Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
No, I don't want people to feel the way I do. I actually know plenty of people who feel the way I do, many who have left or are trying to leave. To that end, the people I know who have left or want to leave are from big cities such as Miami, D.C., Chicago, N.YC., Boston, and L.A. All of them are either very well-educated or have many years of experience in their fields. But that's not the point.

I'm trying to see if there's something I'm overlooking (in an attempt to try to make the best of things while I'm still here) as to why I don't think Atlanta is as wonderful as everyone else does on these forums. Yes I agree that Atlanta has some beautiful neighborhoods. Heck, I worked in Downtown Decatur, lived in Virginia-Highland for many years and I currently live in Buckhead, both of which I love for asthetic reasons and schools. I think Morningside/Lenox Park, Toco Hills, Brookhaven, and Oakhurst/Downtown Decatur/East Lake are also very gorgeous areas, each with their own unique appeal. But there are things about the city/state themselves that I just don't like and I'm not seeing all these opportunities.

All of those I know who left or who want to leave have or are doing so because they feel the pay is just too low here. They all complained that the salaries they earned while living in GA were the lowest they ever made. They said the cost of living is too high compared to the pay, the traffic is too bad and the commutes are too long, making living here not worth it to them, particularly for the salaries they were earning. They all say they have made or can make much more money elsewhere. And those I know who have businesses say their businesses fair(ed) much better in other cites--that their business made much more money in the cities they came from or travel to, that Atlanta customers don't like paying for things or want everything on the cheap, and that their coming here to do business was a mistake. And those who are black said they have faced outright racism when going to job interviews or in the workplace.

I definitely notice what some of you have mentioned in this thread thus far: My friends who love Atlanta and think it's the greatest thing ever are from small Southern cities and felt that moving to Atlanta was the big city. Coming from Chicago I though it was odd lol. Besides the neighborhoods I've mentioned and the trees, those are the only redeeming qualities I've observed in my years living here.
Well it sounds like you already knew the answer to your original question then. Since you know SOOOO many people that feel the same way you do, what was the point of asking?

For example: "My friends who love Atlanta and think it's the greatest thing ever are from small Southern cities and felt that moving to Atlanta was the big city. Coming from Chicago I though it was odd lol." You've already answered your own question. Their from small southern cities. What's there not to understand???

You know why YOU came here. You know why others from big cities came here. And you know why people from small towns came here. End of the story. It's beginning to sound like you started this thread to get others who feel the same as you to chime in about how much you "dislike" or don't get the "hype" of Atlanta.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM

49 posts, read 75,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't know one person who wants to move to Atlanta. I personally would never entertain the idea of living in a city that is in the state of Georgia. Georgia remains a RED state, which indicates that it still contains more people who align themselves with the Klan than it does not. As a solid Conservative state, Georgia doesn't count in my eyes, and neither does Atlanta.

I have always felt that Atlanta was all marketing and no substance. No interest in the city whatsoever.
I don't know one person who wants to move to SAN DIEGO. I personally would never want to entertain the idea of living in a city that it's such a liberal cesspool as the state of California. You see, CA is a BLUE state, which indicates that it still contains more people who align themselves with treehuggers and "sexual deviants" than it does not. As a solidly liberal state, California doesn't count in my eyes, and neither does Atlanta.

-------

Now, if I had placed the above quote into a California forum, you all would have jumped on me. Obviously I don't harbor these views because it would be silly to do so (and incredibly closeminded). Anyone with any sort of nominal knowledge of Atlanta would know that it's the oddball of the state by far BECAUSE of its politics. Sure we do get hampered by the conservative antics of the rural areas and suburbs, but that's no reason to write off 5 million people.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:06 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Well it sounds like you already knew the answer to your original question then. Since you know SOOOO many people that feel the same way you do, what was the point of asking?

For example: "My friends who love Atlanta and think it's the greatest thing ever are from small Southern cities and felt that moving to Atlanta was the big city. Coming from Chicago I though it was odd lol." You've already answered your own question. Their from small southern cities. What's there not to understand???

You know why YOU came here. You know why others from big cities came here. And you know why people from small towns came here. End of the story. It's beginning to sound like you started this thread to get others who feel the same as you to chime in about how much you "dislike" or don't get the "hype" of Atlanta.
No, I started this thread to find out if there's something me and the others I know who don't like it have missed out something. Not being facetious. I'm serious. Sorry if my inquiring offends you.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:17 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,576 times
OP needs to just move.

Whenever someone starts talking about "hype" in the sense of Atlanta I never know what they are talking about. Who on earth is/was hyping Atlanta? Was it on BET? I've never seen Atlanta "hyped".

Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
It's pretty obvious for people coming from small towns and cities within GA and surrounding states, particularly younger people.

For people from major urban areas in other parts of the country, you simply cannot underestimate the allure of a cheaper cost of living, especially housing, in a major metro area with tons of urban amenities.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
My question (well, comment) is why should anyone even care that you don't "get it"? Seriously, if you don't like it then "bye!" or, stay. Who cares?

Since that is obvious to any adult, that leads me to think the real point of this thread is "I'm not ballin' like I thought was going to be when I moved down here. Why? WHY!? Hmph!"

Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and just find another city to live in.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and just find another city to live in.
I'm working on it. Thanks for the advice though.

And no I didn't come here expecting to be ballin,' whatever that means.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty obvious for people coming from small towns and cities within GA and surrounding states, particularly younger people.

For people from major urban areas in other parts of the country, you simply cannot underestimate the allure of a cheaper cost of living, especially housing, in a major metro area with tons of urban amenities.
In the neighborhood I live in, houses start at around $1 million on the low end. Is that affordable for most people moving here from other urban areas? And when you say more affordable in Atlanta, are you referring to the suburbs or Atlanta proper?

Old 06-23-2012, 12:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
In the neighborhood I live in, houses start at around $1 million on the low end. Is that affordable for most people moving here from other urband areas?
Yes it is and you certainly can't be so daft as to believe that your neighborhood is typical for Atlanta as far as housing costs go. Even looking at suburban areas in Atlanta compared to other places--desirable ones even--Atlanta still enjoys a pretty big advantage.

I'm a renter and looking at rental rates, Atlanta is quite a bit more affordable than similarly-sized metros like DC, Philly, Boston, etc. I pay less than $700 in rent for a one bedroom in northern Fulton County where I can get to Buckhead in about 15 minutes. In contrast, I was checking out a job in northern Virginia a couple of months ago in a town a similar distance away from DC and rents started no less than $1100/month, even for towns further out. Cost of living is a HUGE advantage that Atlanta enjoys over other metros.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes it is and you certainly can't be so daft as to believe that your neighborhood is typical for Atlanta as far as housing costs go. Even looking at suburban areas in Atlanta compared to other places--desirable ones even--Atlanta still enjoys a pretty big advantage.

I'm a renter and looking at rental rates, Atlanta is quite a bit more affordable than similarly-sized metros like DC, Philly, Boston, etc. I pay less than $700 in rent for a one bedroom in northern Fulton County where I can get to Buckhead in about 15 minutes. In contrast, I was checking out a job in northern Virginia a couple of months ago in a town a similar distance away from DC and rents started no less than $1100/month, even for towns further out. Cost of living is a HUGE advantage that Atlanta enjoys over other metros.
Certainaly you aren't daft to think that if you don't live in Atlanta proper, you live in Atlanta. I live in Atlanta proper and I have for years and the rent and housing costs are not cheap. You can't compare surburban prices to city prices. When I say Atlanta, I mean Atlanta, not the 'burbs.

And $1 million or close to it is typical for a nice neighborhood in Altanta. I'm not talking about the suburbs.

I never said that rent wasn't more expensive than other cities. I said that housing is very expensive against the low wages here. I tried living in the 'burbs but the schools were horrible and the commute wasn't worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta