Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's the entire concept of metropolitan areas. People routinely include both suburbs and the city proper when saying "I'm moving to (insert any city here)" and why you made that out to be such an unusual and alien concept when your mention of Decatur does the exact same thing is beyond me.
Someone said the appeal is that there are gorgeous neighborhoods/areas here. I agreed and mentioned the ones that I like. I don't get why you are getting so bent out of shape.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
That point you quoted had NOTHING to do with Atlanta specifically and Atlanta_BD's response was close to being an ad hominem statement, so any 'defensiveness' on my part would have been more personal than anything. Now whether we're talking about NYC, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Charlotte, Nashville, Orlando, Seattle, Phoenix, DC, Indianapolis, etc.--the mention of a city in these settings implies the entire metropolitan area as opposed to the city proper. When people are talking about the city proper, they usually specify that.

Common sense would tell anybody that they can get a decent house in a decent neighborhood in intown Atlanta for a good bit less than $1 million. I mean really, that's not rocket science whatsoever. It only took a simple Google search for me to find those links.

I only commented in this thread because the answer was fairly obvious given the actual question. I don't have a ton invested in Atlanta and it's a good chance that I will have moved elsewhere before the year is up, but such foolishness ought to be addressed.
Since I have lived in these areas and actually have looked up home prices, I'm here to tell you that other than a one-bedroom condo, you can not buy anything for significanty less than $1 million in these areas unless you consider $600-$700k in these areas significantly less. If you are referring to the suburban areas only in terms of getting a house for way less than you are right and this is a miscommunication. And even then, this is the way out suburban areas. When I lived in Virginia-Highland the only things you could find for cheap were one-bedroom condos. Two bed-room condos were significantly more, in many cases $100k more vs. the price of a one-bedroom. I had looked at one particular two-bedroom condo in the area and it was $270k. The finishes and fixtures were the cheapest the builder could buy and the doors in the unit were so flimsy that you could punch a hole through them.

I said that the houses in MY NEIGHBORHOOD specifically go for that much. I live in Buckhead. Where do you live?

Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I've already mentioned my reason for starting this thread. If it offends you that not everyone thinks Atlanta is wonderful, I don't know what to tell you. I've known plenty of people who moved here thinking Atlanta offered a better life. They realized it didn't and went back to where they came from or other cities.
I should be asking u that u seem offended that people actually found Atlanta to be a better place. Im not offended,I understand that people don't want the Atlanta lifestyle. I also understand that many people don't enjoy the nyc lifestyle either. We have so many great cities to choose from and there's room for everyone. Sorry that atlanta has not offered u the best lifestyle that suits you, but you need to move on to somewhere else. Let those who enjoy atlanta enjoy it. There are plenty who do and I am one of them. There are also people who have left and thought it was greener on the other side and ended up coming back. So my friend it goes both ways

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I should be asking u that u seem offended that people actually found Atlanta to be a better place. Im not offended,I understand that people don't want the Atlanta lifestyle. I also understand that many people don't enjoy the nyc lifestyle either. We have so many great cities to choose from and there's room for everyone. Sorry that atlanta has not offered u the best lifestyle that suits you, but you need to move on to somewhere else. Let those who enjoy atlanta enjoy it. There are plenty who do and I am one of them. There are also people who have left and thought it was greener on the other side and ended up coming back. So my friend it goes both ways
I'm not offended at all. I simply asked questions looking for varying opinions, but it seems I'm getting attacked. Again, I asked what is here that I'm missing, that I'm overlooking, yet it seems I'm being attacked because I don't think it's all that great. I never said no one is entitled to their opinion. I simply asked why people want to be here so bad when there are no jobs here except for those who are being transferred.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Really, some of you guys are so defensive about Atlanta that it suggests to me a sense of insecurity.

Keep in mind that it can't be a lie unless Atlanta_BD knew at the time it was untrue.
Really! People like u are the reason why people get so defensive.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:45 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Someone said the appeal is that there are gorgeous neighborhoods/areas here. I agreed and mentioned the ones that I like. I don't get why you are getting so bent out of shape.
Nobody's getting "bent out of shape," but the fact that you tried to deride me for conflating Atlanta with the metro area when you did the exact same thing as most people do was hypocritical and deserved to be highlighted. Now, that's been covered so move along.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Since I have lived in these areas and actually have looked up home prices, I'm here to tell you that other than a one-bedroom condo, you can not buy anything for significanty less than $1 million in these areas unless you consider $600-$700k in these areas significantly less. If you are referring to the suburban areas only in terms of getting a house for way less than you are right and this is a miscommunication. And even then, this is the way out suburban areas. When I lived in Virginia-Highland the only things you could find for cheap were one-bedroom condos. Two bed-room condos were significantly more, in many cases $100k more vs. the price of a one-bedroom. I had looked at one particular two-bedroom condo in the area and it was $270k. The finishes and fixtures were the cheapest the builder could buy and the doors in the unit were so flimsy that you could punch a hole through them.
On Trulia.com, seems that there are plenty of options for 2BR residences in decent intown neighborhoods that go for $350K and less--but maybe you don't think of $350K as being "significantly less than $1 million." Atlanta Real Estate & Atlanta Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

These days, you can find plenty of 1BR's going for $150K and less. A 2BR that's $100K more is STILL significantly less than $1 million.

Quote:
I said that the houses in MY NEIGHBORHOOD specifically go for that much. I live in Buckhead. Where do you live?
I already mentioned where I live in a previous post. And as I said, you're daft if you think that the lowest-priced residence going for $1 million is typical for all of Atlanta, even intown locations. And even for Buckhead, Trulia.com says you're still wrong: Buckhead Village Real Estate & Buckhead Village Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Old 06-23-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
On Trulia.com, seems that there are plenty of options for 2BR residences in decent intown neighborhoods that go for $350K and less--but maybe you don't think of $350K as being "significantly less than $1 million." Atlanta Real Estate & Atlanta Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

These days, you can find plenty of 1BR's going for $150K and less. A 2BR that's $100K more is STILL significantly less than $1 million.

I already mentioned where I live in a previous post. And as I said, you're daft if you think that the lowest-priced residence going for $1 million is typical for all of Atlanta, even intown locations. And even for Buckhead, Trulia.com says you're still wrong: Buckhead Village Real Estate & Buckhead Village Homes For Sale — Trulia.com
You said you live in North Fulton. You didn't say specifically what area or town you live in.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Also I didn't say all residences, I said houses, not condos. I live mostly around homes and believe me, they ain't $100k or even close to that. And yeah condos on Pharr maybe cheap because they are out of date and empty, but the actual nice ones right up the street on Peachtree start at $300k, many of them. Also we are speaking from two different perspectives. You are speaking as a single person under the assumption that everyone wants to live in a condo. I'm speaking from a family persepctive. I used to rent a condo on Pharr Road and many of those places are cheap and in poor condition (and also full of riff-raff many of them) because the owners can't sell them because still people are out of work and can't rent, much less buy. Many people want houses, not condos, again which is why those you listed are so cheap. And while you want to prove me wrong, do that if it makes you feel good. But I know where I live and I know what real estate costs in my own neighborhood.

For people who have children who would like to live in homes and not condos, the nice intown neighborhoods are not affordable for most.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Nobody's getting "bent out of shape," but the fact that you tried to deride me for conflating Atlanta with the metro area when you did the exact same thing as most people do was hypocritical and deserved to be highlighted. Now, that's been covered so move along.
I've never tried to deride you. You are taking this discussion way too seriously and way too personally. You don't agree with my pespective and you want to attack me and call a liar because I don't like this place as much as you do. I have not done that to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta