U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM

101 posts, read 274,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
We are looking at, in the future, possibly Alpharetta, Dunwoody, or Decatur.

So why would we want to move to Atlanta in spite of the crime and the job situation?

We have many reasons.

1. Its only a few hours away from my husbands family (an easy weekend trip).

2. One of my husbands best friends live in Atlanta.

3. I have been to Atlanta during the summer. Trust me, its infinitely preferable to New Orleans. The humidity and heat don't remotely approach the place my husband calls "the armpit of the US".

4. Its so beautiful. Green rolling hills. I love how its spread out. How new it feels.

5. All three of the areas I posted have a much much better crime rate than New Orleans.

6. If we can get a job, we will make more money in any of those areas that we will in New Orleans. And it can't be any worse than here. Our careers are at a dead stop or getting worse. My husband is already down to only part time work and can't find better. Our wages were cut in half back in March and it hasn't improved. And me? I can't seem to break the $11 an hour barrier in spite of ten years experience in my industry and a college education.

7. Cost to buy houses is much better. In New Orleans/Metairie, you're looking at spending around $1200 a month to rent a one bedroom unless you're in the ghetto then you still have to deal with things like flooding from a thunderstorm. I wouldn't want to buy a house here due to the hurricanes. I can't imagine losing everything in another Katrina.

8. The hurricanes don't remotely approach the terror of the ones that can pop up in New Orleans.

Yes, Atlanta has problems. But it also has things that are good for it. I'm tired of the oppressive heat, the hurricanes, and the intense rudeness of the people that live and work here (they are only polite in the tourist areas. Try going out to the regular places. I haven't had the McDonalds near my house not screw up an order in 5 years, and they are really rude when you ask politely for them to fix it). Everything is dirty and run down unless they are the million dollar mansions even if they are brand new. It feels like everything is covered in mud.

The only thing I would miss from here is the food because its the best in the world and the jazz (because lets face it, no other jazz is real jazz and New Orleans was the birthplace of it).

Contrary to what I said, I don't hate it here. I just feel that it's time to leave.

I do have to say though, contrary to some opinions on here, Georgia is no more red than it is here.

I wouldn't mind moving to California, but they have had alot of problems recently, and it would be moving away from the family and friends, not toward them. I can tell you one thing that I know for sure... there are no opportunities in New Orleans or the surrounding cities.
I agree with what the others said. I'm speaking at your number 6. If you can't score a better job there it will be even harder here. I use to like a place because of it's beauty but I quickly realized that beauty in places doesn't pay the electric bill jobs do. I'm not sure if you have to be in Georgia but I would consider Texas. Dallas or Houston is really popping with jobs right now. A lot of people are heading to Texas including me because it's providing people with a decent living. Not trying to discourage you but you can do much better elsewhere. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,334,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Why not go to Houston. Much better job market.
The climates of Southeast Louisiana and Southeast Texas are practically identical. If they think of New Orleans as the armpit of America then they most likely wouldn't be fond of Houston either. Anyone who thinks of NOLA that way belongs in pretty and perfect Atlanta, Georgia.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The climates of Southeast Louisiana and Southeast Texas are practically identical. If they think of New Orleans as the armpit of America then they most likely wouldn't be fond of Houston either. Anyone who thinks of NOLA that way belongs in pretty and perfect Atlanta, Georgia.
Lol. I'll be hot for some money.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:46 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Or they could try Dallas or Austin.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:41 PM

5 posts, read 5,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have read on so many various forums inside and outside City-Data that there are lots of people who desire to move to Georgia. The common thread that I hear is that people would love to move here but can't find work.

I just have a few questions:

1. What do people think is in Georgia that they want to be here so bad?

2. What do they feel Georgia has to offer other than cheap housing? Most of the school systems are bad and the pay here is usually low.

3. If you keep finding that there are little to no job opportunities in Georgia, doesn't it stand to reason that there are other major issues to accompany that?

What is the appeal about Georgia that people want to come here when there are no jobs? I"ve lived here for 16 years and I've yet to see what all the hype is all about.
Texas has cheaper housing than Georgia, and it has a real economy. But it's all relative. I'm sure Atlanta looks pretty good if you move here from the Northeast, where you cannot afford a home.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,357,428 times
Quote:
You must not have lived in Chicago a very long time. The women in Chicago are gorgeous and highly fashionable. And a lot of the hot chicks here are usually not from here lol.
I'm from Harvey, & this is true! However, women, sistas in particular look GOOD no matter where they come from.

The Akoben Institute is what brought us here. Atlanta is growing on me. I dig the ambiance in the evening. I'd be so much better off when and if I learn to slow down. The pace drives me nuts. My problem, not Atlanta's

Last edited by ThreeSides; 08-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Forgot to state what brought us here.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:14 PM

4,702 posts, read 3,230,405 times
Better Weather

2. What do they feel Georgia has to offer other than cheap housing? Most of the school systems are bad and the pay here is usually low.
Schools are great in Duluth/Suwanee. I'm paid well and the weather is nice too.

3. If you keep finding that there are little to no job opportunities in Georgia, doesn't it stand to reason that there are other major issues to accompany that?
Jobs are plentiful if you are in the right field and have experience.

What is the appeal about Georgia that people want to come here when there are no jobs? I"ve lived here for 16 years and I've yet to see what all the hype is all about.[/quote]
I get multiple job offers every day and oh yeah, the weather is nice too. I agree though, Atlanta is overall a pretty boring place with little appeal, other than the weather.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 PM

27,786 posts, read 24,814,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I agree though, Atlanta is overall a pretty boring place with little appeal, other than the weather.
Maybe you mean exurban Atlanta. I'd be bored as hell in Duluth or Suwanee too.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 PM

7,249 posts, read 6,415,866 times
Atlanta is a nice place to visit but it's too hot for me and there is too much traffic. Great for a long weekend though.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM

194 posts, read 510,957 times
Quote:
I have read on so many various forums inside and outside City-Data that there are lots of people who desire to move to Georgia. The common thread that I hear is that people would love to move here but can't find work.

I just have a few questions:

What is the appeal about Georgia that people want to come here when there are no jobs? I"ve lived here for 16 years and I've yet to see what all the hype is all about.
For me:
- Lots of black folks at all stations of life
- Liberal gun laws
- Lots of greenery
- Decent night lift
- Affordable homes with some space around them
- Reasonable (for me) cost of living
- Fine weather (I despise cold and snow. In fact, Atlanta gets a little too cold for my taste).
- Room for entrepreneurs to try business models
- Great country roads and intriguing little country nooks
- In my experience folks mind their own business, for the most part

What we're actually seeing is a reverse migration of African Americans BACK to the South. Many of our families left the segregated south during the Great Migrations I and II. I was a part of the second Great Migration and am now unwittingly participating in that reverse migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or