U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,345,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. In my experience a lot of "southern" people do not like Atlanta because they do not think it is "southern" enough. I personally think that is a plus.
If by not "southern" enough you mean too fast and too much traffic and hassle, then yes, that is the main complaint you'd get.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,103,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have read on so many various forums inside and outside City-Data that there are lots of people who desire to move to Georgia. The common thread that I hear is that people would love to move here but can't find work.

I just have a few questions:

1. What do people think is in Georgia that they want to be here so bad?

2. What do they feel Georgia has to offer other than cheap housing? Most of the school systems are bad and the pay here is usually low.

3. If you keep finding that there are little to no job opportunities in Georgia, doesn't it stand to reason that there are other major issues to accompany that?

What is the appeal about Georgia that people want to come here when there are no jobs? I"ve lived here for 16 years and I've yet to see what all the hype is all about.
Work. Both times I moved here (made the mistake of leaving in '09, luckily made it back just a tad over a year ago) I found work in my field (Business/Accounting) with growing, unique companies. Call it luck, I call it having a plethora of opportunities in a very business-friendly state.

Weather I had had enough of the northern winters - I'm a runner, inline skater, and ultimate frisbee player. I can do all almost year round.

City living / Anonymity I can get lost in the city and meet people from all over the world. MUCHdifferent scenario from my hometown of 30,000, where you see the same gang at the bowling alley and Applebees every Friday night.

Unlimited opportunity for personal and professional growth No comment needed here - Atlanta is still a bit down now, but will be making a ferocious comeback.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,965,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
In that case, it sounds like they should have done more research into how much a master's degree would benefit them in their field. That doesn't automatically make you more marketable for all positions. Maybe a stronger work record in lieu of another degree would have helped their resume more.
Comically...this type of Atlanta Attitude is what I hear a lot. Most people dont even have a Bachelors, much less a Masters or phD...hell a lot of people only have a GED, yet we criticize those who have pushed themselves to get the Masters? Gotta love the Atl Attitude of people who got it made.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM

101 posts, read 274,228 times
I moved here from MS and transferred with my job. The reasons why I moved was in hopes of finding a better job(away from the one I transferred with) and the music scene. I am into the music scene but my job comes first with the hope of getting a better job but that never happened for 3 years I've been here. So I'm in the process of moving to Dallas where I have a job lined up and even in my field of study. I have found out with today's technology music can be done anywhere and networking doesn't necessarily have to be done face to face anymore. So all in all Atlanta is over hyped and promises nothing.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:35 PM

3,529 posts, read 2,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Comically...this type of Atlanta Attitude is what I hear a lot. Most people dont even have a Bachelors, much less a Masters or phD...hell a lot of people only have a GED, yet we criticize those who have pushed themselves to get the Masters? Gotta love the Atl Attitude of people who got it made.
Huh?

It was not my intention to criticize education at all, but how does the person with an MBA have it "made" if they can't even get a job as the other poster alluded to?

All I was saying is if this person thought a Master's/MBA would automatically land them a job and is now finding out otherwise, then maybe they should have done that research beforehand. There's nothing wrong with continuing your education or getting an MBA, certainly that is a great accomplishment.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,737,020 times
atltechdude, don't mind the village idiot...

Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,972,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Do you NOT like Atlanta or something??
They don't.that's why this thread was made.. He or she wants people to feel the way they do.. Dunwoody panhandle hates Atlanta check there history

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,073,272 times
This post could not have described my thoughts any better. A great place to live and quite frankly a good place for a career (this was a major factor that brought me to Atlanta in addition to liking the area and climate, coming without jobs and from a smaller city this was important to me). So many great companies small and large. Not many cities have this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Work. Both times I moved here (made the mistake of leaving in '09, luckily made it back just a tad over a year ago) I found work in my field (Business/Accounting) with growing, unique companies. Call it luck, I call it having a plethora of opportunities in a very business-friendly state.

Weather I had had enough of the northern winters - I'm a runner, inline skater, and ultimate frisbee player. I can do all almost year round.

City living / Anonymity I can get lost in the city and meet people from all over the world. MUCHdifferent scenario from my hometown of 30,000, where you see the same gang at the bowling alley and Applebees every Friday night.

Unlimited opportunity for personal and professional growth No comment needed here - Atlanta is still a bit down now, but will be making a ferocious comeback.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,120,251 times
I guess Atlanta is a good compromise.

Four seasons, but none too harsh. Atlanta's southern latitude and high altitude are the reason.

Not flat but not very hilly either.

Lots of greenery.

Affordable COL.

And Atlanta provides most of the big city amenities you'd want, but t's no NYC.

Atlanta isn't the epitome but a compromise.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 AM

3,315 posts, read 3,762,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
They don't.that's why this thread was made.. He or she wants people to feel the way they do.. Dunwoody panhandle hates Atlanta check there history
No, I don't want people to feel the way I do. I actually know plenty of people who feel the way I do, many who have left or are trying to leave. To that end, the people I know who have left or want to leave are from big cities such as Miami, D.C., Chicago, N.YC., Boston, and L.A. All of them are either very well-educated or have many years of experience in their fields. But that's not the point.

I'm trying to see if there's something I'm overlooking (in an attempt to try to make the best of things while I'm still here) as to why I don't think Atlanta is as wonderful as everyone else does on these forums. Yes I agree that Atlanta has some beautiful neighborhoods. Heck, I worked in Downtown Decatur, lived in Virginia-Highland for many years and I currently live in Buckhead, both of which I love for asthetic reasons and schools. I think Morningside/Lenox Park, Toco Hills, Brookhaven, and Oakhurst/Downtown Decatur/East Lake are also very gorgeous areas, each with their own unique appeal. But there are things about the city/state themselves that I just don't like and I'm not seeing all these opportunities.

All of those I know who left or who want to leave have or are doing so because they feel the pay is just too low here. They all complained that the salaries they earned while living in GA were the lowest they ever made. They said the cost of living is too high compared to the pay, the traffic is too bad and the commutes are too long, making living here not worth it to them, particularly for the salaries they were earning. They all say they have made or can make much more money elsewhere. And those I know who have businesses say their businesses fair(ed) much better in other cites--that their business made much more money in the cities they came from or travel to, that Atlanta customers don't like paying for things or want everything on the cheap, and that their coming here to do business was a mistake. And those who are black said they have faced outright racism when going to job interviews or in the workplace.

I definitely notice what some of you have mentioned in this thread thus far: My friends who love Atlanta and think it's the greatest thing ever are from small Southern cities and felt that moving to Atlanta was the big city. Coming from Chicago I though it was odd lol. Besides the neighborhoods I've mentioned and the trees, those are the only redeeming qualities I've observed in my years living here.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 06-23-2012 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or