Roswell and also have a special needs high school student. Another concern I have is the affordability of the area and what you think might be the minimum yearly income to live in Roswell comfortably.....

Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,102,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenkjc View Post
You have made me feel so much better. We are Long Islanders and are considering a move to Roswell and also have a special needs high school student. Another concern I have is the affordability of the area and what you think might be the minimum yearly income to live in Roswell comfortably.....
Roswell is extremely affordable relative to Long Island, but it's impossible to say what the minimum income you'd need would be without knowing more about your lifestyle and your current debts. You can find housing in the Roswell area starting in the $100's, or you could drop $500k if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or