U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 PM

8,687 posts, read 11,901,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well first of all, "The ATL" is slang ghettospeak. You'll hear that mostly from the Rapper crowd or those who used to attend Freaknik. Don't confuse Hollywood movies about street gangsta life with glamour.

Atlanta has a lot of jobs. Atlanta overall has cheaper real estate prices than other larger cities (though it's catching up), and Atlanta is easier to travel in and out of (varied interstates and the airport). Aside from that, it's just a large city with lots of traffic, crime, and smog. No Hollywood. No Beverly Hills. No South Beach or Space Needle.

Sorry. So yes, it's overrated by *some*.

Get with the program, geek..."ATL" as a nickname for Atlanta totally went mainstream way before you made your post back in 2006.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I think Atlanta needs to focus on it's own history, charm and beauty when considering new developments (housing/restaurants) and stop trying to be like LA, MIA, NYC. It's kind of corny that alot of advertisements try to focus on that type of marketing strategy.
Yes!

History: Civil War, Civil Rights

Charm: Center of Southern Culture, Center of African-American Culture, The Urban Manifestation of Southerness

Beauty: Trees, Urban Forest

Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM

22 posts, read 70,982 times
I think it depends what you're looking for. I grew up in NY, lived in Southern California, spent the last 10 years in DC and will move to Atlanta in the next 8 to 10 months. As far as NY is concerned, no other city in the country compares. Southern Calfornia is only similar in it's sprawl. If you compare it to Atlanta the problem is almost everything in Atlanta revolves around the two places, Downtown or Buckhead. In ATL, all your luxury shopping is in Buckhead, great places to eat, same thing, nice hotels etc., etc., etc...

Luxury shopping in So Cal, you can go to Newport Beach, or South Coast Plaza or the Beverly Center. Furthermore, in Southern California, people who live in Anaheim, or Century City, or Brentwood can hang out at their own clubs and lots of times, work in their neighborhoods or close to home. SoCal metro population is about 23 million, compared to 5 million for Atlanta. So again, no real comparison.

WDC is similar to LA as far as shopping is concerned (Tysons Corner and Chevy Chase Plaze/Mazza Gallerie). DC however, includes Northern VA and Montgomery County, and if you add BMore to the fold, you're talking about more dining options and points of interest (Inner harbor).

The area I would compare Atlanta to is Phoenix, AZ (lived there during my undergrad years). The reason why many people are saying Atlanta is a hotspot right now is b/c it's the only real big city in the south. So while it may be all that to some, it's not really a relative term on comparative basis.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,189,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
I think it depends what you're looking for. I grew up in NY, lived in Southern California, spent the last 10 years in DC and will move to Atlanta in the next 8 to 10 months. As far as NY is concerned, no other city in the country compares. Southern Calfornia is only similar in it's sprawl. If you compare it to Atlanta the problem is almost everything in Atlanta revolves around the two places, Downtown or Buckhead. In ATL, all your luxury shopping is in Buckhead, great places to eat, same thing, nice hotels etc., etc., etc...
Wow... What a limited view of the Atlanta metro.

Yes, Buckhead does have some *excellent* restaurants (I like Chops and we also visited Fogo De Chao not that long ago), but we've found several nice places in the Vinings/Cumberland areas that do fairly well for themselves (Canoe, Marlow's Tavern, Old Vinings Inn, and even places like Garrison's or the Cheesecake Factory). And as far as I'm concerned, the ribs at the Old Mill Steakhouse by the Cumberland Mall have no equal in Atlanta or in any other city.

We just wandered up to Medieval Times in Lawrenceville a few weeks ago, and that was a blast. The food wasn't all that great, but it was fun to eat with our fingers, and there were lance splinters flying everywhere at times! That was fun!

I think if you look you can find areas of quality food in a number of places.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM

80 posts, read 365,624 times
Whether Atlanta is overrated is all about expectations. I am originally from the South and lived in Atlanta for many years. I really like the city, but Atlanta and the region have always had difficulty understanding/developing its own identity. Rather than being a unique place in and of itself, the Atlanta region often describes itself in relation to other cities---New York of the South or Los Angeles of the East, even though it is very different from those places in many ways. Sometimes Atlanta wants to be Southern, sometimes not. The suburbs don't want to be associated with the city and vise-versa. The region also is always trying to market itself with catchy phrases or descriptions to force an identity, but this approach is very shallow. All of these can set incorrect expectations that leave newcomers disappointed with the reality.

You can’t force an identity with marketing or just by building a giant attraction; it has to be organic and true to the nature of what makes a place unique. I never understand why the region does not nurture and create an identity based on its unique assets. The Sweet Auburn district should be really cleaned up and transformed back into a vibrant, culturally rich area that it can be. The Atlanta region should stop clear cutting trees, one of its best qualities. The weather is nice most of the year, but almost all development (even those described as "new urbanist") is car centric. The region should focus on becoming a great walking and/or biking area (there is the rare example of the potential, like the Silver Comet Trail and possible Beltline). The suburbs should be proud to be associated with the city of Atlanta and vise versa. Most of all, Atlanta should be proud of being a modern Southern city—not New York and not Los Angeles. If this were reality, I am sure very few would think Atlanta was overrated.

Last edited by whinton; 11-06-2007 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,073 times
I Am Looking Into Moving Down There I Am Trying To Fine A Good School And A Great Location For Me And My 2 Girls Can You Help Me With Location Thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinton View Post
Whether Atlanta is overrated is all about expectations. I am originally from the South and lived in Atlanta for many years. I really like the city, but Atlanta and the region have always had difficulty understanding/developing its own identity. Rather than being a unique place in and of itself, the Atlanta region often describes itself in relation to other cities---New York of the South or Los Angeles of the East, even though it is very different from those places in many ways. Sometimes Atlanta wants to be Southern, sometimes not. The suburbs don't want to be associated with the city and vise-versa. The region also is always trying to market itself with catchy phrases or descriptions to force an identity, but this approach is very shallow. All of these can set incorrect expectations that leave newcomers disappointed with the reality.

You canít force an identity with marketing or just by building a giant attraction; it has to be organic and true to the nature of what makes a place unique. I never understand why the region does not nurture and create an identity based on its unique assets. The Sweet Auburn district should be really cleaned up and transformed back into a vibrant, culturally rich area that it can be. The Atlanta region should stop clear cutting trees, one of its best qualities. The weather is nice most of the year, but almost all development (even those described as "new urbanist") is car centric. The region should focus on becoming a great walking and/or biking area (there is the rare example of the potential, like the Silver Comet Trail and possible Beltline). The suburbs should be proud to be associated with the city of Atlanta and vise versa. Most of all, Atlanta should be proud of being a modern Southern cityónot New York and not Los Angeles. If this were reality, I am sure very few would think Atlanta was overrated.

Right on, whinton.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,562,114 times
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in the idea that things aren't just going to drop in your lap, you have to go looking for them. That applies here in Atlanta. Read more than the AJC to find out what's going on. Read the alternative weeklies. Go off the beaten path. I think that's the problem with some of the people who say Atlanta is terrible--they haven't made the effort to explore the city fully.
Exactly. Many people I know here don't even try to find good destinations. They advertize venues and such on the radio (99x especially), but new-comers won't go. I'll even offer to take them to see the real "treats" of the city, but they'll decline. Instead of keeping their noses glued to AJC, they should pick up a Creative Loafing magazine (LOTS of things to do in there) or actually take up my offer or others' offers.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:07 AM

22 posts, read 70,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpedersen View Post
I Am Looking Into Moving Down There I Am Trying To Fine A Good School And A Great Location For Me And My 2 Girls Can You Help Me With Location Thanks

You should probably start your own thread and provide additional details (work location, commuting).

Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM

187 posts, read 645,670 times
You cannot allow other people's opinions of Atlanta prevent you from experiencing the city for yourself. It is a great place for some and others do not quite worry about it much. For the most part, my experience has been positive and I can appreciate the city at times. It just takes some visits to really get the feel of what the city is all about for the individual. Do not rely on others to do it for you or rappers and promoters either.

Quote:
Well first of all, "The ATL" is slang ghettospeak.
People tend to refer to cities as they deem necessary. It does not make it ghetto or even "ghettospeak" (especially considering that 'ghettospeak' is not even a term one would find in the dictionary). However, "The ATL" has become a branding and marketing achievement that many businesses and major entities have caught onto as a way to appeal to youth and young professionals. The acronym is in my opinion an appropriate abbreviation when discussing Atlanta, especially on a discussion board. So hey, please feel free to use it often and as often as possible.

Quote:
You'll hear that mostly from the Rapper crowd or those who used to attend Freaknik. Don't confuse Hollywood movies about street gangsta life with glamour.

This is not true as I have heard many well educated and elite in Atlanta use the acronym on many occasions. It is only short for the proper Atlanta. So many people use this and take advantage of it. I see some people have adjustment issues or the inability to release themselves from the past. My understanding of the Freaknik is that it was a thing of the past. Maybe it is time to let it go and perhaps move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta