U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,932,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I am in IT and I moved here a couple of months ago with an offer - that said, ever since I moved to Atlanta, I have been getting a lot of calls from local IT recruiters so I guess that means at the very least the IT/Software industry is humming along nicely in Atlanta.
Not really. What skillsets and experience levels are the offers for? Are they backed up with actual funded positions, or are companies simply fishing? Recruiters contact people all the time, rain or shine. That's what they do -- build up contact lists so they have something when jobs actually appear.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
But the issues I initially brought up aren't being addressed. I asked why people want to be here when there is no work and I keep getting it has great neighborhoods and is cheaper than other cities. I have agreed that there are great areas. I have also agreed that housing is cheaper compared other metro areas. Are you all suggesting that Atlanta is so great that people should come here anyway even if they can't find work? And yes again, for the jobs that are here, the salaries are low compared to the cost of living.
Sounds like many of us aren't welcome in this thread at all. I moved here because I came here well before the recession hit for a job, my job seems to compensate me well for the area, and I'm not a person recommending that anyone move here at all unless they also have a job lined up in the Atlanta area.

I think people who advocate that others move here without having a job first are largely foolish, though there are a small percentage of people who are either self-employed or who have enough cash saved away to be able to stick it out here for a year or more. For those folks, if you think it's the right call, go for it, but I still think it's unwise given the general economy in this area.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,530,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Not really. What skillsets and experience levels are the offers for? Are they backed up with actual funded positions, or are companies simply fishing? Recruiters contact people all the time, rain or shine. That's what they do -- build up contact lists so they have something when jobs actually appear.
They have actual positions, not just building up lists. They are mostly .NET based positions, mid-senior level in Roswell, Alpharetta, Buckhead and Norcross.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,981,478 times
I was waiting on those 2 to show up.. they never disappoint. Secretly.they love Atlanta that's why they always make a grand appearance.. Hi haters

Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
They have actual positions, not just building up lists. They are mostly .NET based positions, mid-senior level in Roswell, Alpharetta, Buckhead and Norcross.
Ok, so that's a pretty specialized thing. Common in Windows shops. A good sign if you're a .NET developer, no doubt. Not as good for those who use other languages and frameworks for a living.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,132,877 times
Quote:
Like I've said before. They are interested in poaching someone else's talent rather than developing it. Then the industry whines because of a lack of talent and calls for a relaxing of immigration to bring more talent in. Either that or they off-shore the work and wonder why the home economy isn't doing so well.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM

12,947 posts, read 21,044,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Like I've said before. They are interested in poaching someone else's talent rather than developing it. Then the industry whines because of a lack of talent and calls for a relaxing of immigration to bring more talent in. Either that or they off-shore the work and wonder why the home economy isn't doing so well.
Yep.

Video - Wharton's Peter Cappelli Explains Why Job Seekers Don't Land Jobs - WSJ.com

Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM

413 posts, read 729,200 times
I'll bite on this thread. I actually do see alot of the points that the OP makes but I think it comes down to perspective, where you are in your life and what's important to you. Sounds like OP is working part-time, was laid off and is somewhat resentful...apologies in advance ATL_BD if I misspoke. I appreciate your situation as I was lured down here by a job only to quit 5 months later. I would say our move down to Atlanta was not driven by a desire to live in Atlanta in so much as it was to move away from a cold, midwest climate. I was fortunate to land another position in my industry but my company isn't based here nor is my industry thriving down here either. That said, while I feel no pressure of losing my job, etc. I would have to move if there was a change in my employment situation.

Long term, I don't see us living here and raising our kids. If I were single, or married with no kids, that would be a different story. By far, this is one of the COOLEST cities we have ever lived. We constantly struggle with the conflicting emotions/logic about what's important. We love the warmth of the people and weather, the hip trendy intown neighborhoods, the accessibility of all the great restaurants and the food quality is amazing. I don't think there is another metro area in this country where you can have all those amenities intown without paying 3x the housing cost. There is a lot to like and love about Atlanta.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

17 posts, read 30,904 times
for me personally, i'd consider a move there mostly because the housing is dirt cheap compared to most of the other major metropolitan areas having a decent sized job market. although the pay there overall can be lower than other areas, that means i get to work a less stressful job and retire a few years sooner.

other reasons: warm climate, some diversity, decent schooling systems, decent public universities, not too congested

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM

449 posts, read 957,562 times
Climate, laid back environment, and cost of living are my main factors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or