U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,118 times

Advertisements

I believe that is a Buddhist temple of some kind. That place has been there as long as I can remember - we arrived in Atlanta in 1972 and lived right across the street in that large brick apartment complex and often played down the street in the park a couple of blocks to its east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM

284 posts, read 455,954 times
There are/were several SE Asian temples/wats in the area. I know of a Laotian one not far from there just on the other side of 675 near Conley. After the fall of Saigon there was an influx of Vietnamese, Laotian, and Cambodian refugees who lived near Forest Park/S ATL/Hapeville/Conley/ that seemed to continue well into the 80s.

Our church would hold huge "yard sales" where the "boat people" (as they were referred to back then) could get anything for free, from appliances to clothes to food. There was an orphanage across from my school and several families adopted children. While we wore uniforms, on the rare days we could wear regular clothes, we were strictly forbidden from wearing camouflage as it was considered traumatizing to the kids who had left a warzone or who had grown up dealing with the aftereffects of the Vietnam War.

We had several Vietnamese classmates who basically learned English by going to school...so as I became friends with several kids, I actually knew some Vietnamese as a child & would speak it at their houses & could read it. We would go to Vietnamese mass on occasion, too. I admit going to confession to the Vietnamese priest who spoke very little English, my 7 yr old logic being:he doesn't understand my speech so well and won't know what a "terrible" sinning Catholic kid I was (you know, for doing 2nd grade gangsta stuff like coveting my best friend's sticker collection or putting a bug on my sister) At the end he gave me a long list of penance prayers/deeds, way worse than what I was expecting! I said,
"I didn't even know you knew what I was saying" -- and he smiled and shrugged, then said "But God knows." ... CHECKMATE! I was mortified and then thought -- he must think I am saying really bad stuff to make me do all this penance lol.

anyway...

Eventually the Vietnamese community at our parish spawned its own church near the S ATL area close to Moreland/Conley Rd. I knew of a couple Thai temples further down 675 and near the S Dekalb area but I haven't visited them in forever.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:42 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,817,865 times
There's a buddist temple across the street from Forest Park High in Lake City. South Atlanta is really more diverse than people give credit for. One of the best vietnamesse restaurants are on Jonesboro rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or