U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM

738 posts, read 1,119,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
So many responses and not one single positive one!? That is disheartening and perhaps a validation of what we've been experiencing in our hunt. So many questions now loom: How long is long enough to search for a job before giving up? If we stay put where we are, should we take advantage of interest rates and refinance our home? Should we consider other cities and, if so, which are most like Atlanta in terms of size, diversity, climate, cost of living?
Sorry - I wish the news here were better. I think we all do.

You and your DH are the only people who can answer your first two questions. It depends on what other locations you're considering, how soon you want to get out of where you are now, etc. It can't hurt to expand your job search to the cities Onthemove2014 mentioned. CA is always an option for IT, but the cost of living is a lot higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

18 posts, read 30,247 times
hautemomma,

Where are you currently located? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to gauge your current climate. Houston is faring pretty well economically, but the weather, traffic and geography are pretty horrendous.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:14 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiff View Post
hautemomma,

Where are you currently located? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to gauge your current climate. Houston is faring pretty well economically, but the weather, traffic and geography are pretty horrendous.
All those factors are nill when you are making money. She can deal with the heat and traffic in Houston when starts getting job offers.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM

40 posts, read 111,190 times
have you tried working as a consultant? Also for your husband in the IT field, Big Data is huge in Atlanta, if he has skills in Spotfire, Quilkview, Hadoop or other Business Intelligence tools

Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
All those factors are nill when you are making money.
While I understand the point you're trying to make, if she comes from somewhere that is lush with plenty of outdoor activities that she took advantage of, Houston isn't a good match. By that same logic, I could go work on a fishing boat in Alaska and make a ton of cash, but the quality of life in the area is poor.

I'm from Atlanta and moved to Houston in '97. I absolutely hate it here and plan to move "somwhere else" in 2 years... possibly back to the southeast. New Hampshire is on the radar too.

In my opinion, if her and her hubby are making a decent living where they are, they should stay until the recession ends. The only time someone should be considering a move right now is if they're independently wealthy or the place they currently live can't sustain them.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,339,222 times
Quote:
hautemomma,

Quote:
While I understand the point you're trying to make, if she comes from somewhere that is lush with plenty of outdoor activities that she took advantage of, Houston isn't a good match. By that same logic, I could go work on a fishing boat in Alaska and make a ton of cash, but the quality of life in the area is poor.

I'm from Atlanta and moved to Houston in '97. I absolutely hate it here and plan to move "somwhere else" in 2 years... possibly back to the southeast. New Hampshire is on the radar too.

In my opinion, if her and her hubby are making a decent living where they are, they should stay until the recession ends. The only time someone should be considering a move right now is if they're independently wealthy or the place they currently live can't sustain them.
Understand that your opinions are yours and that you can't decide for everyone. I don't recall the OP saying anything about outdoor activities just like Atlanta's being a requirement. You can't stand Houston, and that's fine, but for every person in your situation there's likely someone else who can't stand Atlanta and easily prefers Houston. I personally love both but do prefer the latter.

I'm not even going to continue beating that dead horse of whether Houston is lush or not. Some people just need to get out more.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Understand that your opinions are yours and that you can't decide for everyone
Oh, I do understand that. That's why my question was directed to the original poster. It wasn't an attempt to get involved this little spat over which city is better.

Quote:
I don't recall the OP saying anything about outdoor activities
Exactly why I asked the OP the question in the first place.

Quote:
You can't stand Houston, and that's fine, but for every person in your situation there's likely someone else who can't stand Atlanta and easily prefers Houston.
This was never a point of contention. I made no statements that I was the only opinion that mattered.

Quote:
I'm not even going to continue beating that dead horse of whether Houston is lush or not. Some people just need to get out more.
No one asked you to. I've been all over the world and seen "lush". I realize I'm new here but, it seems that you're just primed to pick a fight. Have fun with that.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,339,222 times
Quote:
Oh, I do understand that. That's why my question was directed to the original poster. It wasn't an attempt to get involved this little spat over which city is better.

Exactly why I asked the OP the question in the first place.

This was never a point of contention. I made no statements that I was the only opinion that mattered.

No one asked you to. I've been all over the world and seen "lush". I realize I'm new here but, it seems that you're just primed to pick a fight. Have fun with that.
I too have seen a variety of lush settings, and Houston certainly fits the description.

But no, I'm not looking to pick a fight nor am I trying to be a bully. It seemed like you were trying to influence the OP's decision into one direction. Maybe I just took your post the wrong way, and if so, I apologize.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 7,093,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Landing a job - even interviews - seems incredibly difficult in Atlanta.

My husband and I want to relocate to Atlanta and have spent all of this year looking for career opportunities, applying for jobs and even reaching out to the local contacts we have there for their connections and insights. Still . . . nothing! I realize the economy has yet to truly recover and that Atlanta may have some unique or intensified issues, but is there a point at which we should surrender our hopes on a relocation, or are there other strategies we should try?

A relative mentioned using a local Atlanta address on any applications we fill out, but while that might work on the surface, it appears that it would be easy to detect the misrepresentation of information. After all, the career candidate claims he or she resides in Atlanta, yet currently works in another city and has absolutely no job history tied to Atlanta? Most applications now require that the applicant certify by signature or a special personal code that all information contained therein is accurate, so even tempting this tactic could render one exempt from consideration based on the misrepresentation of information alone.

My husband works in IT and has about 15 years of related experience. He currently works in healthcare IT, which is supposed to be a high-demand growth area, but he has the flexibility to assume other IT-related roles as well. Unfortunately, he does not yet have his college degree, but is working toward it as well as earning additional certifications.

I work in corporate communications and have an extensive, diverse background with 15 years of related experience. I have a master's degree and have a really great, interesting background to the point of winning national awards and visibility for organizations where I've worked. Still . .. nothing!

Any advice, as we know moving to Atlanta with relatively young children will be complex unto itself, but without any hopes of landing a job, is this all in vain?
If you don't mind me asking, but what is a #!@*&^ job?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 PM

101 posts, read 274,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Sorry - I wish the news here were better. I think we all do.

You and your DH are the only people who can answer your first two questions. It depends on what other locations you're considering, how soon you want to get out of where you are now, etc. It can't hurt to expand your job search to the cities Onthemove2014 mentioned. CA is always an option for IT, but the cost of living is a lot higher.
This is true. Consider Texas, their economy is doing very well for the times we are going through. Try Houston or Dallas. Weather is a bit hot in both but traffic in Houston sucks as well as Atlanta and Dallas traffic is not as bad but offers so much economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or