Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,838,549 times

Advertisements

i don't mean to trivialize the point of this article, but i kind of feel like everyone in atlanta is being represented negatively.

what with shows like 'the real housewives of atlanta' being one of the first shows with the name of our city actually in it, i think people get the idea that atlanta is just a bunch of rich tools, bimbos and idiots. i hate that show— i watched the damned thing for five minutes and everybody in it was from los angeles, not an atlanta accent among any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,685,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i don't mean to trivialize the point of this article, but i kind of feel like everyone in atlanta is being represented negatively.

what with shows like 'the real housewives of atlanta' being one of the first shows with the name of our city actually in it, i think people get the idea that atlanta is just a bunch of rich tools, bimbos and idiots. i hate that show— i watched the damned thing for five minutes and everybody in it was from los angeles, not an atlanta accent among any of them.
I remember when the show came on a couple of years ago I had no clue what it was/who was in it. I was at an art event and I brought up how I heard about it to some people I know and was wondering if they knew who was going to be on it and they laughed and my friend who is black pulled up an article on her blackberry and laughed when reading the names out nobody had heard of any of them. She said I guess none of the black elites or white elites would even go on it. I really thought it was going to be about true Atlanta women who went to art galleries, charity events, the museum, the symphony, members of the ATL clubs, had children at the elite private schools, political fundraisers, etc.

They went out and found the most unelite possible for the first season. Some of the ladies didn't even own their houses they said on the news(I am kind of freightened by the fact I saw that on the news!).

I don't follow the show but at least they got a legitimate lawyer and Kandi Burruss(I have met her on multiple occasions and she is so polite and friendly. She is extremely down to earth and classy.) now.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,276,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

Nobody in that show is from Los Angeles. One cast member is a native Atlantan, two are from Athens, and another cast member is from Alabama, I believe.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,894,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Nobody in that show is from Los Angeles. One cast member is a native Atlantan, two are from Athens, and another cast member is from Alabama, I believe.
Sheree is from cleveland, Ne Ne and Phaedra from Athens, Kim is from Connecticut, Khandi is from Atlanta Cynthia Bailey has been in NYC since.she was 18.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Sheree is from cleveland, Ne Ne and Phaedra from Athens, Kim is from Connecticut, Khandi is from Atlanta Cynthia Bailey has been in NYC since.she was 18.
Isn't Cynthia originally from Alabama, though? I thought Kim was originally from there, too.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,538,538 times
You all are going on about RHOA, but that's not what triggered this bougie article attack. This rant is about Love & Hip Hop Atlanta that caused this angry rant. The problem is the personalities on these show do exist. It seems now that some black people are mad & want to conceal it. Its only going to get worse. The other day I was on twitter reading random tweets from various women from diferrent cities & sadly this new show is the topic & a great many not only want to be these women or like this women, but the show makes them desire to be in Atlanta. Even all our relocate threads here are created by women. Open your eyes people...they are coming lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,610,130 times
Aren't the shows that portray blacks negatively (RHOA, Tyler Perry, etc.) primarily pitched to an African American audience? If that audience decided to quit watching them shows, they'd probably go away.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM

Some of Tyler Perry's stuff is pretty ridiculous, but it doesn't portray blacks in a negative light.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,610,130 times
I've only watched a little of Tyler Perry and it doesn't bother me personally. However, he has been criticized by some for using demeaning stereotypes of blacks.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've only watched a little of Tyler Perry and it doesn't bother me personally. However, he has been criticized by some for using demeaning stereotypes of blacks.
Those are the oversensitive persons who want the media to portray blacks only as the Huxtables, even though we all know that isn't what's real for most black folks. As tawdry as Tyler Perry's films tend to be, many of his characters do have a basis in reality, and there's obviously an audience for his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta