U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 05:57 AM

10 posts, read 14,339 times

Advertisements

Decisons, decisions. Alpharetta close to my family. The job offer is not that much more money in Alpharetta, but they will pay for the move. What's there to do there for a single 30 something female?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM

2,325 posts, read 3,549,200 times
If you want some feedback, you will need to give us some more information. Is the move about getting closer to family or is it about long term career objectives. Those are attributies you need to consider for yourself

Why are you in Tampa and your family in Georgia?
What do you love about Tampa that you don't want to give up.
What do you not have in Tampa that you hope to gain?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,092,093 times
I don't know why it is that Floridians are drawn to Alpharetta like it's some kind of magnet.
Alpharetta is really far away from anything remotely exciting unless your idea of exciting is taking the little ones to karate or soccer practice.

It's gotten really built up and congested (the drivers are clearly ex-florida) but it offers nothing for younger singles. Unlike Tampa where all ages are mixed in together, in atlanta most of the young single people are concentrated way down in or close to atlanta. You'll be a 30 minutes or more drive and several dollars in gas from those areas.

That said, if the thing that's most important to you is being close to your family and don't have any problems with the change of lifestyle, then go for it. You'll probably have a better quality of life up here albeit a rather mundane existence.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Thank you for your honest reply. I'm actually an east Alabamian who has been living in Tampa for the past three years. I'm not looking to party exactly, but I certainly don't want to feel like I'm out in the sticks with just families. Tampa - south Tampa - where I live, is very much a mix. The job here is a little more in line with my career goals, it's just not a sure fire bet that the company will be around long. I would like to be able to see my family more often - wish they didn't live in BFE Alabama. You pretty much summed up what I was thinking deep down - better quality of life, but most likely a mundate existence. Thanks again.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbjl View Post
out in the sticks with just families
That describes Alpharetta pretty well.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
You're asking people who have their own motivations and objectives to make a decision for you.

I wouldn't leave Florida because I wouldn't want to leave the beach and warm weather. If you will make roughly the same salary, you're living a better life in Tampa because your money won't go as far in Alpharetta.

But if you're sick of the heat, if Guavaween annoys instead of excites you, and if you don't like Tampa, then leave.

It's kind of hard for a bunch of strangers on a message board to make a decision like that for you. It's not like one area has clear advantages over the other, it's all personal taste.

However, I can tell you that Alphretta is not teh "sticks." It's as much the sticks from Atlanta as Clearwater is from Tampa. It's not like it's Bradenton.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,302,170 times
You're right, I was too harsh, Alpharetta is a nice town. It just is typical suburban setting with mostly mature families. Not a whole lot of singles that mingle.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Just post an ad in backpage and you'll be fine

Old 06-19-2012, 08:54 PM

I can assure you that I am not relying on a message board to make a decision, much less a life decision, for me. Just looking for some feed back. Guavaween does really does annoy the hell out of me, though. Three years and I've been to the beach three times. Work too much to stop and enjoy.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,530,024 times
Then you should move.

If you're not into the party spirit of the city and one of the main draws of the area isn't something you ever take advantage of, there may not be a good reason to be there. It would be like if you lived in Aspen and never went skiing. Or if you live in New Orleands, but hate Mardi Gras. I mean, you can live in Orlando and hate Disney (lots of people do!), but it sounds like Tampa doesn't have much above another city to really keep you there, and in that case, family should prevail.

You know, unles you really don't want to be close to your family, some people don't! But you said you did, so I'll take you at your word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or