U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:13 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times

Advertisements

I contacted one company in Atlanta via email and four weeks later they flew me down from NY for an interview with their senior management department.

Job market in Atlanta seems good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 AM

4,318 posts, read 4,832,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Careful. Most people in IT are either not senior people or are senior but don't have the relatively juicy skillsets you cite. For them, the job market is precisely as they say it is ... very very tight. Java by itself doesn't mean squat anyway ... in many cases you need to know the specific frameworks in use at a given shop to be useful. UNIX? By itself, expected as a minimum if you're looking to play sysadmin in any serious shop, but simply knowing how to write simple shell scripts and basic commands again isn't worth that much.

Methinks you vastly understate the skillsets required in order to bounce around the Atlanta job market at will. Be thankful that you've apparently accumulated the experience to not care, and that you've apparently not run into the age discrimination that seems to infect a number of companies when hiring IT employees. You aren't typical in my experience.

I'm a black IT professional with NO, I repeated NO degree. If you have Unix or ORacle together, you should be getting something. If you have Oracle and Java together, there is no reason you shouldn't be at least getting interviews. A lot of it is how your resume looks. I mean, it wasn't until 2008, when I was unemployed for a year, a recruiter told me how bad my resume was. I had been writing "standard resumes" for years. I mean I was keeping my resume on one page. One recruiter told me that as a tech, I need to include everything. Leave no skill unlisted. And I swear, the minute I went to a 8 or 9 page resume from a 2 page resume, I started at least getting calls.

IT is a tricky industry, it's VERY informal. Half of the time the guy hiring you isn't all that bearucratic at all. He really just want to know if you can do the job, and if you seem competent enough to do it. And at a certain level, you simply can't fake interview anymore. So most good managers/directors pretty much know the guy who crammed for an interview, over the guy whose been around the track a few times. Before I move out here to Seattle, a few guys who I worked with said they don't understand how people are saying it's a bad economy. Almost no one I know have issues finding jobs in Atlanta. I just don't think people have what employer want.

My core experience is enterprise systems, and N-tier architectures. Big emphasis on middleware. So basically I need to know a little bit of everything. And I personally think being a non development professional these days is dead. You need to know SOMETHING about development. You just can't make it on Unix or Windows admin alone. Especially these days with much administration relying on 3rd party tools. Like seriously does anyone even use Microsoft clustering, or do they all use veritas? Don't Linux have some stock tool for virtualization? But everyone use VMWARE. the list goes on.

PS Ageism doesn't affect me, I'm only 32.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
PS Ageism doesn't affect me, I'm only 32.
I'm a 49-year-old software developer. Just wait.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 8,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I contacted one company in Atlanta via email and four weeks later they flew me down from NY for an interview with their senior management department.

Job market in Atlanta seems good to me.
No offense, but you don't sound like you're an Administrative Assistant like me, or a Medical Assistant like my friend, or anything below upper management for them to fly you anywhere. We're talking about the everyday average Joe here in Atlanta trying to find a job. It really is a lesson in futility. Congratulations on your success. Now you think you can help the millions of other unemployed or underemployed in Atlanta have the same fate??

Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 AM

101 posts, read 274,162 times
It's been three years that I've been here and I hadn't been able to get anything else besides the pt job I have now. It's a dead end job and it's time to upgrade. I feel that I'll be moving soon because of a potential job in Texas. Three years is just too long to be without. The market here really needs a boost and one soon.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:56 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,935,637 times
I've been thinking about a move back to be closer to my parents...

I'm one of those rare natives too.

No luck yet. (But I get phone interviews, and people like me...but that's as far as it goes so far)

Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredoftheATL View Post
No offense, but you don't sound like you're an Administrative Assistant like me, or a Medical Assistant like my friend, or anything below upper management for them to fly you anywhere. We're talking about the everyday average Joe here in Atlanta trying to find a job. It really is a lesson in futility. Congratulations on your success. Now you think you can help the millions of other unemployed or underemployed in Atlanta have the same fate??
I sense that you feel entitled to some sort of special treatment from successful people like me, economically? Do you think that I am some arrogant, greedy upper management worker who's got no feelings toward those less fortunate? How about you get your facts straight and realize that nothing in life is easy. I was born in a ghetto and had to get myself out. The only way I did that was through hard work, determination, and having a burning desire to do better for myself and not have anyone owe me anything. If you think you're entitled to something from people who've put in the all-nighters, the super long hours, and what it takes to be successful just because you can't find a job yourself, you're incorrect. If I can do it, then you can do it too. Don't whine and look for an easy way out. I never once said anything discriminatory to people who are less fortunate because I've been in their shoes before. You need to make your own breaks, especially these days.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,365 times
Quote:
I sense that you feel entitled to some sort of special treatment from successful people like me, economically?
Ok, you got offended over nothing man. At no point did she indicate she wanted you to give her $h*t and was just pointing out your situation is unique, so please get of your high horse.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinglove View Post
My SIL has a computer science degree and over 15 years experience in IT. She was laid off over 6 months ago and has had a very hard time finding something else. I had another friend that was laid off and unemployed for almost a year. He finally found something with the state and also has a comp sci degree.
I find this kind of hard to believe.

I have a CS degree and 8 years experience in IT/software development.

I posted my resume on Dice and Careerbuilder on June 18, by June 24 I had to take it down as the number of calls I was getting was simply too much to keep up with. I've had 5 interviews so far and have progressed to the final stage with 2 of the companies. I'm quite certain it isn't going to take me anywhere near 6 months to find a position.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,539 times
Quote:
I sense that you feel entitled to some sort of special treatment from successful people like me, economically? Do you think that I am some arrogant, greedy upper management worker who's got no feelings toward those less fortunate? How about you get your facts straight and realize that nothing in life is easy. I was born in a ghetto and had to get myself out. The only way I did that was through hard work, determination, and having a burning desire to do better for myself and not have anyone owe me anything. If you think you're entitled to something from people who've put in the all-nighters, the super long hours, and what it takes to be successful just because you can't find a job yourself, you're incorrect. If I can do it, then you can do it too. Don't whine and look for an easy way out. I never once said anything discriminatory to people who are less fortunate because I've been in their shoes before. You need to make your own breaks, especially these days.
WHOA NELLY! All of that? Really? Honestly, I had no idea if you were financially successful or not, or even if you really were upper level management. I just made an educated guess based on you being flown almost 900 miles for an interview. Unless you live in a bubble, you have to know that those circumstances are extremely rare. But thanks for confirming. Did you really just give me the too oft regurgitated, bs conservative Republican "I'm not going to apologize for my success but I still care about the little people" speech? Totally unnecessary.

When I asked if you could help the millions of under and unemployed in Atlanta have the same fate, I was just referring to getting an interview. Don't whine or look for an easy way out? I moved over 800 miles away from family and friends to a place where I know no one just to find my success. And in case you weren't reading, I HAVE A JOB. I just need a better one and I am considering leaving Georgia to get it. You never once said anything discriminatory? Hmmm, your ENTIRE rant was discriminatory. I never once said I was from the ghetto, or that I grew up poor or even that I expected anyone to give me anything. You ASSUMED so because you (wrongly) thought I was asking you to feed all of Atlanta, LOL!! I could go on and on about all the ways you went wrong with this, but instead I'll just say this: for all of your success, you sure have a problem with reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or