U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
3,889 posts, read 2,407,712 times
Reputation: 2960

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I know people with Master's degrees here who can't find work.
In that case, it sounds like they should have done more research into how much a master's degree would benefit them in their field. That doesn't automatically make you more marketable for all positions. Maybe a stronger work record in lieu of another degree would have helped their resume more.

 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,315 posts, read 3,793,500 times
Reputation: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
In that case, it sounds like they should have done more research into how much a master's degree would benefit them in their field. That doesn't automatically make you more marketable for all positions. Maybe a stronger work record in lieu of another degree would have helped their resume more.
They have MBA's. I guess there isn't much of a market for MBA's here.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,315 posts, read 3,793,500 times
Reputation: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Do you NOT like Atlanta or something??
No I don't.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
 
4,586 posts, read 6,197,102 times
Reputation: 5239
Waffle House, College football, and the Churches... Atlanta is never boring.. Just mention Creflo or Eddie and you can start a longgggg conversation with most anyone.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Georgia
1,451 posts, read 1,357,777 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
No I don't.
Interesting. i just found it kind of strange that you had "Atlanta" in your user name if you hated it so much...

Anyways, it seems Atlanta used to be a place where you come just show up and in no-time you'd be able to snag a job. It's not like that anymore, but really no place is (other than Austin, maybe Raleigh, maybe DC). It's all about perspective and where you're from. I'm from small-town Georgia and Atlanta is WORLDS better than that. 75% of everyone in the South would say the same. More to offer, more to see, more to do, more diversity, better weather.

I believe you said you're from Chicago, so that's perhaps why you have a different perspective. However, I know of ppl from there and they like Atlanta because it offers the same thing Chicago does, but with better weather, scenery, etc. Also a lot of people from up North say Atlanta still gives you that big city feel without it being so much of a rat-race. Of course our transit system isn't as robust as Chicago's, or the Northeast cities because Atlanta really grew up 100-150 years later in the car era. SOME OF US are trying to get it to that level lol. But people ought to really be surprised that there's even a MARTA in the first place being in the South. But I digress...

Maybe you should open yourself up to some of the positives of Atlanta vs most other places and maybe you wouldn't wonder why it's such a draw to others.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs)
3,889 posts, read 2,407,712 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I'm from small-town Georgia and Atlanta is WORLDS better than that. 75% of everyone in the South would say the same.
I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. In my experience a lot of "southern" people do not like Atlanta because they do not think it is "southern" enough. I personally think that is a plus.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,608,274 times
Reputation: 2950
I think Atlanta was a lot more enjoyable on the upswing. I managed to get in on the very tail end of that upswing before it all started going south around 2005-06. Buckhead Village was still going strong, the building boom was peaking, and ParkAtlanta was nowhere in sight. When gas started going up(especially when it skyrocketed in conjunction with Katrina) things started taking a turn for the worse. Add the huge impact of the recession and the shine has worn off the place in my opinion. I was living there because it is the closest major city to where I grew up.

Atlanta just didn't respond adequately to the influx of people in the past 2 or 3 decades. For all the clout it claims and the sheer population that both lives in and surrounds it, Atlanta is a fairly underwhelming city.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home...CHICAGO
3,315 posts, read 3,793,500 times
Reputation: 3944
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Interesting. i just found it kind of strange that you had "Atlanta" in your user name if you hated it so much...

Anyways, it seems Atlanta used to be a place where you come just show up and in no-time you'd be able to snag a job. It's not like that anymore, but really no place is (other than Austin, maybe Raleigh, maybe DC). It's all about perspective and where you're from. I'm from small-town Georgia and Atlanta is WORLDS better than that. 75% of everyone in the South would say the same. More to offer, more to see, more to do, more diversity, better weather.

I believe you said you're from Chicago, so that's perhaps why you have a different perspective. However, I know of ppl from there and they like Atlanta because it offers the same thing Chicago does, but with better weather, scenery, etc. Also a lot of people from up North say Atlanta still gives you that big city feel without it being so much of a rat-race. Of course our transit system isn't as robust as Chicago's, or the Northeast cities because Atlanta really grew up 100-150 years later in the car era. SOME OF US are trying to get it to that level lol. But people ought to really be surprised that there's even a MARTA in the first place being in the South. But I digress...

Maybe you should open yourself up to some of the positives of Atlanta vs most other places and maybe you wouldn't wonder why it's such a draw to others.
I hear what you are saying and I've tried to look more at the positives, but for me there are more cons than pros to being here.

My curiousity is why do people want to move here in droves when there are no jobs. If you have a job to transfer you that's different. But I see so many people in other cities thinking that they will have a better life in GA when they can't even get a job here to begin with.

And yes being from Chicago, Atlanta is like a small town and too slow to me. I've never been able to adapt to the culture. And being from Chicago, by comparison, Atlanta has less to do, less cultural offereings, less diversity, etc.--and the infrastructure is horrible. The positive is that my daughter is in a good school and is doing well. But that's about it. I had a job offer back home but it fell through so now I'm trying to figure out what my next move will be. I know several people who feel the same way I do and want to leave.

My immediate family is also here and they want to leave is well. Some of my other relatives from Chicago moved here, saw that it was all hype and moved back after less than a year.
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,123,265 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Not to say it is always easy but the odds are better here then most places. For degreed professionals the unemployment rate in Atlanta is quite low.
This depends entirely on what business you're in. In my industry (internet technologies), there are great jobs out there, and I get recruiter calls on a regular basis. In my DH's field (electronics engineering), the jobs are gone and are never coming back. But that's a whole other thread.

When you say that the odds are better in Atlanta than "most places" - better than other cities, or better than rural GA? Is that opinion, or do you have a source?
 
Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Georgia
1,451 posts, read 1,357,777 times
Reputation: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I hear what you are saying and I've tried to look more at the positives, but for me there are more cons than pros to being here.

My curiousity is why do people want to move here in droves when there are no jobs. If you have a job to transfer you that's different. But I see so many people in other cities thinking that they will have a better life in GA when they can't even get a job here to begin with.

And yes being from Chicago, Atlanta is like a small town and too slow to me. I've never been able to adapt to the culture. And being from Chicago, by comparison, Atlanta has less to do, less cultural offereings, less diversity, etc.--and the infrastructure is horrible. The positive is that my daughter is in a good school and is doing well. But that's about it. I had a job offer back home but it fell through so now I'm trying to figure out what my next move will be. I know several people who feel the same way I do and want to leave.

My immediate family is also here and they want to leave is well. Some of my other relatives from Chicago moved here, saw that it was all hype and moved back after less than a year.
I really liked Chicago when I spent a couple weeks there, but there's no place like home (or 2nd home lol). Like I said earlier MOST people come from worse. There's only about 7-8 other cities that offer more than Atlanta, so that's the reason for the draw.

Good luck in your relocation endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top