U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM

152 posts, read 378,507 times

Advertisements

What's the best way to get from the northeast suburbs to the Atlanta airport without your own car? I thought about taxis, but those can get very costly. Do you know of any other options that are more reasonable. I'm open to hear about options where it's a short drive to the service which takes me to the airport.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,989,015 times
Get a friend to drop you off at a marta rail station, and ride right into the airport.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Thanks, I looked at the Marta map online. If I'm coming from Johns Creek, what is the best stop, North Springs or Doraville? I haven't lived in Atlanta for 6 years and now I'm moving back (Johns Creek wasn't even a city then).
I'm not sure if would need to take 400 or not. When I used to live there 400 used to be a toll road but I think the road should have been paid by now..is it still a toll road? If so I would probably use the Doraville station.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:33 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,554,788 times
Doraville is the best MARTA station option.

Yes, GA 400 is still a toll road but only inside the Perimeter - 50 cents

Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
If you need a taxi the cheapest way to do it is use MARTA to Doraville or Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and get a cab there. Still pricey, but far cheaper than taking it all the way from the airport.

However, I strongly recommend getting the number of a few local cab companies before you leave.

One complaint I have about MARTA is convenient information, like the number for a taxi, is not always clearly posted at their stations. The outlying stations are not always busy enough to have taxis stalking them.

-If- you pay for overnight parking... I would strongly recommend driving a few more miles and park at Sandy Springs. They charge $5/day instead of $8/day for overnight parking. There are two large decks and parking is plentiful! The caveat is it's harder to get to during rush hour (which is why they make it cheaper for long-term parking... fewer commuters use it).

Old 06-18-2012, 07:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,805,997 times
I hate to change the subject, but you are moving to Johns Creek without a car? Do you know much about the area?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 PM

Ok so doraville station and worst case if I can't get dropped off then i can still get a cab for part of the way which is cheaper than full way from the airport.

I know a fair amount about johns creek. I lived there as a teenager. I do have a car, but I don't want to park it at the airport every time I need to fly out, which is often, so I want to see what other options I have.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,921,648 times
Way up in Cherokee County right past Cobb b/t 75 and 575 we have an airport park and ride, $30. Might want to check one out in your area if there is one.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhere View Post
Ok so doraville station and worst case if I can't get dropped off then i can still get a cab for part of the way which is cheaper than full way from the airport.

I know a fair amount about johns creek. I lived there as a teenager. I do have a car, but I don't want to park it at the airport every time I need to fly out, which is often, so I want to see what other options I have.
I have this same problem. My job is 100% contract work and 100% travel, so I'm constantly flying off all the time for 1-5 weeks at a time. I look for every way possible to get to the airport without my car involved... I still end up spending a ton of money for parking! A MARTA/taxi combination can also be cheaper than my parking bill.

For whatever it is worth... if your worried about security of your car the Dunwoody MARTA parking deck is nice. 1/2 the time I'm picking up or dropping of my car I find a MARTA cop patrolling the deck.

I also like to use The Parking Spot offsite airport parking. It is a lit area and someone is there 24/7. It is gated entry and if someone comes in they immediately dispatch a mini-bus to pick them, so people can't just roam the large parking lot.

(I still wouldn't leave anything laying out in your car visible from the window of course)

Old 06-19-2012, 05:43 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Take a taxi to doraville, that way to matter what time or day you'll have direct access to the airport without changing trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or