U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,359,777 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I really want to see this exhibit. More than that, I want to take my five year old daughter. This would be a perfect one on one encounter for us. She has a proclivity for anatomy.

Have you been? If so, please tell me about your experience. Also, would you take a five year old, or a child of any age?

How long will it be here?

I'm a little excited here, sorry. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,572,031 times
i wouldn't take anyone to see that side show. the bodies that are displayed were bought from the chinese government— they are political prisoners and many of them were executed. the chinese government sold them to the man who runs the exhibit without the permission of the individuals' families or the individuals themselves. he then taxidermied the bodies and put them on display in the name of "science", when in reality the only people who need to have first hand experience with human bodies rather than models and illustrations are those going into the medical field. since the medical field had no use for his "bodies", he put them on display that i find eerily similar to what carnival sideshows were like in the 1800s.

it is enough to have these bodies on display in a private museum where one has to enter to see them— it is another thing entirely to have depictions of these desecrated human bodies on billboards across the atlanta area. just as you can't depict people having sex on billboards or have offensive language, i think he should not be able to paste up pictures of dead bodies across the metro area where children can see them— i think it is promoting a view wherein human life is not sacred and bodies are worthless.

i find it morally reprehensible what he's done and i don't want any involvement with it whatsoever.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:06 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,359,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i wouldn't take anyone to see that side show. the bodies that are displayed were bought from the chinese government— they are political prisoners and many of them were executed. the chinese government sold them to the man who runs the exhibit without the permission of the individuals' families or the individuals themselves. he then taxidermied the bodies and put them on display in the name of "science", when in reality the only people who need to have first hand experience with human bodies rather than models and illustrations are those going into the medical field. since the medical field had no use for his "bodies", he put them on display that i find eerily similar to what carnival sideshows were like in the 1800s.

it is enough to have these bodies on display in a private museum where one has to enter to see them— it is another thing entirely to have depictions of these desecrated human bodies on billboards across the atlanta area. just as you can't depict people having sex on billboards or have offensive language, i think he should not be able to paste up pictures of dead bodies across the metro area where children can see them— i think it is promoting a view wherein human life is not sacred and bodies are worthless.

i find it morally reprehensible what he's done and i don't want any involvement with it whatsoever.

I'm intrigued. Can you provide a source? This is reminiscent of one two books that I'm reading: Medical Apartheid.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,149,934 times
There are numerous articles available if you Google "Source of Bodies Exhibit", and many of them make the accusation that the bodies "may" be those of executed prisoners, but none seem to have any actual proof. It seems that there are two exhibits- "Body World", which appears to have consent forms from all of the donors of the bodies, and "Bodies", which is the one here currently, which admits to buying from China without any documentation.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM

594 posts, read 430,329 times
I went a while back. You basically walk through a dozen rooms, each room is dedicated to some reigon of the body. It's very interesting and loaded with information on each body part. Even a gift shop, which is weird, but cool if you are souvenir gatherer. You can't take any pics or anything, so they make you lock your phone in locker before entering.

Some of the displays have basketballs attached to them. That was funny to me. I can't really review this thing, just go and see for yourself. Take your little one too.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

14,507 posts, read 7,138,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

This is true. I was going to take my son but found out about how those bodies were executed prisoners, some political prisoners and decided I wouldn't support something like that with my money. I wouldn't take my kids to see it on principal.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM

594 posts, read 430,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This is true. I was going to take my son but found out about how those bodies were executed prisoners, some political prisoners and decided I wouldn't support something like that with my money. I wouldn't take my kids to see it on principal.
Is this well-documented or just speculation? in any case, i don't see how taking a kid to learn about the body is necessarily supporting anything but education, unless you believe in retroactive causation or something.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM

14,507 posts, read 7,138,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Is this well-documented or just speculation? in any case, i don't see how taking a kid to learn about the body is necessarily supporting anything but education, unless you believe in retroactive causation or something.
It is documented. If you look up "the bodies exhibit controversy" you will get a lot of information. Here is the first one that popped up for me.

I have no problem with education in anatomy with cadavers but I don't like that these people were imprisoned, some tortured, and then without permission from them or their families, their bodies were used to make profit. I see it as quadruple victimization and I did use it as an opportunity to teach my son about the history of "body snatchers" and political prisoners who are jailed for their beliefs, contrary to what people believe, we even still have political prisoners in this country from the CRM days.

I have seen cadavers IRL, got to touch the body parts and everything, but it was at a hospital in my hometown and was a part of a field trip of my anatomy class in 10th grade and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But at the hospital the bodies were of people who chose to donate their bodies to science, we were told most were former doctors themselves. There are other body exhibits that have willing donors like Body Worlds. They even have a section on their website where you can get information about donating your body and they have specimens that show the effect of smoking (blackened lungs) and liver diseases, something that I feel kids could really learn from.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
It is documented. If you look up "the bodies exhibit controversy" you will get a lot of information. Here is the first one that popped up for me.
And that article, like the others, speculates that the bodies are those of executed prisoners, but there seems to be no cold hard evidence that proves that they are. One of the people interviewed in the article says that he's "convinced" that they're the bodies of prisoners, but he can't back up his statement with any evidence. If there was definitive evidence, I'd think the government or some other group would be raising hell over it.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,106,123 times
Another suggestion to skip it.

Go take your daughter somewhere other than some circus side show where she'll learn something or get some fresh air or experience the outdoors. Your daughter will probably be totally freaked out by it. 5 years old???? Uh hellllo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta