Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,812 times

Advertisements

Landing a job - even interviews - seems incredibly difficult in Atlanta.

My husband and I want to relocate to Atlanta and have spent all of this year looking for career opportunities, applying for jobs and even reaching out to the local contacts we have there for their connections and insights. Still . . . nothing! I realize the economy has yet to truly recover and that Atlanta may have some unique or intensified issues, but is there a point at which we should surrender our hopes on a relocation, or are there other strategies we should try?

A relative mentioned using a local Atlanta address on any applications we fill out, but while that might work on the surface, it appears that it would be easy to detect the misrepresentation of information. After all, the career candidate claims he or she resides in Atlanta, yet currently works in another city and has absolutely no job history tied to Atlanta? Most applications now require that the applicant certify by signature or a special personal code that all information contained therein is accurate, so even tempting this tactic could render one exempt from consideration based on the misrepresentation of information alone.

My husband works in IT and has about 15 years of related experience. He currently works in healthcare IT, which is supposed to be a high-demand growth area, but he has the flexibility to assume other IT-related roles as well. Unfortunately, he does not yet have his college degree, but is working toward it as well as earning additional certifications.

I work in corporate communications and have an extensive, diverse background with 15 years of related experience. I have a master's degree and have a really great, interesting background to the point of winning national awards and visibility for organizations where I've worked. Still . .. nothing!

Any advice, as we know moving to Atlanta with relatively young children will be complex unto itself, but without any hopes of landing a job, is this all in vain?

Last edited by hautemomma; 06-18-2012 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: edited for typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Depends on your field. Many professional fields have picked up a lot including IT, Accounting etc. With his IT background he would probably do well but it certainly is difficult when you don't live here as you have found out. We eventually decided we had to move first.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM

4 posts, read 9,133 times
My SIL has a computer science degree and over 15 years experience in IT. She was laid off over 6 months ago and has had a very hard time finding something else. I had another friend that was laid off and unemployed for almost a year. He finally found something with the state and also has a comp sci degree. There are already a lot of unemployed and underemployed people in Atlanta, so you have some tough competition.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Landing a job - even interviews - seems incredibly difficult in Atlanta.

My husband and I want to relocate to Atlanta and have spent all of this year looking for career opportunities, applying for jobs and even reaching out to the local contacts we have there for their connections and insights. Still . . . nothing! I realize the economy has yet to truly recover and that Atlanta may have some unique or intensified issues, but is there a point at which we should surrender our hopes on a relocation, or are there other strategies we should try?

A relative mentioned using a local Atlanta address on any applications we fill out, but while that might work on the surface, it appears that it would be easy to detect the misrepresentation of information. After all, the career candidate claims he or she resides in Atlanta, yet currently works in another city and has absolutely no job history tied to Atlanta? Most applications now require that the applicant certify by signature or a special personal code that all information contained therein is accurate, so even tempting this tactic could render one exempt from consideration based on the misrepresentation of information alone.

My husband works in IT and has about 15 years of related experience. He currently works in healthcare IT, which is supposed to be a high-demand growth area, but he has the flexibility to assume other IT-related roles as well. Unfortunately, he does not yet have his college degree, but is working toward it as well as earning additional certifications.

I work in corporate communications and have an extensive, diverse background with 15 years of related experience. I have a master's degree and have a really great, interesting background to the point of winning national awards and visibility for organizations where I've worked. Still . .. nothing!

Any advice, as we know moving to Atlanta with relatively young children will be complex unto itself, but without any hopes of landing a job, is this all in vain?
The bottom line is that there are already plenty of workers in the Atlanta area that have the same qualifications. This is definitely an employers' market and most aren't going to hold out for someone that is in the process of trying to relocate. Look at it like this: If a hiring manager looks at your resume and wants to call you in for an interview this week or the next week, could you make it? What about rounds 2, 3, or even 4?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
Why do you want to move here?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
There's plenty of software developer/engineer jobs available, regular IT I'm not sure about.

I'd get an Atlanta phone number and/or p.o. box

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM

418 posts, read 906,554 times
It seems like a lot of people we know since we moved here, work for companies based elsewhere and are either working out of their home or travel a lot for their jobs. Depending on the field you are in finding a job here seems difficult.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

449 posts, read 1,175,937 times
True, private sector employment in Atl is pretty nil.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 AM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Not sure about IT, but I think the Atlanta area is saturated with corporate communications and marketing professionals. I know many (award-winning with advanced degrees) who are currently unemployed and are having a difficult time finding something.

Good luck, but it will be difficult getting an interview when there are many applicants already here who are just as qualified.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
There needs to be a immigration halt into the metro for like 2-6 months. I bet in that time frame if no more people are allowed to move in unless they are BRINGING jobs then we can possibly reach some equilibrium.

It's like as soon as we get 1 job 10 people are moving into the metro. We gotta balance things out or keep people from coming for a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta