U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,019,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I heard that after the AOC visited the Barcelona games, they panicked because it apparently was a great party atmosphere. I think that played a part in putting together Centennial park. I was amazed how quickly the idea for Centennial Park was presented, funded, and completed.
This was exactly why Centennial Olympic Park was imagined and implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
...I really liked Stone Mountain at the time. I feel like it represented us well with all the lush forested areas of the park wrapping around everything, but I must say it was hard letting go of alot of things. Stone Mountain park before it was privatized use to have all sorts of goodies... batting cages, a putt-putt course, an ice skating rink, etc.. They weren't overcrowded or the nicest things either, but it was perfect for a public-park nearby.

Oh yea... and I will never forget the live newsfeed of the IOC announcing Atlanta. The news had a shot of people at underground Atlanta just screaming and jumping up and down as soon as it was announced. It really was an exciting moment that was hard to believe. I was very little at the time of course, but I remember how excited everyone was. (and as I typed this Lady's Man just posted a condensed video of that feed! Thanks! )
Yes, Stone Mountain was beautiful during the Olympics--I'm glad several events were held there. It was a great showpiece for Atlanta. An exquisite setting.

I think every Atlantan remembers where they were during the IOC Olympic announcement in September 1990. I was waiting by the door (watching the TV) before I had to run out to the school bus stop!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I was living near Georgia Tech at the time and remember hearing the fireworks going off with the announcement that Atlanta had won the games. Immediately, everything else was put on hold as all decisions at GT revolved around preparation for the games. I thought GT should cancel Summer 1996 classes but GT insisted on having that session. The idea was to hold classes at Southern Poly but that fell through so instead classes would be held at GT but as a split session. Start classes, suspend for the Olympics, and then complete.

Athens (Greece) was anticipating a win that day and prepared to party...they were stunned.
But hey, that 1996 summer was the best for Tech students! It was so long--fall classes/fall quarter didn't begin until the second week of October because they wanted to fit in a summer session/quarter after the Olympics were over.

During the summer of 1996, I was able to have a really cool Olympic job, and fit in an awesome state-level public-sector internship!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,127,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I also remember the banners. I agree they were neat. It would be great if we could hang seasonal banners and always have something up. I guess they are expensive and probably get ruined fairly easily. I remember you could buy the Olympic ones, I'm sure lots of people still have them.
Yeah, Billy Payne was doing everything he could to make the games pay for themselves. Not sure if Samaranch liked it as he closed the games without saying "best ever" but rather saying "exceptional".

But to Payne's credit, I believe the games broke even and Georgia Tech made out like a bandit with all its new dorms and a swimming facility, which was open air at the time but is now enclosed.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,273,490 times
You know... one more thing to add to the mix...

Compared to today.. there was more of a sense of unity around Atlanta. From people I meet and comments I read on these boards soo many more people today don't seem to have much of an affiliation with Atlanta.

They recently moved here... live in Forsyth or what not and never venture into town.

During that era we still had a city-centric mentality. Yes, people moved all the way out to Cobb and Gwinnett, but they were definitely Atlanta centric suburbs at the time.

The olympics really produced a unifying spirit, which seems like we are slowly moving away from it and many of the newcomers never saw that.

I have trouble explaining to some of my relatives that many people in Atlanta really don't follow the Falcons or even care about pro football. Our fan base is weak....given the size we are. Whereas they are Saints fans and in New Orleans the Saints are everything!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:24 PM

731 posts, read 645,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
You know... one more thing to add to the mix...

Compared to today.. there was more of a sense of unity around Atlanta. From people I meet and comments I read on these boards soo many more people today don't seem to have much of an affiliation with Atlanta.

They recently moved here... live in Forsyth or what not and never venture into town.

During that era we still had a city-centric mentality. Yes, people moved all the way out to Cobb and Gwinnett, but they were definitely Atlanta centric suburbs at the time.

The olympics really produced a unifying spirit, which seems like we are slowly moving away from it and many of the newcomers never saw that.

I have trouble explaining to some of my relatives that many people in Atlanta really don't follow the Falcons or even care about pro football. Our fan base is weak....given the size we are. Whereas they are Saints fans and in New Orleans the Saints are everything!
you are 100% correct about that. The Braves were really starting to take off around that time and it was exciting to be apart of that too. A lot of that excitement that was present in the 90's doesn't exist here anymore. It's sad.

Braves vs Pirates 1992 game 7 Resumen. - YouTube

Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,127,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
no problem cwkimbro! i was not even 10 years old when the olympics came to town, so unfortunately I do not remember much.. other than IZZY. LOL!!
Izzy was a flop. I saw "him" once inside the Village. They pretty much kept Izzy out of sight for the entire Olympics. I think the idea was to call him "What Iz It?" and it became "Izzy" for short. Izzy was to encompass all the sports and not be any particular one. Izzy plush toys were not in abundance. That was one of the AOC's low points.

Blaze the Phoenix was the followup Para-Olympic games mascot. Blaze should have been the Atlanta Olympics mascot as the Phoenix properly represents Atlanta. The AOC blew it with the Olympics mascot.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Sid....Sid...Sid...Sid... Sid!

I'll never forget I started one of those chants during the following world series! I remember sitting there amazed how I started yelling... 10 seconds later my section doing it... 30 seconds later the whole stadium was chanting. As a kid...it just made my day.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:33 PM

agree 100%
Quote:
Izzy was a flop. I saw "him" once inside the Village. They pretty much kept Izzy out of sight for the entire Olympics. I think the idea was to call him "What Iz It?" and it became "Izzy" for short. Izzy was to encompass all the sports and not be any particular one. Izzy plush toys were not in abundance. That was one of the AOC's low points.

Blaze the Phoenix was the followup Para-Olympic games mascot. Blaze should have been the Atlanta Olympics mascot as the Phoenix properly represents Atlanta. The AOC blew it with the Olympics mascot.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:40 PM

731 posts, read 645,651 times
aww izzy needs a hug now.. Google Image Result for http://www.imcmascots.com/mascots/olympics-mascot-izzy.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or