U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Box

381 posts, read 302,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyimetro View Post
um dude....its like you and i are clones when it comes to this topic. The sad thing is the few people where who keep trying to deny that this is how & what atlanta is. You remind me a lot of that acidsnake kid who used to post here(is that you man?) i remember meeting atlanta females in high school back in duval and they were soo cool, so mellow, so normal reminded me of my mom. I remember listening to outkast, goodie mob, tlc thinking man, the black people in atlanta are so chill and normal. Then i moved here, not to be around other black people, but because my dad was always saying for me and my sibs to go somewhere else and plant our own seeds. I knew about all the current rap guys, but i never imagined the influence they had. When i heard a radio dj say on the radio for women to come out to a certain club because the nfls young millionaires were in the building and that they could find their next baby daddy. I was shocked, i always laugh now when i hear these. "come party here, because celebrities are here" advertisements. Did all black people move here to rap, sing, strip, model & act on reality? I dont think so. Some of us are just normal around the way black people. Where is the party for us? Where is the fun for us lol? I dont know what atlanta was like in the 90s. I have an idea, but i definitely know what that atl life is all about now. I just refuse to live it.
lame! :d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 779,048 times
It's obvious who hangs around low class black people. Those types are in every city.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Box

381 posts, read 302,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
It's obvious who hangs around low class black people. Those types are in every city.
Why do they have to be low class black people, and just not low class people?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 PM

1,250 posts, read 779,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Good point. This thread was about black people so I followed suit.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM

967 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Because this thread was about reality shows in Atlanta and how black people are portrayed in them. Stop being so sensitive.

As a black woman who still has family in the Atlanta area, visits on a frequent basis due to business and personal dealings, I agree with the article by Kelly Smith Beaty that the OP posted and how those shows really help perpetuate a lot of misconceptions about the Atlanta area and blacks there in general.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 AM

14,564 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Because this thread was about reality shows in Atlanta and how black people are portrayed in them. Stop being so sensitive.

As a black woman who still has family in the Atlanta area, visits on a frequent basis due to business and personal dealings, I agree with the article by Kelly Smith Beaty that the OP posted and how those shows really help perpetuate a lot of misconceptions about the Atlanta area and blacks there in general.
They would go away if the audience they are pitched to simply quit watching them.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM

967 posts, read 941,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They would go away if the audience they are pitched to simply quit watching them.
Tell me something I don't know. What revelation do you plan to tell me next, wheels are round?

These reality shows are a symptom of something that is much bigger. People's materialistic desires, celebrity worship, love of drama, the love of mainstream America watching black folks cooning, shucking and jiving for entertainment purposes, the dumbing down of American society in general, the powers that be who manipulate and control the media and entertainment industry overall to keep people's minds numb and ignorant, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM

188 posts, read 133,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The difference is though is that for the White community, those buffoons are seen in American society as being on the fringe and not a part of the mainstream culture. The opposite is true perception-wise for the Black community where those buffoons are seen as being the mainstream and that normal everyday people are supposedly the fringe. So the problem is that the media, for profit, exploits this in their programming to the point people actually believe the crazy behavior of these people is actually normal.

Do you understand the problem with that?
I can see what you mean. This is a stereotyping-problem which ultimately stems from ignorance. Some people may think every woman in the Middle East wears a burqa and will be executed by her own family in an "honor killing" if they are raped..... when this represents an extreme that is far, far, far from reality. But ignorant people will pick up on these extremes and think they are the norm.

Again, the best thing to do is turn off the TV and go out and interact with Black people, Muslim people, etc. and learn about them from your own experience.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM

14,564 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
... the love of mainstream America watching black folks cooning, shucking and jiving for entertainment purposes...
I was under the impression these shows were primarily targeting an African American audience. I know that has been the rap on Tyler Perry and that his audiences are mainly black.

...But Nash’s show may also be the tip of a tantalizing trend, as a small but growing number of cable channels develop TV series starring and targeting African-American women.

On female-centered WEtv, the African-American gospel duo “Mary Mary” show, self-titled and unscripted, recently debuted. The channel’s most successful series is “Braxton Family Values.”

The Braxton show, centered on the drama among R&B singer Toni Braxton’s mother and sisters, draws nearly 1 million viewers weekly, 88 percent of whom are black.

The channel plans to feature shows focused on black women each Thursday for 18 months, including “Hair Divas: Hollywood,” an unscripted show focused on Beyoncé and Mary J. Blige hairstylist Kim Kimble and a Braxton spinoff centered on youngest sister Tamar.

“Once (‘Braxton Family Values’) hit the air, it became clear people related to relationship between the sisters,” said WE tv president Kim Martin. “African-American women are an underserved audience. But we’re also programming to women across America who are putting family at the center of their lives.”

That’s a common response to questions about targeting black viewers, said R. Thomas Umstead, a reporter for the industry trade magazine Multichannel News, who wrote about the trend back in November.

He said the family-friendly channel GMC had quietly begun creating original gospel plays filmed for television; the same kinds of stage productions that made Tyler Perry a name in black households.

Is Reality TV Focusing Only on The Black Woman? | Beautiful Brown Girls | Daily African American Womens Online Magazine

Old 07-01-2012, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 724 times
Default Yes and No

The media focuses on the negative and outlandish in our society...rather the subjects be black, white or other. Unfortunately, many white people only experience black people and black culture through TV news or shows that focus on crimes and attention-seeking behavior. It is easy to have an impression about any group of people if you have no personal one-on-one experience with the members of that group. I'm not sure that this type of voyeurism is focused on blacks as the article suggests. I think this focus on crazy behavior for entertainment is just the things these days: Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton and Jersey Shore are all cut from the same cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta