U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM

75 posts, read 156,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KBH View Post
Perhaps i was unclear: My central thesis with school/ITP is that it is extremely unlikely to fine both a good house price AND good schools. My post was simply to state that the only good schools in APS (the ones listed) also ironically tend to be zoned to areas with extremely expensive real estate. Hence, the best option for some who wish to stay ITP, is the intradistrict lottery.
My mistake. Apologies, I misinterpreted your post. We are in agreement.

The request is a fantasy, but it's not unique to this board. I've spent some time reading the NYC board and the NOVA board as I was assessing job opportunities there, and you get the same dream-world questions. "I want a quaint Craftsman home, renovated with character, in a neighborhood that's undiscovered, with great schools, and my budget is $250K." Good luck with that -- Kansas City might be a better fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM

75 posts, read 156,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You have 29 post to my 600+.
Answer my question, if you are capable. What effect does 5.2M population versus 5.9M population have on the debate at hand?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM

54 posts, read 48,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Good schools are the #1 driving factor in real estate prices in intown neighborhoods. .
Absolutely! My husband and I just sat down and did the math: real estate/good school, private school or moving OTP. So I empathize with the OP!

Finding a good school/decent real estate is not for the faint at heart...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM

54 posts, read 48,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh0146 View Post
My mistake. Apologies, I misinterpreted your post. We are in agreement.

The request is a fantasy, but it's not unique to this board. I've spent some time reading the NYC board and the NOVA board as I was assessing job opportunities there, and you get the same dream-world questions. "I want a quaint Craftsman home, renovated with character, in a neighborhood that's undiscovered, with great schools, and my budget is $250K." Good luck with that -- Kansas City might be a better fit.

Ironically, I have lived in NoVA and my husband is from NYC--one will come out of their pocket to live in the city. Hence, people definitely have to adjust their expectations.

Last edited by 4KBH; 07-10-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,491,590 times
Quote:
Answer my question, if you are capable. What effect does 5.2M population versus 5.9M population have on the debate at hand?
If you can't understand how the difference of 700,000 people would affect housing then there is nothing I can do. Think hard about those numbers.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,085,539 times
Early on in this thread someone gave the OP a long list of schools to check out, some in areas that may work for the OP.

Quote:
Is anyone paying attention to the OP?

This person is looking for an in-town "hidden gem" neighborhood with good schools and a budget of $170K. You just recommended SPark, Lin, Morningside, and Fernbank Elementary districts. Really?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,950,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
If you can't understand how the difference of 700,000 people would affect housing then there is nothing I can do. Think hard about those numbers.
Since those 700,000 people would likely be residing outside of the city itself (in the Atlanta metro's case), I'm not sure the impact of those people on the City of Atlanta would be noticeable at all.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 PM

28,189 posts, read 24,782,755 times
Here's a good perspective from a realtor pointing out the importance of looking beyond test scores:

Quote:
I’m a Realtor. I know very little about classroom instruction or educational policy. I do, however, spend a substantial amount of time with home buyers, many of whom want to know about schools. Here’s what I tell them: Do Not Rely On Test Scores. Doing so is lazy, over-simplistic and misleading. Considering the recent Atlanta Public School cheating scandal, this should be fairly obvious. But it’s not. Especially when the city’s leading newspaper’s “Home Finder” has an education section that showcases school test scores from 2008, and statistics from the Georgia Department of Education from 2006.

Buying a home is a big deal. Don’t rely solely on test scores. If your child might one day go to school in a particular district, you need to look beyond what a state-wide exam tells you. Visit the school, talk to parents who send their children there, talk to teachers, get to know more about the PTA. Learn how the school relates to other schools that are located within close proximity with homes in a comparable price point. Bottom line, do whatever you need to understand the full picture.

Learn More About The School, Not The Test Scores | A is for Atlanta

Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM

100 posts, read 108,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Here's a good perspective from a realtor pointing out the importance of looking beyond test scores:
Great post!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,170,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree that test scores aren't the be-all, end-all for evaluating schools, but low scores are a good barometer to tell you that you're likely looking at a poor-performing school overall. Especially in light of the APS scandal, it's become obvious that high scores don't necessarily mean the school is performing well overall, but if you've got consistently low scores across all grades/subjects, that indicates a problem.

It could be the student population, bad teachers, lack of parental involvement, or a host of other issues, but whatever it is, it should be a cause for concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or