U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,434,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheATL View Post
Well it sounds like you know your stuff! And I wholeheartedly agree with you. There are so many qualified people here and not enough jobs to go around. A whole lotta transplants, especially. Do you know I was here for almost 3 years before I met my 1st real live person born and raised in Atlanta? LOL. I've actually met more NYk'rs here than Atlantans. Which is kinda disheartening. I moved here to GET AWAY from you people(NYk'rs, that is)...LOL! Well with that said, I guess my stepson is headed in the right direction. He has chosen to take up engineering of some sort, and is one of the best HS students here in Georgia. He's part of an engineering program that's sending him overseas for a semester. If my ex husband decides to stay in Atlanta, that'll be a huge plus for him. I'll definitely pass this info onto him.
I think he's making the right decision. Engineering is a challenging degree but with the academic standing you say he has he should go far. Hopefully he'll stay here in Ga. and go to Ga Tech. We truly need more gifted engineers and technical people to actually develop technical companies here if we are to compete with the likes of the Research Triangle in North Carolina, Denver's Tech Center, Houston, which benefits from years of high tech engineering at it's NASA space center, and even places like Nashville which have up and coming technology sectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM

738 posts, read 1,119,028 times
Quote:
Shoot, the lowly job I just acquired in retail only hired me because they mistakenly thought I was related to one of their Supervisors-I couldn't make this stuff up! SMH. I will tell you what my friends and I have in common here-we all don't really know anyone here in Atlanta. So here's my advice to you: Pimp the heck outta those local contacts you have, call in favors, chummy up and rub elbows with higher-ups in those companies you believe you and the Hubby can make a difference in and get it so where you are so much a shoe-in for the position(s), the interview is only a formality at that point. Because Honey, your Master's degree can't get you anywhere in Atlanta like knowing the right people can.
I've never seen a time or place where this was more true. The menial, poorly-paid job my DH found after 3+ years of daily job-searching was at a place I used to work - he got interviewed because I contacted the HR director personally. It was late in the process, they had interviewed dozens of people already, and DH was way overqualified, but they hired him. He hates it, but it's better than no paycheck at all.

I'm sorry, tiredoftheATL, it does sound like you got here at the wrong time. I moved here from Boston in 1994 and the job market was wide open. The job I moved here for turned out to be mind-crushingly boring (I read Gone With the Wind at work the first month I was here), but I just looked around and found a better job. I had 10 years of Admin experience myself at that time, and it never took more than a few weeks to find something new. Those were the days...right up through the early 2000s.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,434,238 times
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, I remember even reading Forbes' yearly "The Top 10 Cities For Employment" article and Atlanta was either number 2 or 3 back then. And Atlanta got hit extremely hard in the crash. I went from seeing my little neighborhood in Decatur thrive with people, to 3/4's of my neighbors mysteriously disappearing with "For Sale" signs up on their houses offering it up for pennies on the dollar. I feel for them. Some of my neighbors owned their homes for decades.

Now Forbes is touting Minneapolis. I went to their craigslist want ads, and I have to say, I don't think I've seen so many jobs offered in one place on the same day before. WOW...Maybe the Midwest is calling me...
Minneapolis' economy is hot. It and much of the rest of the Midwest is benefiting off an increase in manufacturing in the U.S. as we struggle to come out of the recession. I hate that a lot of posters on here have expressed satisfaction that Atlanta doesn't have much manufacturing. They associate manufacturing entirely with images of places like Flint, Mich. with it's decaying old abandoned factories and houses. They also think all manufacturing jobs are low skilled dirty jobs. Georgia really needs to attract and or create more manufacturing jobs because these ideas are wrong. The U.S. faced problems in manufacturing before because we failed to do what was needed to compete. Much of that has been corrected and now we also have foreign companies from Japan, Germany, Korea and elsewhere building lots of facilities here. Also there are lots and lots of engineering, computer science and managerial jobs in addition to high skilled trades jobs created by manufacturing which is very automated and high tech now a days. Manufacturing as a whole pays higher than the service and retail jobs that make up the bulk of our economy now.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:20 PM

101 posts, read 274,346 times
Yeah the job market really sucks here. I've been having the same problem and many others too.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,843,080 times
If you work in the tech industry Atlanta has never been hotter. I could always find a job in Atlanta. The only reason I moved to Seattle was to do something different

Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
It took me nearly two years to land a permanent job in Georgia. I have a IT and help desk background but no degree. Just experience. I had to take on gigs and work a temp job for 10 months. I must have put in hundreds of applications, networked with dozens of people, and spoke with most of the staffing companies out here. It sucked. I've never had an issue finding a job in my life.

I did have to take a pay cut, which I can deal with. I had to use savings and 401k. I love it out here, I'm still glad that I moved.

Good luck on the search, don't give up. The jobs are out here, its just getting the callback!

The issue is you're working helpdesk which has been majorly outsourced. It also is a lower level IT job. In my lower level ITY days I also had issues finding jobs even at a time when Atlanta was suppose to be hot. It wasn't until I got kid level or senior level where jobs rolled in. I'm in Seattle now. It's even more competitive than Atlanta and there are tons of senior guys who are levela above anyone top level guy in Atlanta. So if you think Atlanta beat your ass, don't come to Sillicon valley or Seattle.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Wow I just read the last 2 pages. If you're in IT and can't find a job in Atlanta, its because yours not looking. I have 1e years of OT experience, with no degree. I've made as much as 80k in ATL, and making closer to 100k in Seattle(100k in Seattle isn't as big of a deal). But ky secrets is that I do Java, Oracle, and Unix. Guys doing Siebel and SAP get hired in Atlanta. If you think getting CCNAs and MCSe with no industry experienceus going to get you a job anywhere you're mistaken. You arent marketable. Employers know they can get some guy name rajubabusma subrahimaniannadu to do the damn job for $5 an hour. You need to do stuff that take skills, and stuff not everyone knows how to do nor wants to do. Java development easily are $50-$60 an hour contracts. Production Support all demand high salaries. Help. Edison always is trying to fill $45 an hour jobs. What city do you guys live in. Just because your skill level doesn't allow you to compete in a market that calls for senior people, doesn't mean no jobs are here.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,261 times
I am not sure if my case is relevant to the post. I just recently posted a dishwasher job for a restaurant with minimum wage. Guess how many responses i got, it was well over 150 responses some even with college degree. I did not believe my eyes. I never thought the job market this bad in Atlanta. I did not believe there would be more than 10 people responses but guess not.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM

110 posts, read 265,961 times
Atlanta is not really a high tech economy at all like Austin or Silicon Valley or Boston or even Denver. It is mostly a lower wage economy that was based on housing and construction before the housing bubble burst. Now I'm not sure what it's based on. There are some Fortune 500 companies here but I don't know how much hiring they do.

The other thing is, the job centers are really sprawled out here. The jobs are in the Perimeter, or they're in Alpharetta or they're downtown or they're in Gwinnett. That's why you have all the issues with traffic and why transit wouldn't work here. The jobs are everywhere. In Chicago, the jobs are for the most part downtown. In DC, they're downtown or in Tysons Corner or along the subway lines.

I never would have moved here without a job in my field first. Job market is much healthier in other parts of the country, although cost of living is lower here. Local politicians don't seem to have a clue how to pump up the job market so I doubt things will change very soon.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,916,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Wow I just read the last 2 pages. If you're in IT and can't find a job in Atlanta, its because yours not looking.
Careful. Most people in IT are either not senior people or are senior but don't have the relatively juicy skillsets you cite. For them, the job market is precisely as they say it is ... very very tight. Java by itself doesn't mean squat anyway ... in many cases you need to know the specific frameworks in use at a given shop to be useful. UNIX? By itself, expected as a minimum if you're looking to play sysadmin in any serious shop, but simply knowing how to write simple shell scripts and basic commands again isn't worth that much.

Methinks you vastly understate the skillsets required in order to bounce around the Atlanta job market at will. Be thankful that you've apparently accumulated the experience to not care, and that you've apparently not run into the age discrimination that seems to infect a number of companies when hiring IT employees. You aren't typical in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or