U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 03:06 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Those are the oversensitive persons who want the media to portray blacks only as the Huxtables, even though we all know that isn't what's real for most black folks. As tawdry as Tyler Perry's films tend to be, many of his characters do have a basis in reality, and there's obviously an audience for his work.
I'll agree. While I'm not a fan of his "work", he does feature characters at every level of society from lawyers to working class folks (quite convincingly too IMHO).

Now for the negative part: Tyler Perry running around cooning in drag. He needs to stop that ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:26 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,336,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'll agree. While I'm not a fan of his "work", he does feature characters at every level of society from lawyers to working class folks (quite convincingly too IMHO).

Now for the negative part: Tyler Perry running around cooning in drag. He needs to stop that ish.
Madea has run "her" course, but hell, in the beginning that character was hilarious. You'd be surprised to know just how much like a real southern black grandma she was.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM

28,148 posts, read 24,687,439 times
Quote:
As tawdry as Tyler Perry's films tend to be, many of his characters do have a basis in reality, and there's obviously an audience for his work.
I know there is and am not critical of Perry for doing what he does. I'm just saying that negative presentations of blacks in the media would probably be reduced if the audience for these shows quit watching them.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:24 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,970,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know there is and am not critical of Perry for doing what he does. I'm just saying that negative presentations of blacks in the media would probably be reduced if the audience for these shows quit watching them.
Sad thing is that is not going to happen. People going after Vh1 is a waste of time, but these same people would never approach the viewers individually and tell them what to do, because we know how violently that sort of audience will respond.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,706 times
How do the sucessful black doctors and architects of Tyler Perry's "Why Did I Get Married " make black folk look bad? Geeze people.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:01 AM

188 posts, read 237,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Obviously the key to making money in the field of entertainment is to cater to the lowest common denominator. The studios love these shows they are cheap to produce. The trashy participant/whores who are on these shows now have a way to make money, because otherwise they would have to beg their baby daddys/sponsor for money. Bottomline is that those who actually waste the few brain cells they possess watching these shows, feed the beast. The beast will continue to thrive, unless it's starved.
Exactly. It's unfortunate but stupid sells. This is not a race-specific problem. Jerry Springer, most of MTV, and basically every reality TV show out there exploits the "entertainment value" of stupid, dysfunctional, outrageously obnoxious people. There is no drama in watching "Mr. Polite always pays his bills on-time, has a responsible budget, and takes his wife out for a pleasant, uneventful dinner."

Try this. Cancel cable and don't watch TV. I've been without cable for over 3 years and I don't miss it one bit.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:12 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Exactly. It's unfortunate but stupid sells. This is not a race-specific problem. Jerry Springer, most of MTV, and basically every reality TV show out there exploits the "entertainment value" of stupid, dysfunctional, outrageously obnoxious people. There is no drama in watching "Mr. Polite always pays his bills on-time, has a responsible budget, and takes his wife out for a pleasant, uneventful dinner."

Try this. Cancel cable and don't watch TV. I've been without cable for over 3 years and I don't miss it one bit.
The difference is though is that for the White community, those buffoons are seen in American society as being on the fringe and not a part of the mainstream culture. The opposite is true perception-wise for the Black community where those buffoons are seen as being the mainstream and that normal everyday people are supposedly the fringe. So the problem is that the media, for profit, exploits this in their programming to the point people actually believe the crazy behavior of these people is actually normal.

Do you understand the problem with that?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 PM

967 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Madea has run "her" course, but hell, in the beginning that character was hilarious. You'd be surprised to know just how much like a real southern black grandma she was.

She sure is (a bit exaggerated for entertainment purposes), but my maternal grandma from Oakland (and still reps The Town to the fullest in her advanced age) was born and raised in Alabama and she packed a pistol, swears like a sailor and used to love her some brown liquor. I think I got my love of firearms from her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
FINKMAG ISSUE7 MAURICE GARLAND on Vimeo

I think Killer Mike sums things up quite well in this video. Skip to 11:30 and he talks about Atlanta culture vs. Atlanta popular culture, and how Atlanta has been viewed has changed over the past couple of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

As far as Atlanta, it seems to have made the choice between becoming a center of black intellectualism or black Hollywood in the 90's. With all the HBCU's in the city it's kind of a shame that that's the case. How many nationally influential black author or politician to come out of Atlanta in the last 2 decades? Now compare that to how many rappers have come from Atlanta during that time.
Yeah, this and THIS. There was a time when Atlanta was viewed as a beacon of black achievement, but sometime in the 1990's, it seemed the tide turned and now two decades later, the level of ratchetness has increased exponentially. Too many people who didn't have the skills or education to hold down a decent job began coming down in droves at the same damn time as the black professionals who were moving in droves to ATL in the 1990's and 2000's.

Unfortunately to this day, too many people still look at reality shows or listen to rappers and think that they too can live like Tiny and Toya, become the next TI, NeNe Leakes, or even Frankie and Neffie or hope to become the next featured dancer at Magic City or Onyx in hopes of snagging a "baller" or a rapper. Add some charlatan money-grubbing false-prophet megachurch pastors who preach messages of avarice and superstition, appealing to the gullible and desperate who thought that praying to Eddie Long or Creflo Dollar would get them a new house or car. Too many folks moved to Atlanta expecting a job to fall into their lap and trying to put on a front for other people by living on credit cards and refinanced homes. Was this the only city where this happened? Absolutely not, but it affected Atlanta quite a bit. The culture of celebrity-worship is an issue in America in general nowadays and in a city like Atlanta where there is a segment of the entertainment industry, it can definitely have an affect on the overall culture

Add the low cost of living, the developer-friendly laws and policies and you had tons of people buying houses to show off to their friends back up north. Now those houses are barely worth the dirt they sit on, and many have been foreclosed on due to the banks giving money away like it was water to people who could barely pay rental furniture let alone a house and now many of those neighborhoods that were once the epitome of black-middle class America have turned into half-abandoned foreclosure-ridden, section-8 crapholes. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta has massive riots in the near-future. Lack of jobs, hot weather, and lots of hot-headed folks who moved down south from more volatile parts of the country have made it a pretty tense place.

Those government and education jobs that propped up much of the black-middle class growth in the area are long gone as massive budget cuts have taken an affect on Georgia as a whole. The white suburbanites and out in the country have been waiting for this day and enjoying that black folks in Atlanta have been taken down a notch and got a bit too uppity for their tastes.

I like Atlanta, and would have considered relocating there years ago, but in a way, I'm glad I didn't. I still have pleasant memories of visiting my Aunt Bunny's house off Candler Road in South DeKalb back in the day, and I still have a great time whenever I'm in town, but it's quite obvious that something was lost in the shuffle to become a bigger city and the so-called "Black Hollywood" image was a double-edged sword. A lot of the things that made Atlanta special in the past are long-gone. The reality shows don't help at all.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 06-27-2012 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post

Those government and education jobs that propped up much of the black-middle class growth in the area are long gone as massive budget cuts have taken an affect on Georgia as a whole. The white suburbanites and out in the country have been waiting for this day and enjoying that black folks in Atlanta have been taken down a notch and got a bit too uppity for their tastes.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,970,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
She sure is (a bit exaggerated for entertainment purposes), but my maternal grandma from Oakland (and still reps The Town to the fullest in her advanced age) was born and raised in Alabama and she packed a pistol, swears like a sailor and used to love her some brown liquor. I think I got my love of firearms from her.

Yeah, this and THIS. There was a time when Atlanta was viewed as a beacon of black achievement, but sometime in the 1990's, it seemed the tide turned and now two decades later, the level of ratchetness has increased exponentially. Too many people who didn't have the skills or education to hold down a decent job began coming down in droves at the same damn time as the black professionals who were moving in droves to ATL in the 1990's and 2000's.

Unfortunately to this day, too many people still look at reality shows or listen to rappers and think that they too can live like Tiny and Toya, become the next TI, NeNe Leakes, or even Frankie and Neffie or hope to become the next featured dancer at Magic City or Onyx in hopes of snagging a "baller" or a rapper. Add some charlatan money-grubbing false-prophet megachurch pastors who preach messages of avarice and superstition, appealing to the gullible and desperate who thought that praying to Eddie Long or Creflo Dollar would get them a new house or car. Too many folks moved to Atlanta expecting a job to fall into their lap and trying to put on a front for other people by living on credit cards and refinanced homes. Was this the only city where this happened? Absolutely not, but it affected Atlanta quite a bit. The culture of celebrity-worship is an issue in America in general nowadays and in a city like Atlanta where there is a segment of the entertainment industry, it can definitely have an affect on the overall culture

Add the low cost of living, the developer-friendly laws and policies and you had tons of people buying houses to show off to their friends back up north. Now those houses are barely worth the dirt they sit on, and many have been foreclosed on due to the banks giving money away like it was water to people who could barely pay rental furniture let alone a house and now many of those neighborhoods that were once the epitome of black-middle class America have turned into half-abandoned foreclosure-ridden, section-8 crapholes. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta has massive riots in the near-future. Lack of jobs, hot weather, and lots of hot-headed folks who moved down south from more volatile parts of the country have made it a pretty tense place.

I like Atlanta, and would have considered relocating there years ago, but in a way, I'm glad I didn't. I still have pleasant memories of visiting my Aunt Bunny's house off Candler Road in South DeKalb back in the day, and I still have a great time whenever I'm in town, but it's quite obvious that something was lost in the shuffle to become a bigger city and the so-called "Black Hollywood" image was a double-edged sword. A lot of the things that made Atlanta special in the past are long-gone. The reality shows don't help at all.
Um dude....its like you and I are clones when it comes to this topic. The sad thing is the few people where who keep trying to deny that this is how & what Atlanta IS. You remind me a lot of that AcidSnake kid who used to post here(is that you man?) I remember meeting Atlanta females in High School back in Duval and they were soo cool, so mellow, so normal reminded me of my mom. I remember listening to Outkast, Goodie Mob, TLC thinking man, the black people in Atlanta are so chill and normal. Then I moved here, NOT to be around other black people, but because my dad was always saying for me and my sibs to go somewhere else and plant our own seeds. I knew about all the current rap guys, but I never imagined the influence they had. When I heard a radio DJ say on the radio for women to come out to a certain club because the NFLs young millionaires were in the building and that they could find their next baby daddy. I was shocked, I always laugh now when I hear these. "Come party here, because Celebrities are here" advertisements. Did all black people move here to Rap, Sing, Strip, Model & Act on Reality? I dont think so. Some of us are just normal around the way black people. Where is the party for us? Where is the fun for us lol? I dont know what Atlanta was like in the 90s. I have an idea, but I definitely know what that ATL life is all about now. I just refuse to live it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or