Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
You are joking right? I have walked around Compton at night, it is like a scene from a Quentin Tarantino movie, Atlanta has nothing to compare, there are worse areas in London than there are in Atlanta.
Yes, but, London is also a larger city, older city, and a much more compact/condensed city than Atlanta, too. It would be more comparible to New York or Chicago than Atlanta in terms of layout and condensed urban environments. Like the above mentioned American cities, you're more likely to find more packed-in "bad neighborhoods", whereas due to how Atlanta is just sprawled out in all directions, the bad areas are also sprawled out and can be found randomly here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 11:14 PM

75 posts, read 233,228 times
Quote:
You are joking right? I have walked around Compton at night, it is like a scene from a Quentin Tarantino movie, Atlanta has nothing to compare, there are worse areas in London than there are in Atlanta.
Are you serious?

In 2005/06, the Metropolitan Police report (http://www.met.police.uk/crimestatistics/2006/2005_06_yend.htm - broken link)shows that Metropolitan London clocked 134 murders with a population of around 14 million people. Metropolitan Atlanta, with a population of just 5 million had 372 murders. And London is more dangerous than Atlanta? Not sure the figures bear that out.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 AM

371 posts, read 1,551,267 times
Murder rate is not a good measure of violence in society, unless you strip out all the domestic murders, there are areas in London I would not go through at night, Atlanta has it's bad areas but the tensions are not high enough to avoid them as through fares in my opinion, plus they in no way compare to bad areas in L.A.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:04 PM
NDA

84 posts, read 431,710 times
Quote:
Murder rate is not a good measure of violence in society, unless you strip out all the domestic murders, there are areas in London I would not go through at night, Atlanta has it's bad areas but the tensions are not high enough to avoid them as through fares in my opinion, plus they in no way compare to bad areas in L.A.

But since the thread is about Atl. murders, why do you continue to put forth your myths and imaginings about L.A.

As for Compton and Quentin Tarantino, I think part of his first movie was actually filmed around Compton so of course there is resemblence. Compton however does not look like a war zone or a crime zone. Just like any city, it has its pockets or problems and that gets most attention.

If Compton was so bad you would have gotten killed when you walked through it at night. Anyway, enjoy Atl .and let us Californian's worry about places 3000 miles away from where you currently reside.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,551,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDA View Post
But since the thread is about Atl. murders, why do you continue to put forth your myths and imaginings about L.A.
Ermm, someone compared it to L.A. did you miss that? My myths? are you PUI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDA View Post
If Compton was so bad you would have gotten killed when you walked through it at night. Anyway, enjoy Atl .and let us Californian's worry about places 3000 miles away from where you currently reside.
Better killers than gang bangers have tried and failed. I know how not to be noticed and I am not worried about your home state, but as said, someone made a comparison.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM

826 posts, read 3,110,974 times
I am sorry for the poster who lost her son this year. Crime in the area is up period. I am sure replacing the narcotics unit , therefore having a period where NO narcotics officers were on the street helped this surge.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM

530 posts, read 1,159,221 times
Atlanta has long been renowned for crime. I had never encountered violent crime until I moved to the city. I thought if I lived in an area that looked nice, I would be fine. I first rented a very nice apartment in the Druid Hills area off Briarcliff Road, which I was thought was quite far from the crime ridden areas. There was a domestic murder in the complex the week I moved in. Months later a woman was gang raped outside in the parking lot where I lived. I then moved farther out to an apartment complex near the perimeter, and someone was stabbed in my stairwell, and then there was a drive by shooting. We dropped our lease and bought a home way out in Suwanee, where we finally felt safe. Unfortunately, you have to be careful in Atlanta.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM

180 posts, read 265,653 times
If when a crime occurs near you in Suwanee, where will you flee to next? A cave in the mountains? If you judge an area's safety by one or two incidents you aren't giving the area a fair or realistic assessment. The truth is, there isn't any location on Earth that is safe from crime, and crime certainly isn't limited to "closer to downtown"...if I were a criminal I would definitely go to a nicer area - like Druid Hills - to commit my crimes.

I think it's a sad testament to the direction of our society that some law-abiding and responsible citizens give up their territory to criminals, especially when the crime hasn't even happened to them! The key is to take precautions in your every day life to ensure your safety and the safety of your family. It's not like you need to wear an suit of armor...just simplicities like an alarm system or a dog, be observant and aware, lock your doors, etc.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM

985 posts, read 5,741,545 times
Default additional article from ajc

Keeping an eye on violent crime trends | ajc.com (broken link)

Murder numbers in 2006
Atlanta 110
Dekalb 85
Gwinnett 35
Clayton 34
Cobb 22
Fulton 17

Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM

72,798 posts, read 62,114,553 times
I'm not surprised that the murder rate has gone up. What is unusual though that most of the murders I have heard of were in spring, not summer, then again, I only watch the news minimally, for good reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta