U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM

369 posts, read 534,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
My mama is from Oakland, still have family in Vallejo, Hercules/Pinole, Pittsburg, and Antioch, so I've been to the Bay quite a bit in my life... shows how much you know Notice I never said that the Bay has a large black middle class (because that would be a lie). If anything, many have been fleeing California due to the high prices and taxes, lack of jobs and being overran with illegals. The city of SF itself has one of the fastest-shrinking black communities in the country. Most blacks in the Bay Area live in the East Bay. I grew up in Los Angeles and many of my friends have left there to move to Vegas or down south ever since the 1990's. I left back then too. So trust and believe, this issue hits quite close to home for me.

I bought up SF's gay community because many associate the city as being more gay-friendly than most cities in the country, just as Atlanta is being associated as being a "Mecca" for blacks. Different communities yes, but they're not for everyone in those respective communities (I'd advise someone who is black and gay to look to Atlanta instead of SF for a number of reasons).

However, if someone chooses to move to the Bay and finds it a better fit for them personally, there's nothing that we can do about it. If the poster works in the high-tech industry, chances are there are more of those types of jobs in the Silicon Valley than there are in Atlanta. Since Atlanta has one of the crappier economies in the country at the moment, if she had to move to do what she had to do, so be it. You and I certainly are not paying her bills, so who are you to question the choices of why people move to certain places? Not everyone likes new-money flash (regardless of color) either nor are they obligated to. I've heard people complain about superficial show-offs in cities all over the place and as someone who lies in the DC Area, I do see a lot more fronting and perpetrating in the Atlanta area than I do here, but it's here too among many segments.

And I'm not crying at all. You're the one crying and getting all "blacker-than-thou" questioning people's blackness because they prefer the Bay to Atlanta.

OK.... so you pretty much agreed with everything I said, which brings up the question about what you meant by saying "I don't know what I'm talking about" with my "limited world view". I never said you weren't from the SF area but if you are that explains why you got so angry over my post.

You seem to be a decade late and the one feeding into the media hype about Atlanta being the "Black Mecca", I never mentioned that and I haven't even heard that saying in years and it was only rampant on this message board. People need to drop that and stop using as a negative plug. It's not as if the city used it as an offical marketing slogan or Politicians constantly say it in every speech. No, ironically its out of towners like those from Cali and NY that move to Atlanta and sing that tune on the way here as they tell their families and friends where they're going.

And even so when did being a city with high percentage of prospering Black people become a bad thing?

San Fransisco is known as an Asian Mecca and Miami as a hispanic mecca, they may not use those exact words but you constantly hear them championing those cities as their own and announcing and celebrating their progress there. It's only Blacks that are stupid enough to downplay their own progress and feel embarrassed by it. Instead of using the area as a stepping stone and progressing to the next level, they say "You think you better than everyone else? You aint nothing!" to their on kind while feeding on everyone elses propaganda.

I'm not trying convince the poster to leave the SF area, I could care less, I'm just stating my opinion. The hype around San Fransisco is atrocious. It has to be the most overhyped city in the world. Both Atlanta and SF have their strengths and weaknesses about each other.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM

967 posts, read 1,563,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
OK.... so you pretty much agreed with everything I said, which brings up the question about what you meant by saying "I don't know what I'm talking about" with my "limited world view". I never said you weren't from the SF area but if you are that explains why you got so angry over my post.

You seem to be a decade late and the one feeding into the media hype about Atlanta being the "Black Mecca", I never mentioned that and I haven't even heard that saying in years and it was only rampant on this message board. People need to drop that and stop using as a negative plug. It's not as if the city used it as an offical marketing slogan or Politicians constantly say it in every speech. No, ironically its out of towners like those from Cali and NY that move to Atlanta and sing that tune on the way here as they tell their families and friends where they're going.

And even so when did being a city with high percentage of prospering Black people become a bad thing?

San Fransisco is known as an Asian Mecca and Miami as a hispanic mecca, they may not use those exact words but you constantly hear them championing those cities as their own and announcing and celebrating their progress there. It's only Blacks that are stupid enough to downplay their own progress and feel embarrassed by it. Instead of using the area as a stepping stone and progressing to the next level, they say "You think you better than everyone else? You aint nothing!" to their on kind while feeding on everyone elses propaganda.

I'm not trying convince the poster to leave the SF area, I could care less, I'm just stating my opinion. The hype around San Fransisco is atrocious. It has to be the most overhyped city in the world. Both Atlanta and SF have their strengths and weaknesses about each other.

Honestly, I think we're just talking past each other. I never said that Atlanta being a place for black prosperity was a bad thing, so nice try at attempting to create an argument that was never made by me in the first place. I find it to be a positive thing and wish there were more cities that aspire to have more prosperous black middle class populations. Go complain to all those white folks who seem to hate and resent Atlanta for it instead of projecting your defensiveness and insecurities on me.

As for "speaking on things you don't know of," that was regarding your assigning assumptions about the poster who moved to SF/Silicon Valley by questioning her blackness and motives for moving there.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,402,980 times
Here is one reason that I love Atlanta.

Coldplay at Philips Arena last night was absolutely epic.
http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-s...ta_music_scene
Coldplay at Phillips Arena | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Honestly, I think we're just talking past each other. I never said that Atlanta being a place for black prosperity was a bad thing, so nice try at attempting to create an argument that was never made by me in the first place. I find it to be a positive thing and wish there were more cities that aspire to have more prosperous black middle class populations. Go complain to all those white folks who seem to hate and resent Atlanta for it instead of projecting your defensiveness and insecurities on me.

As for "speaking on things you don't know of," that was regarding your assigning assumptions about the poster who moved to SF/Silicon Valley by questioning her blackness and motives for moving there.
OK I think we are then, I wasn't "questioning her blackness", it really wasn't anything personal, it's just that many times people claim to be Black in these forums when writing negative things about Black people and some are simply lying. The poster has also only been in the SF area metro a month but I would give it more time before championing it over ATL, I have a feeling they'll be a little homesick.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM

165 posts, read 425,060 times
I wouldn't lie about my race just because it's the internet, and I'm actually a "he" . Anyway, I didn't move to the west or the SF bay area because I thought I would be surrounded by a different type of black person. I moved here, because I felt it was time for a change as I grew tired of Atlanta and primarily the South (perhaps that will change in the future, who knows). Race surely wasn't a factor in my move, but so far I've noticed the people I work with seem to be a more diverse bunch than what I typically experienced in Atlanta(african american or caucasian american). There seems to be a nice mixture of folks from all over the world(Western and Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, Caribbean, etc) whether their skin color is the same or not.

And even though I've only been here a short amount of time, I haven't felt or seen the awkward looks when I'm "the different" person in the room. I personally think it's because of the more liberal and moderate nature and politics of people in this part of the country compared to the more traditional and conservative nature of individuals in the South.

I guess I shouldn't have isolated the black race with the show-off lifestyle of Atlanta as it's definitely apparent with other races as well in the area, but since the city has a large black population and I am black, I tend to recognize it more. It probably comes with the territory of it being a sprawled area where big (not necessarily quality) housing is cheap and people coming from higher income parts of the country believe their can stretch their former salaries a bit farther.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,410,750 times
The answer is simple really. Housing, cheap. Jobs, people assume them to be plentiful as they once were. With the economy the way it is those are really the only two ingredients you need. Then you get people down here and they realize that if you aren't in a certain few industries the jobs are scarce and you end up with more foreclosures and faster dropping home values than anywhere in the country. I think the growth will stop eventually and shift more towards Dallas and Houston.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
The answer is simple really. Housing, cheap. Jobs, people assume them to be plentiful as they once were. With the economy the way it is those are really the only two ingredients you need. Then you get people down here and they realize that if you aren't in a certain few industries the jobs are scarce and you end up with more foreclosures and faster dropping home values than anywhere in the country. I think the growth will stop eventually and shift more towards Dallas and Houston.
Oh I get it now you're a troll.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,606,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
Oh I get it now you're a troll.
No he isn't. But you step in it more often than the Roto Rooter guy. You are obsessed with race.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 PM

139 posts, read 172,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
No he isn't. But you step in it more often than the Roto Rooter guy. You are obsessed with race.
Careful, mate. She loves to bash people from Washington.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Says the one who fled Atlanta for Arlington cause she couldn't stand the Black people. You obviously didn't see the posts in the other thread, it was the same negative banter, much like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or