U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:48 AM

87 posts, read 429,369 times

Advertisements

I stayed in Sandy Springs for vacation and it was really nice. I was up there looking at different areas to move to. I just have a question about Dunwoody is all of Dunwoody nice as Sandy Springs and is part of Dunwoody in Dekalb County. Is the taxes cheaper in Dekalb County or Fulton County for that area? Can you buy a home in these areas for around $200,000 or a townhome with a small yard? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 AM

425 posts, read 1,588,096 times
I live off Hammond Drive in Sandy Springs and somewhat familiar with both -

Dunwoody is in Dekalb and Sandy Springs is in Fulton. It is possible to buy a townhome in the mid 200's (not very many to choose from) as long as you are not comparing it to brand new townhomes in outer metro counties. As for Dunwoody being nice, yes, most of Dunwoody is family focused and nicely kept. I would say the area aged well and the core community is very strong. Also, the tax is cheaper in Dekalb.

Having said all that, to me anyway, Dunwoody feels a bit sleepy compared to Sandy Springs minus the mall area. I personally love the political energy and the shift that Sandy Springs has demonstrated but I would almost wholeheartedly recommend Dunwoody to just about anyone.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,371,656 times
I used to be a big fan of Sandy Springs. However, it seems to have lost some luster over the last 10 years or so. Roswell Road was never great, but it seems like there has been an influx of seedy businesses just north of the 285. This is the main thoroughfare through Sandy Springs, and it just doesn't have a real good "feel" to it. Now, just west of Sandy Springs going toward the Chatahoochee river is a real nice area. I used to go jogging in the park down by the river quite often. I think this is the Powers Ferry area, but it might be called something else - not sure.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:37 PM

"seedy" businesses are going away. At 1.5 million an acre for Roswell Rd facing lots, there is already an influx of redevelopment interest in that area. As for the blighted area just south of 285 and north of Prado shopping center, the city has rezoned the area to allow high rises to be built. The existing landlords will definitely sell out to developers at a high premium.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM

985 posts, read 5,297,866 times
Yes, I saw that ajc and tv. New Sandy Spring government decided to rezone the whole Roswell Road. A lot of immigrants (mostly hispanics, some Brazilans) probably have to move out again.

Same thing probably will happen in Gwinnett place cid (Gwinnett place mall) where they also rezone whole place. They are going to build high risers there too.

My question is that who is going to spend all that money for high riser in the suburb? Maybe in the city of Atlanta, but who is going to spend $500,000 for two bedroom condos in Sandy Spring or Duluth?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:09 PM

I can't speak for Duluth but Sandy Springs is ideally located for the biggest job center in the metro area. Centeral Perimeter district has more class A office space than Buckhead, Midtown, and Downtown. Also, it is strategically placed for easy access to other sub-markets in Alpharetta, Cumberland, while bordering Buckhead.

I think Duluth's growth will be fueled by foreign investments and will have a completely different feel to it when it is all said and done.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:19 PM

985 posts, read 5,297,866 times
Sandy Spring is in really good location. That's given. But still who is going to spend $500,000 for high riser condos there when most of houses are below that? I just cannot image that.

Let's forget Gwinnett place Mall for a moment where most of investors are Asians. But Cobb Gallery is going to build High risers. Believe or not, Snellville is planning to build high riser too.

I am afraid that's going to be a lot of sad high riser investors.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:22 PM

I think people will pay 500k for a suburban highrise unit. Why? Think of LA and see how it grew. It can be argued that the downtown LA is or isn't the most desirable area. I can think of plenty of areas outside of the city core that I'd rather live in. On the flipside, Manhattan IS the most desirable area, period. Atlanta is more like LA in that the city is comprised of many cores.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,371,656 times
This high-rise condo craze is the nuttiest thing I've seen since the dot-com craze! In Orlando, we have these high-rise condos popping up all over the place. Demographically, Orlando is not that much different than Atlanta, just smaller. We don't have many retirees. Young single people can't afford a $500,000 high rise condo. Married people don't move to Atlanta or Orlando with visions of raising a family in a high-rise condo. They move here to live on a nice sized lot with a nice sized house where they can spread out and have BB-Q's.

So, I guess these high-rise developers are banking on rich divorced men in their '40s-'50's living in plush condos. The only problem with that model is that most men, after they are done going through a divorce, ain't so rich. Maybe all of these condo high-rises will be "sugar-shacks" for ultra-rich married men to keep their little "sugar-snacks" in.

More likely, you're going them being used for stupid developers and their lenders to jump off of when they figure out that they've gone bust.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:07 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,079,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
This high-rise condo craze is the nuttiest thing I've seen since the dot-com craze! In Orlando, we have these high-rise condos popping up all over the place. Demographically, Orlando is not that much different than Atlanta, just smaller. We don't have many retirees. Young single people can't afford a $500,000 high rise condo. Married people don't move to Atlanta or Orlando with visions of raising a family in a high-rise condo. They move here to live on a nice sized lot with a nice sized house where they can spread out and have BB-Q's.

So, I guess these high-rise developers are banking on rich divorced men in their '40s-'50's living in plush condos. The only problem with that model is that most men, after they are done going through a divorce, ain't so rich. Maybe all of these condo high-rises will be "sugar-shacks" for ultra-rich married men to keep their little "sugar-snacks" in.

More likely, you're going them being used for stupid developers and their lenders to jump off of when they figure out that they've gone bust.
That's hiliarious...I don't get it either...That's one of the things I love about the ****-Lanta area, they are just developing any/every thing like crazy...And it's all either Hi-Rise condos, McMansion neighborhoods that start around 300k+, or crap Townhomes that are literally 5ft. apart from each other starting around 150k+. I just do not understand who is buying all this garbage???

I would love to be their w/a camera the day all these scum developers 'jump off'...They deserve it. They are pricing the middle class out, of ever being able to have a home, in the name of profit. They are so f*ing greedy, they will do anything if it means making a few extra bucks. And if what they're doing development wise isn't bad enough, most of them hire and/or hire sub-contractors who hire illegals instead of having to pay proper wages to an American...All in the name of MORE PROFIT...Sadly GA is a strongly Republican state, and the pol's support and help this 110%, and the citazens either support it because they are apart of it, are too ignorant to understand, or are just transients here until the next job promotion comes along and they can get the hell out of here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or