Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 PM

79 posts, read 536,632 times

Advertisements

If your from atalnta don't get offended by this question. I have been hearing so much about the "ATL" .People that I know who went over there say its overrated. is this true. people talk about it like its up there with newyork or something. IT supposed to be very entertaining and all that.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
It is just a sprawly city, more sprawly than L.A. even. It competes with Washington-Baltimore. Yet, it has the lowest population in the South and very inland. The traffic is the worst in the nation for a city that size.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It is just a sprawly city, more sprawly than L.A. even. .
It isn't 'just a sprawly city' - theres much more to it. Atlanta is a great place and imo, is a little overrated, but I still really enjoy atlanta

Quote:
It competes with Washington-Baltimore..
In terms of what? i think the Baltimore/Washington Area Has a bit more to offer, but because the population is around 8-10 million, and DC is the Capitol, Atlanta is smaller however, so its hard to compete with Bal/Wash

Quote:
Yet, it has the lowest population in the South and very inland. .
How? Its one of the US's largest cities and just because its inland doen't make it bad

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Really depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I think it's overrated as a place to visit but not as a place to live. Of course if you want your city to 'compete' with the majors in terms of culture, mass transit and walkability, and actually want it to be a place to visit, then yes, it is overrated, except for cost of living. Quite the paradox.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:32 PM

110 posts, read 438,749 times
ATL is a great city for living. You can pretty much buy a nice house or condo for 350k and find a good job.
In other cities you can not buy a garage for 350k like NYC, SF or LA.
It is not overated and it is very sweet. Many haters will disagree with me.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline887 View Post
I have been hearing so much about the "ATL" .People that I know who went over there say its overrated. is this true. .
Well first of all, "The ATL" is slang ghettospeak. You'll hear that mostly from the Rapper crowd or those who used to attend Freaknik. Don't confuse Hollywood movies about street gangsta life with glamour.

Atlanta has a lot of jobs. Atlanta overall has cheaper real estate prices than other larger cities (though it's catching up), and Atlanta is easier to travel in and out of (varied interstates and the airport). Aside from that, it's just a large city with lots of traffic, crime, and smog. No Hollywood. No Beverly Hills. No South Beach or Space Needle.

Sorry. So yes, it's overrated by *some*.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiami View Post
ATL is a great city for living. You can pretty much buy a nice house or condo for 350k and find a good job.
In other cities you can not buy a garage for 350k like NYC, SF or LA.
It is not overated and it is very sweet. Many haters will disagree with me.
Haven't you said in previous posts that you don't live in Atlanta?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM

10 posts, read 28,847 times
Default totally

Yes, I believe Atlanta is totally overly rated. I've lived here for 5 years and thank god I'm finally leaving saturday. My opinion is that out of towners is what makes atlanta. They are the ones I see continuing to make this city grow. Employers know this as well. Everytime I've befriended a local I've tried to get them to show me what ATL is all about...they seemed to be just as lost as I am. I must say the city has alot of advantages. Great Jobs, Sites, Restaurants, and events that comes in and out of town. It's just the hassle of getting to them and enjoying it while you're there. Theres always a crowd that doesn't get along or a crowd that doesn't want you there (if you know what I mean). Oh and since majority of all the apartments sucks here, you're forced to buy. Traffic and public transportation sucks for it to be a huge metro. Other than the MLK memorial there is really nothing historic about the city. Everything is an expensive wanna be urban neighborhood which is on its way to being commercial.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 PM

207 posts, read 926,148 times
Actually, the origin of "ATL" comes from the airport code for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well first of all, "The ATL" is slang ghettospeak. You'll hear that mostly from the Rapper crowd or those who used to attend Freaknik. Don't confuse Hollywood movies about street gangsta life with glamour.

Atlanta has a lot of jobs. Atlanta overall has cheaper real estate prices than other larger cities (though it's catching up), and Atlanta is easier to travel in and out of (varied interstates and the airport). Aside from that, it's just a large city with lots of traffic, crime, and smog. No Hollywood. No Beverly Hills. No South Beach or Space Needle.

Sorry. So yes, it's overrated by *some*.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Yes I do think its overrated. When I look at cities with expensive real estate prices like S.F., Boston or Seattle those cities just offer so much more. Water, charm, natural beauty, density, pedestrian and bike friendly, thriving downtowns, much less heat and humidity and jobs of course. Does anybody on these boards actually live in Atlanta? Everything seems so geared to suburban life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta