U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: After moving to Atlanta, did you make the right choice?
Yes 18 51.43%
No 10 28.57%
Between Yes and No 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 12,481 times
Default Anyone from NY who has moved to Atlanta and really likes it?

I am a software engineer. I am considering to move from NY to Atlanta.

I will like to get some feedbacks from people who have moved from NY to Atlanta and have liked it or not? and why?

I would really appreciate any points of views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM

6,235 posts, read 3,585,299 times
What are you looking for and what do you expect?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:17 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,480,273 times
I did the opposite. I'm from Atlanta and now live in Manhattan.

I prefer living in New York, but Atlanta is always home and I enjoy going back a couple times a year.

One of the best parts about Atlanta of course is the cost of living. For what a sixth floor walk up studio will cost you in New York, you can get a 2 bedroom condo with a parking spot right by Piedmont Park in Atlanta. Hard to beat that.

Then if you get tired of living downtown, you can go buy a nice house in the suburbs for what your downpayment on a small condo back in New York would be.

Also I'll take the winters in Atlanta over the winters up here anytime. It still gets pretty cold down in Atlanta, but it doesn't last near as long.

The traffic in Atlanta can be a nightmare, but that's true in New York also. The difference is that New York has a much more extensive subway network. MARTA is great if your origin and destination are both by a stop, but once you start involving bus transfers and whatnot, it quickly becomes more trouble than its worth.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM

282 posts, read 138,992 times
Atlanta has a decent amount of what NY has, but not really. Atlanta is just a different city. What is that you are looking for?

Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

4,004 posts, read 3,232,923 times
People from upstate New York tend to love Atlanta.

People from Manhattan are rarely happy anywhere outside of Manhattan. Unless they are just totally over it and want a complete change of pace.

But don't expect to come here and find New York in the south. You won't.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:05 PM

1,033 posts, read 1,224,085 times
Moved here (Roswell) two years ago from Westchester County, NY after living in Connecticut for a number of years.
My husband is a Long Island native and had never lived outside of the tri-state area.
We absolutely love it here. Beautiful house in a wonderful swim/tennis community and the savings in property taxes alone equal my annual take-home pay in Connecticut. Great people, restaurants, church, weather.....
Roswell High School has been wonderful for my special needs son.
I still love getting back to Manhattan for a long weekend now and then.....

Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM

735 posts, read 552,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
People from Manhattan are rarely happy anywhere outside of Manhattan. Unless they are just totally over it and want a complete change of pace.

\

I agree! people from NYc hate any place because it doesnt have the amenities that NYC does. I encountered a lot of these types during college, but the people ive met down here seem to love it
But please visit a few times before you move

Old 06-17-2012, 06:07 PM

403 posts, read 476,182 times
WNYers here and love it. Weather rocks, real estate rocks, real estate taxes rock. Not much I can say that doesn't rock. I was just commenting to my husband tonight while driving home how pretty it is here. The landscaping is lush and so well kept up. Nothing like that in Buffalo. But...if you are thinking you will get NYC here, like the others said, you won't but I never lived there and I loved to visit but couldn't imagine living in such a small apt for twice my mortgage.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM

357 posts, read 183,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
People from upstate New York tend to love Atlanta.

People from Manhattan complain about Brooklyn, they can be extremely short-sighted.

I moved to Atlanta, 2 years ago and love it. You can too if you don't fall into that trap of constant comparisons. It's possible to appreciate both cities for what they have to offer.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM

103 posts, read 113,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Moved here (Roswell) two years ago from Westchester County, NY after living in Connecticut for a number of years.
My husband is a Long Island native and had never lived outside of the tri-state area.
We absolutely love it here. Beautiful house in a wonderful swim/tennis community and the savings in property taxes alone equal my annual take-home pay in Connecticut. Great people, restaurants, church, weather.....
Roswell High School has been wonderful for my special needs son.
I still love getting back to Manhattan for a long weekend now and then.....
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta