Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,574 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am looking for detailed info on the rural areas surrounding Carrollton. Am looking to relocate from Macon to live closer to the in-laws who live in Carrollton (Shady Grove Area). I am wanting to find a rural town w/ good schools & I have researched the areas til I can't reaserch anymore & want local opinions. I had my selection narrowed down to Mt Zion & found out today that apparently there is an ongoing boom in the Hispanics moving there which is effecting their school's test scores, etc due to the communication gap. Am looking for a nice town where there is an actual sense of "community", good schools, Little League, not alot of booming development, country atmosphere, & still be within a short driving time to drop the kids off at their grandparents regularly. I am looking at the following areas:
Bremen - too booming
Roopville
Mt Zion
Temple
Whitesburg
Fairplay
Sand Hill

If anyone could give their politically incorrect 2 cents about these areas or even suggest another town within the area, I would greatly appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 19,703 times
I would not move to Temple as I personally found it depressing. Plus there are entire neighborhoods there that have matching mailbox hangings that say things like "The Smith's" and "The Duggart's," which is punctuationally WRONG. It doesn't say much about the education out in that area if entire neighborhoods full of people all gleefully go along with having matching signs that are punctuated wrong.

Mt. Zion might be okay. But I loved Bremen (and I think it's hilarious that you say it's "too booming") but each to his own. I don't know much about the communities south of Carrollton.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,351 times
I am in Carrollton pretty frequently. I have family there. Carrollton has grown in the last few years and still growing. Whitesburgh as Roopville from what I remember is still really rual, but not too far from Carrollton. There is also another town west of Carrollton name Bowdon. I have family there too. It is really rual if that is what you are looking for. It is a one grocery store,one fast food resturant, and everybody knows your name type of town. Development has not made its presence too much there yet.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 157,329 times
I used to work in that area. Carrollton is actually a very nice area. Roopville just got a Super Wal MArt and an O Charley's and although there is growth it still has a very small town feel. I can't give you a lot of facts but I can tell you my observations. Carrollton and that whole surrounding area is very conservative and right leaning. I am not either one of those and expected to have issues when I worked out there but I was wrong. People are very nice and I met some of the kindest sweetest people. I ever met. People stick to their values and morals but they treat folks kindly.

There's not a lot of variety so far as restaurants, night life etc, especially outside of Carrollton. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,511 times
I live in Carrollton, just about 2 miles from Roopville. We have lived here almost 7 years after moving away from the craziness of Cobb County. We absolutely love it here. My son attended Roopville Elementary and my daughter is currently attending there. It is a wonderful rural community that is only about 12 miles from the center of Carrollton. The Super Wal-mart, O'Charley's , Ruby Tuesday are all actually in Carrollton but are only about a 10 minute drive from Roopville. That is what I love about living where I do. The community is close knit and it is wonderful to go into town and see friends which was something that almost never happened when we loved in Cobb even though both me and my husband had grown up in the same area where we lived. As far as shopping choices, there are not a lot of big name stores but there are some great boutiques coming along and Newnan and Douglasville both have lots of shopping and are only about 30 - 40 minutes away. If you are thinking of relocating to Carroll County I would highly recommend the Roopville Area.
Bremen is also great and has a great school system that people outside the city limits actually pay to get their kids into. There is even a huge waiting list to get in the school! Also if you job requires a commute that needs the highway, Bremen is definitely the place. My husband works in Atlanta and from Roopville there is no short way to get to to one and requires driving at 30 minutes to get to one. Bremen is only minutes from I-20.
Stay away from Temple, I can understand looking for a rural area but my mother-in-law lives in that area and while she and her husband have a great place, they have had to pretty much barricade their home with trees so they can go out on the back porch and not be assaulted by the trailers, cars on cement blocks, etc. I hate to sound so negative because there are nice people and homes out in the area but the nice areas are small and hard to find. My husband and I originally had planned to move to Temple to be near his mom and after looking for over a month for a place we gave up and found our place just outside of Roopville. I can't imagine ever living anywhere else.
Hope this helped.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 35,991 times
New in home childcare in your area. www.mandysearlylearningclub.com If you don't have the need pass it along to someone who does. Thank You for your support and have a blessed day.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 60,321 times
I highly recommend Roopville. It has a great elementary school. It is a small town and rural, yet it is only a ten minute drive to Wal-Mart, Kroger, O'Charleys, Moe's, Ruby Tuesday, Taco Bell, CiCi's Pizza, GameStop, Ross, TJMax, Home Depot.
Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 9,152 times
You might want to look in Heard County, not sure what there test scores rank but they have the lowest teacher to student ratio in Ga. It really rual and would be less than 30 min to your inlaws. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta