U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Atlanta, did you make the right choice?
Yes 19 52.78%
No 10 27.78%
Between Yes and No 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,271,308 times

Advertisements

You certainly get more house in Roswell than you do than where my in-laws live in Great Neck. That said, there are lots of things you don't get here (walking to the corner deli for hot fresh bagels, taking the train into Manhattan for a Broadway show, etc). It is just a different lifestyle and you will either love or hate it.
The thing about affordability is that you have to take into account that salaries are generally lower here than in the Northeast.
I assume you already have a job offer/transfer or you wouldn't even consider making the move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 PM

146 posts, read 152,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
WNYers here and love it. Weather rocks, real estate rocks, real estate taxes rock. Not much I can say that doesn't rock. I was just commenting to my husband tonight while driving home how pretty it is here. The landscaping is lush and so well kept up. Nothing like that in Buffalo. But...if you are thinking you will get NYC here, like the others said, you won't but I never lived there and I loved to visit but couldn't imagine living in such a small apt for twice my mortgage.

Buffalo NY and NYC is two totally different places. absolutely no comparison. Im from NYC and i couldnt even imagine living in a place like Buffalo. Now ATL i can see my family and I relocating there. when I retire maybe.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM

113 posts, read 196,732 times
Consider that move south........ SPECIALLY if your from any of the 5 boroughs.

Its too different....... some adjust....most move back up north like me LOL.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,186,010 times
I just got back from Atlanta early this morning and it's a decent size city but certainly not as dense as NYC. I also wouldn't drive there lol. I was lucky to catch a cab and even some of the other cabs had difficulty mineuvering in the traffic. I did like how clean it looked in the summer sun. From what I heard, there are mountains outside of the city too, which is good for people who like to hike and be outdoors. I enjoyed the Midtown and Buckhead areas the most.

But I've lived in the South before and anyone could probably tell you that if you're a native of the northeast, you really will have a difficult time adjusting. When I first got there, I couldn't even understand a lot of the people because their accents are heavy and they talk so nonchalantly (sp?).

I do think that if you're an upstate NYer, the move might be easier for you than if you're from NYC.

Another thing I noticed is that the suburbs in Atlanta are really spread out and can stretch really far out from the city. It's certainly not as walkable as NYC.

And it's not a coastal city so you will have to drive to get to the east coast beaches, although I heard the natural scenery outside of Atlanta is beautiful.

I was in a suit and the heat didn't seem that bad. I think it was like high 80s yesterday when I was there. No biggie.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM

971 posts, read 1,466,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
People from Manhattan complain about Brooklyn, they can be extremely short-sighted.

I moved to Atlanta, 2 years ago and love it. You can too if you don't fall into that trap of constant comparisons. It's possible to appreciate both cities for what they have to offer.
Totally agree. To the OP, i actually own in ATL and live in Manhattan now due to work. ATL gets its fair share of bashing. To me personally, it has more than NYC to offer but it all depends on what you like and like to do. Its a very nice transition I just suggest you have at least some interviews lined up or a job. But thats advice I would give to someone moving anywhere. Good luck! Im goin back to ATL for good shortly myself.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:04 PM

971 posts, read 1,466,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
How different. Atlanta seems like a long strip mall to me. There are a few quaint communities here and there but nothing impresses. It is like a cheap spin off of the big cities. They like to compare themselves to the established metropolis of 100s of years but they have a long way to go. I call Atlanta an urban province. Northerners bring the professionalism and competitiveness that annoys the generational Southerner who is used to the connection handouts of family and friends for jobs. It is like they did not wake up to the sudden growth of the city and feel they can be laid back when they actually can't afford that anymore. Like the traffic light changed to green and no one honks, they are stuck in the 80s. Their education is catered to GA. They have no notion that there is a world beyond their borders, their children are educated to stay put and not compete with the rest of the country or the world. Hence their unemployment rate. Hence the massive intrastate transfers from large corporations established in Ga or elsewhere. Despite having a degree, they are grossly under-educated and under-employed. That's how different. NYers come and do what Northerners do: mind their own business. If you are searching for reasonably priced real estate (I always say it is cheap for a reason) and maybe just maybe a better quality of life (and by that I mean being able to save, retain income and invest), by all means move down.

Do not fall for the NY of the South as Atlanta is way too young a city to be compared. It is not even close.
This is a very broad sweeping misconception.....you cant be serious. If you knew anything about ATL you would know that the majority of the people that you run across are varied, not just locals. There are tons of people there from teverywhere. Adding to the numbers of the so called grossly underemployed and educated whom you speak of.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:30 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,394,502 times
You will find very few people from NYC that like it anywhere other than there, and if you've lived there before it's understandable as to why minus the cost of living.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,186,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Totally agree. To the OP, i actually own in ATL and live in Manhattan now due to work. ATL gets its fair share of bashing. To me personally, it has more than NYC to offer but it all depends on what you like and like to do. Its a very nice transition I just suggest you have at least some interviews lined up or a job. But thats advice I would give to someone moving anywhere. Good luck! Im goin back to ATL for good shortly myself.
What things do you like to do in ATL that NYC doesn't offer you?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 PM

369 posts, read 533,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I wish you would elaborate on that.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:37 PM

48 posts, read 55,196 times
Personally, I would not recommend it. I am from NJ and to me, it does not compare. Atlanta is not truely "southern" in my opinion as it does not have the same home town values or charm that you think of when you think of the south but also none of the amenities of a big northern city like NYC as several people have mentioned.
For me, it is a lot of urban sprawl with no real personality or ability to meet people. I have family here which keeps me around but I would take the north any day. I suppose it is all what you are used to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or