U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 AM

727 posts, read 1,036,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I'm 19 now. Yeah. If I'm going to have to wait till I'm 35 to get high speed rail (with delays, probably 40s) can't my state have some?
Well this study we are discussing recomended Stops in Chattanooga, Murfressboro, and Nashville.

I recently took Megabus from Atlanta to Chicago via Chattanooga, Nashville, Louisville, Indy. The busses where packed, so there is a demand for ground transportation on this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM

9,003 posts, read 16,128,157 times
Yep, Just find a high speed train that will take you from ATL to Chicago for $70. Thats where the market is, and a small one ATL-CHI 16hr (megabus - not counting conntion time/wait)

Fly 2hr / $120

Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yep, Just find a high speed train that will take you from ATL to Chicago for $70. Thats where the market is, and a small one ATL-CHI 16hr (megabus - not counting conntion time/wait)

Fly 2hr / $120
But that flight does not make intermediate stops. This line would makes IRS money on the short hops between cities where it would be faster than flying such as bowling green to Louisville, Atlanta to Chattanooga, savannah to Jacksonville, ect.

Trains are more than terminus to terminus.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM

28,118 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Doubt Georgia is dumb enough to spend $10 billion for a riderless train.
Leave the high speed rail to fancy-schmancy cities like Charlotte and Austin and Tampa that are loaded with money.

We've already got the infrastructure for the Mega-Bus here in Atlanta and that should be fine for us.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,344,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Leave the high speed rail to fancy-schmancy cities like Charlotte and Austin and Tampa that are loaded with money.

We've already got the infrastructure for the Mega-Bus here in Atlanta and that should be fine for us.
LOL! Seriously though, like I and someone else said before: Charlotte (which would then link to the Northeast) and Florida should be first! That's if they decide to do this thing...

Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 PM

The ATL-Charlotte line is more than likely going to be the first line from Atlanta, it is the furthest along in the study process.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:47 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,929,515 times
Its amazing to me (well, really its not) to still see those naysayers in here fighting to the death (so to speak) on their opinion about how this will fail. This after studies have proven HSR to be feasible.

I mean, really? Its like those people WANT us as a state/region to fail.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,985,416 times
Higher speed rail is only prudent between cities suffering from maxed-out capacity of short-haul flights (congested airspace) as well as maxed-out highway capacity.

Personally I think Atlanta is isolated enough for air travel to be the most efficient mode.

But thankfully North Carolina is actively using the $600 million it was awarded in 2010 to upgrade the tracks/travel times between Charlotte, Raleigh, and Washington, D.C.

Virginia and NC are chipping in equal amounts to resurrect an abandoned track for the only remaining missing link between Raleigh and Richmond that will shave 1-2 hours off service up to D.C.

Thank God NC has been quietly doing this under the political radar. And in 2015 or 2016 they will achieve an increased average speed through North Carolina up to D.C. Nothing spectacular, but I think the average speed will be just under 100mph, making the Raleigh to Washington service take just under 3 hours. It will be nice.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Higher speed rail is only prudent between cities suffering from maxed-out capacity of short-haul flights (congested airspace) as well as maxed-out highway capacity.

Personally I think Atlanta is isolated enough for air travel to be the most efficient mode.

But thankfully North Carolina is actively using the $600 million it was awarded in 2010 to upgrade the tracks/travel times between Charlotte, Raleigh, and Washington, D.C.

Virginia and NC are chipping in equal amounts to resurrect an abandoned track for the only remaining missing link between Raleigh and Richmond that will shave 1-2 hours off service up to D.C.

Thank God NC has been quietly doing this under the political radar. And in 2015 or 2016 they will achieve an increased average speed through North Carolina up to D.C. Nothing spectacular, but I think the average speed will be just under 100mph, making the Raleigh to Washington service take just under 3 hours. It will be nice.
While Atlanta may seem isolated now in the future it may not be the case. It is important to get the boring work (studies) out of the way now so as the region grows it is easier to implement high speed rail.

Also I remember people on this board thinking megabus would fail because the cities down here are two spread out. And as we now know that was DEAD WRONG.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:25 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,404,161 times
GDOT is at it again. Why in the heck can't they repair 75/85 at night instead of during the day on the weekends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or